Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review Planescape: Torment Retrospective Review

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Black Isle Studios; Planescape: Torment

<p>After all these years <strong>Planescape: Torment</strong> finally gets the rating it deserves (9.6) and it <a href="http://www.manapool.co.uk/planescape-torment-review/" target="_blank">gets it from Manapool</a>.</p>
<blockquote>
<p>In addition, the player&rsquo;s moral and ethical choices can effect a number of things throughout the game in subtle ways. While there may not be some outward change akin to Fable or Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic, where you will gain horns and an ominous aura for being evil, you can pervert the lives of those around you &ndash; or even will them into or out of being, in some cases!</p>
<p>The dialogue is also spectacular, and aside from its depth and high quality, it also has an awful lot of options present within it. There are only three areas in the game where one absolutely must take part in combat, as dialogue (or running away) is possible &ndash; and sometimes even preferable &ndash; in every other situation!</p>
<p>The one failing of the gameplay is for those who are addicted to ever growing challenges. The combat encounters in Planescape: Torment are generally not very difficult, especially for the experienced player. This might disappoint those who are always in search of higher difficulty limits, but is probably not a consideration for most players.</p>
<p>This is made more evident by the fact that, as mentioned, it is very difficult for the protagonist to permanently lose. This is actually held up throughout the game; it&rsquo;s not that you are immortal, but every enemy is an expert anti-immortal assassin. Lots of the time, death is merely the beginning of another attempt.</p>
</blockquote>
<p>Spotted at: <a href="http://www.gamebanshee.com/news/100274-planescape-torment-retrospective-review.html">GB</a></p>

Phelot

Arcane
We probably could have done without another PST review or mention

bonescraper

Woah, one could think it's almost as good as Oblivion.

Angthoron

Arcane
Nice review, make sure you do your duty and shove it before your popamole-loving "friends", comrades.

Mrowak

Arcane
Project: Eternity
1eyedking said:
PS:T 2 NOW

:Looks at Interplay... Bioware... Whole EA... Bethesda... Blizzard... even Obsidian and CD Projekt Red:

:shock:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
PST is a very good game but 9.6? Bullshitz.

Even the best games ever aren't 9.6, and PST is not top 10 material. Sorry.

1eyedking

Erudite
PS:T shouldn't be judged by game standards. It doesn't fucking play like one. It was more of an experiment than anything else.

Mrowak said:
1eyedking said:

:Looks at Interplay... Bioware... Whole EA... Bethesda... Blizzard... even Obsidian and CD Projekt Red:

Pre-Witcher 2 CDPR would have pulled a decent effort.

Mrowak

Arcane
1eyedking said:
PS:T shouldn't be judged by game standards. It doesn't fucking play like one. It was more of an experiment than anything else.

This. Pitty that it failed financially. Otherwise abominations like Kotor, Ass Effect, or Dragun Age would not have been created... or better - would have looked entirely differently.

Mrowak said:
1eyedking said:

Well, we are still in pre-phase so there's still hope...

or am I being too optimistic?

Edit:

But frankly, no CD Projekt Red even at its top shape could not do it. They succeeded with Twitcher because they based their game on Sapkowski's excellent novels. Doing the same with D&D especially after 4.0 edition would be near impossible, in particular for a small relatively unknown dev team like them.

CrimHead

Scholar
If it weren't for Torment, I probably would've given up on Video Games altogether. Torment gives me hope for the future of the medium. The best piece of art I've ever had the pleasure of experiencing. I hesitate to even call it a video game, for fear of dumping it in with all those other... things. It can never get enough praise :salute:

PorkaMorka

Arcane
Not to be rude but...

I know our genre is dead that's sad and all, but let's try and man up a little.

It kind of makes us look a pathetic when we have

"some random site reviewed a game some of us enjoyed over 10 years ago and gave it a high score"

as news.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
FeelTheRads said:
It doesn't fucking play like one.

This just in: adventures and text adventures are not games.
Adventures and text adventures tend to not throw tons of trash combat at players. Also, adventure games usually include intellectual challenges.

BlaineMono

Liturgist
Awor Szurkrarz said:
Adventures and text adventures tend to not throw tons of trash combat at players. Also, adventure games usually include intellectual challenges.

also no LARPing amirite?

bonescraper

1eyedking said:
Hahaha, no. They wouldn't get close even. I'm a fucking Pole and even i can't stand your Twicher bullshit any longer.

Torment shouldn't get a sequel. As much as i love that game (it's my all-time favourite), let it rest in peace. I'm pretty sure it would be made to appeal to a broader audience this time. That would be a massive :decline:

CrimHead said:
The best piece of art I've ever had the pleasure of experiencing. I hesitate to even call it a video game, for fear of dumping it in with all those other... things. It can never get enough praise :salute:
:love:

Mrowak

Arcane
CrimHead said:
If it weren't for Torment, I probably would've given up on Video Games altogether.

Yes. Think how much happier we would have been if it had not happened... Not giving a flying fuck about consecutive destruction of RPGs, shruging off the existence Failout 3 or DA, not wasting time with RPG news in vain hope of the phenomenon ever repeating itself.

Planescape: Torment - destroyer of lives :love:

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
More like Planeturd Turdment.

Wait

bonescraper said:
CrimHead said:
The best piece of art I've ever had the pleasure of experiencing. I hesitate to even call it a video game, for fear of dumping it in with all those other... things. It can never get enough praise :salute:
:love:

What is this shit. Torment as a game totally sucks. And I'm not sure if you can call it art either (need some criteria here), maybe you can call it artistic but I wouldn't give it that much honors myself. If you think Torment is the epitome of gaming then you need to read a book or something, why are you getting your litterary thrills from an interactive medium? Doesn't make any sense. /Mondblut

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Awor Szurkrarz said:
Adventures and text adventures tend to not throw tons of trash combat at players.
Conveniently enough, neither did PST.

Unless you're one of those guys who grinded Undersigil for 10h then complained about all the unavoidable combat, right?

Multi-headed Cow

What about the bandits in the junkpiles? And the demons and shit? PST had plenty of terrible combat.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
CrimHead said:

Yes. :salute:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom