Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

A History of RPGs – Event Horizon Software

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
<p>JarlFrank takes a nostalgic look at the <a href="http://rpgcodex.net/content.php?id=216">early games created by Event Horizon Software</a>, that is, the years before they became DreamForge Intertainment (that "I" is not a typo - God only knows why they picked that monicker):</p>
<p> </p>
<p style="padding-left: 30px;">While their earlier works were much more obscure than the EoB-style games they made later on, they were very interesting and, at the time, unique experiences that can be put into the same sub-genre as Diablo, but with much more depth than either Diablo or any of its clones would ever achieve. If they had continued to develop games in the style of Dusk, Summoning and VoD, maybe the sub-genre of the Action-RPG would look vastly different today, with more dialogues, non-linear stories and puzzles than Diablo&rsquo;s simple kill-and-loot gameplay.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>This is what happens when you change your company's name to some kind of popamole bullshit.</p>

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Good stuff! Thanks for the retrospective there JF! I recently downloaded The Summoning, but wasn't aware of Dusk of the Gods or VoD. Never played the EoB games for some reason but Anvil of Dawn is a great game(I know it's under their later incarnation). Another good developer undeservedly defunct while turds keep staying afloat :(

mondblut

Arcane
Good one. Too bad I don't like their games :D I think their track record as Dreamforge would be welcome in the article as well.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
does anyone know if the parsley thing from vod had any roots in real-life superstitions/myths or if it was purely their invention?
commie said:
Never played the EoB games for some reason but Anvil of Dawn is a great game(I know it's under their later incarnation).
didn't play ravenloft 2, but the first one and menzoberranzan were pretty good. dungeon hack is also quite noteworthy due to being an eob-style roguelike with a fuckton of options.

mondblut

Arcane
SuicideBunny said:
dungeon hack is also quite noteworthy due to being an eob-style roguelike with a fuckton of options.

WUT? fuckton of options? like, where?

DungHack was as much of a roguelike as diablow. It's a basic EOB3 modded for one character and random dungeons, and that's it. There is not a single option and interactivity that makes roguelikes, well, roguelikes rather than pacman clones.

And Ravenloft 2 is their best game, btw.

Andhaira

Arcane
Are these the same people that made Veil of Darkness? If so, it's without out a doubt their best game.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Never heard of these games, to be honest, and they look worth the time to check them out. Thanks for the article, JarlFrank.

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Nice article about great (except Darkspyre, it was just OK) games.
Some day I'll finish Dusk of the Gods.
AndhairaX said:
Are these the same people that made Veil of Darkness? If so, it's without out a doubt their best game.
I like Summoning more.

Andhaira

Arcane
Well, the Summoning was more of an RPG (dungeon crawler though) while VoiD was more of an adventure game (though it had far more NPC interaction).

I just found VoD to be more prettier and had a very engaging story. It did horror very well. Discovering the werewolf was a thrilling moment, for instance.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Veil of Darkness was p. good.

Thanks for the effort, JF!
:thumbsup:

JarlFrank said:
maybe the sub-genre of the Action-RPG would look vastly different today, with more dialogues, non-linear stories and puzzles than Diablo’s simple kill-and-loot gameplay.

:hopeful mode on: Sounds a lot like what Dungeon Siege 3 could turn out to be in case Obsidian manages to pull it off. :hopeful mode off: But we all know they can't, don't we?

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
AndhairaX said:
Well, the Summoning was more of an RPG (dungeon crawler though) while VoiD was more of an adventure game (though it had far more NPC interaction).
Yes, and I prefer first type of games ;)
AndhairaX said:
I just found VoD to be more prettier and had a very engaging story. It did horror very well. Discovering the werewolf was a thrilling moment, for instance.
Indeed, it was memorable.

denizsi

Arcane
massive :incline: of JungFrau.

Some of the actual images are dead or mislinked.

they went bankrupt in 1999, in the middle of developing a game in the Werewolf World of Darkness setting which never got finished.

:x

I find it incredibly annoying and equally sloppy and stupid on White Wolf's part that WoD has been terribly underused / ignored by game industry and spawned only a single good game (BL), a mediocre one (Redemption) and a short series of shitty action games (Reckoning).

And before either WoD setting could be further explored in potential future games, they went full retardo by rebooting the entire franchise with an emofag theme. The whole deal is almost unreal.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
denizsi said:
I find it incredibly annoying and equally sloppy and stupid on White Wolf's part that WoD has been terribly underused / ignored by game industry and spawned only a single good game (BL), a mediocre one (Redemption) and a short series of shitty action games (Reckoning).

And before either WoD setting could be further explored in potential future games, they went full retardo by rebooting the entire franchise with an emofag theme. The whole deal is almost unreal.

Since White Wolf was merged with CCP back in 2006, there has been a World Of Darkness MMO in production, but work goes slowly. All of CCP's efforts on the WoD front have been put into trying to make a 3D engine for it, but it would be "tested" first in EvE Online in the much-lauded "Walking in stations" expansion which is due next summer. The results of years of development yielded little to nothing of significance, so CCP were forced to license the Unreal 3 engine earlier this year to get the Walking in stations expansion (now called Incarna) out any time soon. Whether that will lead to WoD being powered by Unreal 3 is uncertain. Whether CCP actually survives long enough to get a WoD MMO out the door is uncertain.

I have a question for JarlFrank: Considering that Dungeon Hack uses a lot of resources (graphics, sound, game engine) from Eye Of The Beholder 3, is it possible that EOB3 was actually finished by Dreamforge? Or did SSI, now that it had EOB3 steaming in its lap, decided to cut costs and just told DreamForge to use the EOB3 resources?

Fens

Ford of the Llies
JarlFrank said:
DreamForge Intertainment (that "I" is not a typo - God only knows why they picked that monicker)
but... but... it's interactive and entertainment in one word ! ONE WORD !

thanks for the article... some interesting stuff

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
denizsi said:
Some of the actual images are dead or mislinked.

Some? ALL of them are mislinked, actually.

Dusk of the Gods kinda reminds me of Heimdall 2.

I need to play Heimdall 2 again :(

Anyway, cool article. Might check out Veil of Darkness later.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Unkillable Cat said:
Since White Wolf was merged with CCP back in 2006, there has been a World Of Darkness MMO in production, but work goes slowly.(...) Whether CCP actually survives long enough to get a WoD MMO out the door is uncertain.

And when (if) it's actually released, most people will think it's some kind of Twilight The Game.
I think the optimal time for WoD games has already passed. This universe has lost its momentum a while ago.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Unkillable Cat said:
I have a question for JarlFrank: Considering that Dungeon Hack uses a lot of resources (graphics, sound, game engine) from Eye Of The Beholder 3, is it possible that EOB3 was actually finished by Dreamforge? Or did SSI, now that it had EOB3 steaming in its lap, decided to cut costs and just told DreamForge to use the EOB3 resources?

I haven't heard anything about that, and I just checked if DreamForge had anything to do with EoB3. There's nothing that would point to it.
Probably they just bought the assets to cut some development time/cost.

denizsi

Arcane
MicoSelva said:
Unkillable Cat said:
Since White Wolf was merged with CCP back in 2006, there has been a World Of Darkness MMO in production, but work goes slowly.(...) Whether CCP actually survives long enough to get a WoD MMO out the door is uncertain.

And when (if) it's actually released, most people will think it's some kind of Twilight The Game.
I think the optimal time for WoD games has already passed. This universe has lost its momentum a while ago.

Perhaps in PnP circles, but computer gaming is an ageless medium. More importantly, it's all about advertising and PR. Also surprising is there are so few vampire themed games outside adventure genre and the Shitvania series. The theme is like a gold mine waiting to be tapped into.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
mondblut said:
WUT? fuckton of options? like, where?
tons of generation options, like percentage of water in levels, multilevel puzzles, and a lot more. beats not having any generation options whatsoever, which is roguelike and randomized actchun rpg standard.

mondblut

Arcane
Unkillable Cat said:
Considering that Dungeon Hack uses a lot of resources (graphics, sound, game engine) from Eye Of The Beholder 3, is it possible that EOB3 was actually finished by Dreamforge? Or did SSI, now that it had EOB3 steaming in its lap, decided to cut costs and just told DreamForge to use the EOB3 resources?

The second is much more likely.

mondblut

Arcane
SuicideBunny said:
tons of generation options, like percentage of water in levels, multilevel puzzles, and a lot more. beats not having any generation options whatsoever, which is roguelike and randomized actchun rpg standard.

Ah, that. I think the "roguelike options" relates more to digging through dungeon walls, eating all kinds of corpses and so on. The ingame options, not dungeon generator.

ElectricOtter

Hahaha, wow, this takes me back. Darkspyre was actually the first RPG I ever played. I remember Anvil of Dawn too. Thanks for the great article, Jarlfrank. I'll have to try out Dusk of the Gods, I'm a sucker for games based on Celtic or Norse mythology.

Hey, wait a minute... DreamForge Intertainment... aren't those the guys that made Sanitarium?

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
ElecTriCotter said:
Hey, wait a minute... DreamForge Intertainment... aren't those the guys that made Sanitarium?

Yes, they are.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom