Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Mass Effect 3 News Bundle

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: BioWare; Mass Effect 3

<p>Firstly, CVG compiled a list with things they <a href="http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=280812" target="_blank">want to see in Mass Effect 3</a>.</p>
<blockquote>
<p><strong>MAKE OR BREAK</strong><br />The loyalty missions in Mass Effect 2 are the most memorable parts of the game, not only were they full of outstanding gameplay moments but they also provided an opportunity for the player - and Shepard - to learn more about his team.<br /><br />Doing these missions often provided valuable insight into what makes that certain person tick and what motivates them, which often coloured how the player would play the rest of the game and treat that particular character.<br /><br />It's a given that we'd like to see more of these, but we'd also like to see the characters in Mass Effect 3 be more dynamic. In ME2, once you've lost the loyalty of a team member there was absolutely no way to gain it back, which in mechanical terms could mean you'd locked yourself into a certain progression path.<br /><br />We would love the opportunities to influence a characters loyalty beyond just the obvious 'loyalty missions', perhaps in numerous smaller 'make or break' moments that take place at various points of the game. This could also lend itself nicely to situations where your actions subtly affect the relationships between other members of the team, excluding you.</p>
</blockquote>
<p>Of course, <span style="text-decoration: line-through;">failing</span> deferred successing the loyalty missions should not lead to NOT gaining the loyalty. This is not fun. You should get the loyalty anyways, e.g. through romancing or just saying it: I want you to be loyal. OK, boss.</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>Additionally you can <a href="http://www.hiphopgamershow.com/new/confirmed-mass-effect-3-will-have-timed-decisions-thanks-to-alpha-protocol-multi-player-should-be-next-hhgs-121910/" target="_blank">learn at HipHopGamer</a> that Mass Effect 3 will have timed decisions, thanks to Alpha Protocol. I wanted to watch it but instinctively closed the browser tab rather soon so you will have to watch it yourself.</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>Spotted at: <a href="http://www.gamebanshee.com/news/100797-mass-effect-3-what-cvg-wants.html">Gamebanshee</a></p>

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
VentilatorOfDoom said:
Mass Effect 3 will have timed decisions, thanks to Alpha Protocol.

Well, Shepard in ME2 did look a bit silly when he had to wait 20 minutes for me to finish eating and click on a dialogue option, especially in situations that implied urgence.

Also, this feature will be much next-gen and therefore better in ME3, than it was in AP. There will be only 0.2 seconds delay time before Shepard automatically chooses appropriate response, based on his current paragon/renegade stats. This will ensure perfect dialogue flow and get rid of that annoying interactivity thing.

timed decisions
*tik tok tik tok*
Should i kill the bad guy now or later or not at all just to never see him again?
*tik tok tik tok*
Should i call that women a bitch to ruin my chance of a sex cutscene which i can watch on youtube?
*tik tok tik tok*
Should i attack the area form the left or the right side but explore everything anyway because i'm missing out loot if i don't?

grotsnik

Arcane
timed decisions

Nah. Read about that at the Banshee, and this was the quote they had-

Hip Hop Gamer: There's something I really like about Mass Effect, when you're talking with people you can choose what you want to say and make it more personal. I like that you can do that, but I didn't like that there's no time limit. I can fall asleep and the person will just be standing there with no answer. There's a game, Alpha Protocol, that gives you that pressure, you'll have to answer it real quick. Will we see that in Mass Effect 3, to add more intensity and realism to confrontations?

Muzyka: Yes. I think it adds a sense of visceral excitement to the experience, it's really critical. There's various ways to do that, but that's always real cool

That's not confirmation of timed dialogue - that's just Ray having verbal diarrhoea.

Lol - I can't wait for the legions of reviews raving about how great this new timed dialogue system is, and how awesome Bioware are for 'inventing' it.

Actually, the 'modify loyalty outside of loyalty missions' idea doesn't HAVE to be retarded. If you can lose loyalty as well as gaining it, it could be good - i.e. have one or two 'major' NPC quests, but still have them react to a bunch of other decisions of varying importance ala KoTOR 2 and MotB.

Then again, it's Bioware 2010 version, so you're probably right.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
grotsnik said:
That's not confirmation of timed dialogue - that's just Ray having verbal diarrhoea.

Watch the video, it's different from reading. Hip Hop Gamer asks that question, Muzyka kind of pauses and glances at Zeschuk as in "is this something I should answer?" then leans over and says "Yes." Just "Yes." That yes is followed by a break where Hip Hop Gamer hollers like a little girl shouting "are you kidding me?!" before Muzyka adds the rest. I didn't put that in because (pause as Hip Hop Gamer hollers) looks odd in an interview answer.

Consider it confirmed until you hear otherwise.

Silellak

Cipher
Freelance Henchman said:
Considering how Alpha Brotocols was the WORST GAME EVAR I'm amazed they're actually taking a feature from that into a flagship product. ITZ ALL AVELLONES FAULT
If that time limit runs out, the dialog response should default to a collar-grab.

Game of the Year.

:thumbsup:

SolipsisticUrge

Educated
I couldn't bring myself to watch the video after the introduction so I'll take everyone's word on it here, but timed dialogue wouldn't really bother me. In Alpha Protocol I found it somewhat silly but not problematic, just cut away from my "take a piss in the middle of this drawn-out conversation" abilities. Defaulting to GRAB COLLAR on timeout sounds like the best solution.

Azrael the Cat said:
Actually, the 'modify loyalty outside of loyalty missions' idea doesn't HAVE to be retarded. If you can lose loyalty as well as gaining it, it could be good - i.e. have one or two 'major' NPC quests, but still have them react to a bunch of other decisions of varying importance ala KoTOR 2 and MotB.

They did something akin to this (without the major loyalty-only quests) in Dragon Age, if I recall, but for some reason I don't hold much hope of seeing it in ME3. For one, it sounds like work, which they seem disinclined toward these days.

Phage

Arcane
Manlet
Azrael the cat said:
Lol - I can't wait for the legions of reviews raving about how great this new timed dialogue system is, and how awesome Bioware are for 'inventing' it.

I think the reviewers will rather applaud ME3 for taking immersion to a whole new level with timed dialogues.

I'm going to read too much into it and say that these little BioWare design "fuck-ups" seem a bit thought-out, actually. The more glaring and annoying the smallest flaws are, the less core gamers' attention span is spent on looking at the bigger, subtle ones.
"Well, the writing in this game seems somewhat sub-p-TEH DIALOG TIMSE OUT TO FAST I MUISSED A CHACNE TO FUCK AN ALEIN. THERE WAS SOMETHNG ELSE BUT I FORGOT LOL I STILL LUV YUR COCK BIOWARE"
Or something to that effect.

"BioWare?" "Thought-out?" Yeah, I know, but still, Mako? Planet scanning? Stats? Tell me you've never considered their presense annoying. And suspicious.

Dark Matter

Prophet
I've been wondering....did the Mass Effect games ever actually have any collar grabbing in them? I know they released a video before ME1 where Shephard grabs Garrus' collar but I'm pretty sure that never made it into the final game.

Phage

Arcane
Manlet
Multiple Sarcasm said:
I'm going to read too much into it and say that these little BioWare design "fuck-ups" seem a bit thought-out, actually. The more glaring and annoying the smallest flaws are, the less core gamers' attention span is spent on looking at the bigger, subtle ones.
"Well, the writing in this game seems somewhat sub-p-TEH DIALOG TIMSE OUT TO FAST I MUISSED A CHACNE TO FUCK AN ALEIN. THERE WAS SOMETHNG ELSE BUT I FORGOT LOL I STILL LUV YUR COCK BIOWARE"
Or something to that effect.

"BioWare?" "Thought-out?" Yeah, I know, but still, Mako? Planet scanning? Stats? Tell me you've never considered their presense annoying. And suspicious.

You're reading into it too much.

You should keep into consideration that the average gamer (and reviewer) doesn't have the patience for games with good writing. Mass Effect manages to keep their attention, and ends up providing some of the best writing for such a game.

I'm not excusing the sub-par dialogues, just pointing out why they get so much praise.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
HipHopGamer?

No, really?

screenshot3.jpg

marc-eckos-getting-up-contents-under-pressure-20050518051829229.jpg

BEST GAEM EVAR 10/10

Pegultagol

Erudite
What we will have next is the Bullet Time for these timed dialogue sequences, complete with ponderous reflections supplied by the inner voice of Shephard himself. The skill will be called 'Introspection' and will be one of the special unlocked skills for Paragon characters.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Pegultagol said:
What we will have next is the Bullet Time for these timed dialogue sequences, complete with ponderous reflections supplied by the inner voice of Shephard himself. The skill will be called 'Introspection' and will be one of the special unlocked skills for Paragon characters.
Renegades on the other hand will have the 'Conviction' skill, which will make all dialogue choices the right choices, usually by adding collar-grabbing or EXTREME.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom