Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview Bard's Tale preview at IGN

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Tags: Bard's Tale (2005); InXile Entertainment

<a href=http://www.ign.com>IGN</a> has posted a <a href=http://xbox.ign.com/articles/543/543053p1.html>preview</a> of <a href=http://www.inxile-entertainment.com>The Bard's Tale</a>, the latest creation of <b>Brian Fargo</b>, who, accordng to IGN, is a "creator of Fallout and Baldur's Gate". Apparently, BT 2004 is "based loosely on the PC original", and "is a refreshing take on the seemingly overused Baldur's Gate engine".
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>So now that I've had some time to see what The Bard's Tale is all about, will it challenge some of the great RPGs coming out this year? Well, I dunno about that, but I do promise that it's an experience you just won't find in any other game. It's really a treat, at least three hours deep. But will that last the length of the game? I sure hope so, because this is a lengthy game.
<br>
<br>
Three hours in and I have yet to be introduced to the main story (though I know there is a significant one waiting). I have a feeling inXile just wants to get people settled into the Bard's world and how the snarky/nice system works before putting them into any true intrigue. But you will get to see some outside areas quickly and these are all very open, spacious places a la the wilderness in Norrath. </blockquote>
<br>
3 hours in and no main story in sight? OMG! They've cloned Morrowind!

Kamaz

Pahris Entertainment
Developer
3 hours without main-story would actually be OK, if that means deep and large game-world to explore and get acquainted with. Though, I seriously hope that it would not be Sacred-style large-world(tm). Even Morrowindish larg-world(tm) with BT humour would be way better. I really hope they have made something worthy.

DamnElfGirl

Liturgist
"A game hasn't made me laugh this hard since Conker's Bad Fur Day."

That pretty much says it all. Apparently, it's a hoot if you're into poop jokes.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Then check out the ElfGirl's signature, it's really sad and amusing at the same time:

I Looove Drizzt Do Urden! He is so pure-hearted and an awesome swordsman! And so Hotttt!!

I'm sorry but I honestly don't think I could survive reading a teeager post about how much she loves drizzt. I genuinely believe it would cause my head to implode.

I looked...

There are no words, its reassuring really to know that there are people out there so much worse off than you. Still you shouldn't encourage them....

jiujitsu

Cipher
Project: Eternity
Infinity engine? I'm glad to know that it wasn't scrapped. Hopefully Fargo can crank out something good.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Yeah, and since Fargo worked on Baldur's Gate, he knows the engine well. :lol:

Vault Dweller

Developer
I'm not sure what the IGN moron is talking about, but it's a fact that BT does use the DA engine.

jiujitsu

Cipher
Another case of "didn't read before I posted" has happend again. I read some ign interviews and learned that it's console crap, so fuck it.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
jiujitsu said:
Infinity engine? I'm glad to know that it wasn't scrapped. Hopefully Fargo can crank out something good.

Shame it wasn't scrapped after BG1, you mean.

Anyway, think the boys at IGN know the difference between Baldur's Gate[/ii] and Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance? Better yet, since it's the console side of IGN, I'd wonder if they actually knew there were PC games with the name, Baldur's Gate in the title.

suibhne

Erudite
jiujitsu said:
Another case of "didn't read before I posted" has happend again. I read some ign interviews and learned that it's console crap, so fuck it.

Oh, don't give up hope! I'm pretty sure it's coming to Windows.

Yay.

jiujitsu

Cipher
It hits PC in 2005. That doesn't mean it won't be console crap. The game is made for a console and PC is just an afterthought. Just like Deus Ex 2; worst sequel ever.

DamnElfGirl

Liturgist
StraitLacedDeviant said:
I looked...

There are no words, its reassuring really to know that there are people out there so much worse off than you. Still you shouldn't encourage them....

I'm just poking some friendly fun. Everybody does stupid stuff when they're a teenager. Hell, I used to listen to Debbie Gibson and loved Mercedes Lackey novels... when I was 12. It's when people keep doing that stuff at the age of 30 that makes me sad...

You know, like making the new Bard's Tale game. :)

Jed

Cipher
Princess Bride.
IGN Preview said:
But you will get to see some outside areas quickly and these are all very open, spacious places a la the wilderness in Norrath.
I didn't know that BT and Everquest shared the same setting.

dunduks

Liturgist
Mmmm, another overhyped PROFFESHUNAL preview solely based on vast amount of time (namely 3 hours) put into playing and analyzing this game. Well at least this game is revolutionary and innovative, becouse I've never seen cow tipping in rpg before.

Kamaz

Pahris Entertainment
Developer
Cow-tipping in cRPG never before? Youre kidding man [woman]? You said it ironically, didnt you?

Fallout - the only true cRPG ever made had cow-tipping feature included! Damn you! That was so great, to go and tip a cow. Oh, well, technically maybe it was not like cow but more brahmin, but its just terminology - how much cRPGs with real cows do we have anyways? And brahmin - cow - its pretty the same, just one is double and other - single.

DemonKing

Arcane
Two points:

1. Brian Fargo, creator of classics Fallout and Baldur's Gate...

Umm...now I know Fargo was CEO at Interplay for a while, but does he really deserve to be called the creator of these particular titles?

2. http://media.xbox.ign.com/media/660/660946/img_2320020.html

I don't need fantastic state of the art 3D engines with particle effects but when I see a screen shot I like to have some idea what I'm looking at. Is this supposed to be abstract or what? Somehow I don't think shots like this will send the title flying off store shelves.

It looks worse than some of those Torn screenies release years ago.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Cary Elwes will probably be the only saving grace this game has. My opinion is based on the screenshots.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom