Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Another Troika tech demo screenshot surfaces

Spazmo

Erudite
Tags: Leonard Boyarsky; Troika Games

<b>Leon Boyarsky</b> has sent a fourth screenshot of Troika's post-apocalyptic RPG tech demo out. This time, <a href=http://www.duckandcover.cx>Duck and Cover</a> got the goodies. Check it out <a href=http://www.duckandcover.cx/images/news/new2.JPG>here</a>. No robots this time, unfortunately, but Hal Halberd is back.

Stark

Liturgist
now if only we know more about the 4 projects that are on-going in Troika...

Kamaz

Pahris Entertainment
Developer
I dunno, from such distance I'd say it could be as gun as that spike-like thingy[halbert?], but in that very bad screenshot with that robot, char was much closer and it did not look like a rifle with blade attached to me. Maybe its just low-detail issue.

Of course, I would love to know its a gun. Anyways, am I the only one who sees this Hal Halbert-
halhalbert.jpg

as this guy -
rw_b.jpg

from Chris Glenn's artwork? Too much of a coincidence if its coincidence, I must say... That could mean those 3d models - as well as enviroment - come from actual game and are not temporary test models from some other projects. Its easy to note the overall "redness" of pictures, which reminds me of Arcanum's browness and Fallouts grey'ness:). And, of course, the other CGlenn's artwork, concerning wastland theme.

This all leads to the fact, that there will be big metal useless mechs. Which is bad. Although, the amount of tires laying around gives a birth to another thought - there will be plenty of cars too!
[One of the problems in post-apoc you mentioned were tires. See, in those pictures there are tons of tires..and, whats the most important - tires look very well, I can be allmost absolutly sure that it is possible to stick one working tire from 5 these. If other problem is fuel, then if there's enough fuel to power some cranky junkbot, there will allways be possibility of boosting up some decent car. If you are doubting about complexity of all the mechanical parts and repairing problems, dont worry, see, that mech is kewl, it has so many smart, little, high-tech parts to take car of in order to function properly, any avarage car would never even dream of. And if you want to say this fucking piece of shit [the mech] is alien-made, why couldnt they just bring some cars with them, those f**g bastards?! Anyways, to be serious, I doubt it is alien bot, because it has the same design style as everything around and has the same rust level.]
To sum up everything - Troika, if you hear this and if you intend to bring useless, un-realistic mechs in your PA game, know that you should bring some decent cars too. Blade has two edges, ya know.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
It's a gun with a big blade at the tip. Why the hell else would he be carrying it like that? If it was just a halberd it wouldn't have a butt or an arm-handle like rifles do. What size is your monitor? It looks like a gun with a blade at the end to me on my 19".

Here's a close-up zoom courtesy of me.

redguy.jpg

I wonder how people can get confused by this and say 'oh, no. that's just a coincidence. theyre not the same thing'. Yes they are.

As for the mechs, Kamaz, you're the only one here who doesn't like mechs.

Stark

Liturgist
hahaha.... Kamaz, what wrong with you with the mechs? or the tires for that matter?

we still dunno nuts about the setting. it's PA, but for all we know, it can be set 5 years right after the disaster (whatever it is). would tires not make sense then?

We can start picking it apart only when things do not make sense, and we can only do that if more details are unveiled...

The graphics look good even when enlarged... hmm... this game definately has potential.

Surlent

Liturgist
Those screens look great.
Hope Troika gets publisher for the game.

Kamaz

Pahris Entertainment
Developer
Hahaa! I am not the only one! -
rasta_kid said:
I don't like mechs.

I have nothing against mechs as long as there are cars aswell. No cars - no mechs, no mechs...no mechs. And tires I mentioned because I was full of joy they were there - that means there will be possible cars [I mean, technically] so Troika's designers wont have any excsues if they launch the title without cars but with mechs.

Exitium, I said that this guy and that guy, those both guys [if you are still following], that bunch of guys are the same person because I wanted to point out that this material most likely is not without any purpose. Thats for those who claim "We dunno anything yet. Its not even a game.", because those models and enviroment are created specially for this project, so you just cannot say "we dunno anything 'bout the game" because it is most likely that design(in general lines) is created allready for this game and actual work [3d models/engine/enviroment mapping] is started or at least was started even if interrupted later. I seriously doubt serious developers would play with such concept for such a long period of time just for demonstration purposes. My closest guess is that they started the project year ago looking forward to Fallouts license. Having lost in competion they have frozen the project [maybe] until they find the publisher or whatever they seek. Only thing I doubt for is that it is clear this design and Fallouts design are different even being post-apoc both. That would mean, this project was not meant to be Fallout3, but as a standalone IP from its beginning. And seeing so much work and money being invested, I would guess its much more developed than we can immagine and the pro is still in active development.[Although our pervert fantasies are quite tough concurrence.] Developers mostly avoidto show something like that without strong believe it will be finished. [With IPLY its another story.]

Sol Invictus

Erudite
I do not think that the desert guy and the mech have anything to do with the seemingly 50s setting. They are all probably separate graphics made for separate projects that have nothing to do with each other. It's a tech demo.

As we all know, Troika failed to get the Fallout 3 license, which is probably what the background was created for, with the old 50s cars.

Personally I am more interested in the Hal Halberd setting, assuming the project for him is still alive. It looks very Dune-ish, and I'd like to se something besides mechs or the retro-50s thing.

Whipporowill

Erudite
It's been fricking stated that the guy was for the older setting they played around (was too bizarre it seems) with - and was only used since he was skinned and ready. GET OVER IT. Don't anyone remember anything? Sheesh.

Screenshot looks awesome, and I actually like the halberd gun anyway.

Kamaz, your guesses are clueless. I had to say it, so please stop.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"so Troika's designers wont have any excsues if they launch the title without cars but with mechs."

No. It's their game. As long as the prospective publisher agrees they can put anything they want in the game. That could mean mech, no cars, boobies, no guns, dwarves, space stations, you name it.

The screenshot looks okay though I think the ones released with the super hyped interview were better...

Taoreich

Liturgist
Is all of this kvelling really over a few screenshots of a tech demo?

Is the legacy of a game, now seven years old, truly great enough to overshadow the oft-acknowledged short-comings of Troika's products to the point where the codex is fawning over pretty pictures? Let's have a quick baselining session, shall we?

Arcanum- Widely praised for it's story, more widely decried for it's combat and mechanics
ToEE- Praised for it's combat and mechanics, largely panned for the shallow story and innumerable bugs
Now we have some nice screenshots. No story info, no real mechanic details; nothing really except the knowledge that Troika is shopping for a publisher. And to this we have the following reactions:

"That's awesome."
"Good job troika."
"Very sweet. Do they need beta testers?"

Is it possible that the Codex has, dare I say....hope?

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Yeah, I don't even know why they're getting all worked up over it. It's just a tech demo.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom