Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings Interview

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: CD Projekt; Witcher 2, The

<p>Tom's Oyun <a href="http://oyun.thgtr.com/node/33816" target="_blank">scored an exclusive interview</a> with CDProject's Tomasz Gop.</p>
<p>Did you know that...</p>
<blockquote>
<p>The Witcher is not just one of the best games of 2007, it is also one of the most memorable RPG in video game history. Adapted from Andrzej Sapkowski&rsquo;s series of short stories and five novels by Polish developer CD Projekt, this delicious game presents a gritty world filled with a fascinating storyline, interesting and deep characters, moral choices and beautiful places to explore. If you haven&rsquo;t joined the mysterious journey of Geralt, it&rsquo;s obvious that you are not late. Because there are still four months until The Witcher 2:&nbsp; Assassins of Kings&rsquo; cuddling the game shelves up (hopefully in May 2011).</p>
</blockquote>
<p>And some more:</p>
<blockquote>
<p><strong>THGTR:</strong> As far as we have seen from videos we&rsquo;ll have a new combat system too. The system in the first game is kind of &ldquo;love it&rdquo; or &ldquo;hate it&rdquo;. Can we say that this time we&rsquo;ll have a more fluent and dynamic combat system. Can you give some information on this?</p>
<p><strong>Tomasz Gop:</strong> We had kind-of dual feedback on the combat system from the previous game. Some people loved it, others (especially ones that were mostly into the story) thought it might have been less hardcore. What we did, because of that, is we enhanced on the advanced features (more skills, more ways to combine different tactics), but at the same time (especially on the easiest game difficulty setting) we made it all optional. If you chose to play on &lsquo;easy&rsquo;, the game won&rsquo;t require the alchemy usage or any other in-depth features.</p>
<p><strong>THGTR:</strong> Will there be ranged weapons? I know that Geralt is not that kind of warrior, but maybe some exceptions?</p>
<p><strong>Tomasz Gop: </strong>Yes, some. :)</p>
<p><strong>THGTR:</strong> I guess there will be lots of improvements on alchemy and crafting system too.</p>
<p><strong>Tomasz Gop: </strong>Alchemy has been improved, but not totally changed. Crafting, on the other hand, is a totally new thing. We&rsquo;ve introduced dozens or even hundreds of customizable items, weapons and parts of armor. Some of them are unique, for some of them you will need schematics and a crafter to get it&hellip; It&rsquo;s gonna be lots of fun!</p>
</blockquote>
<p>I liked the alchemy. You know, I would craft nigredo dominant white honey potions and then I would drink one and all toxity would be gone but I'd still have +20% damage for several hours. Muhhahhhaha. Yes.</p>
<p>Spotted at: <a href="http://www.gamebanshee.com/news/101275-the-witcher-2-assassins-of-kings-preview-and-interview.html">GB</a></p>

Monocause

Arcane
"we're totally awesome" PR strategy of CDP is getting annoying even for a hardcore potato like myself.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I have an idea for new DRM system.

They should include potato to every game copy. That would increase sales by 500% in Eastern Europe. Oh, and sex cards as a game cards. Another 300% guaranteed worldwide and 700% in the US.

torpid

Liturgist
VentilatorOfDoom said:
Because there are still four months until The Witcher 2:  Assassins of Kings’ cuddling the game shelves up (hopefully in May 2011).

"Cuddling the game shelves?" Dude should not be using metaphors with his shaky grasp of English.

And that response about the combat being too hardcore sure sounds like dumbing down.

torpid

Liturgist
Tomasz Gop: I think so – depending on player’s choices, some of the locations in the game will remain closed, so one would need a second playthrough in order to see every place in the game. Same goes for characters, sidequests... and sex even!

They're becoming like Bioware.

But a European Bioware -- no shitty romances, only sinful casual sex.

Decado

Old time handsome face wrecker
Patron
Codex 2014
Lol @ dumb Eurofags' poor grasp of English. AND SEX EVEN!!!!

Jim Cojones

Prophet
We had kind-of dual feedback on the combat system from the previous game. Some people loved it, others (especially ones that were mostly into the story) thought it might have been less hardcore.
This begs for a Codex interview with questions like:

When talking about fans' reception of combat in the first game, you concentrate on saying that many of them have found it "too hardcore". Are you aware that there were also complains about lack of options, enemies being not varied enough and, perhaps most commonly, abundance of filler encounters? Will the sequel be any better in these terms?

What could people find so hardcore about simplistic Diablo-like combat system where you click repeatedly on enemy until he dies, but with timing?

Sadly, it probably wouldn't be answered.

Konjad said:

They should include potato to every game copy. That would increase sales by 500% in Eastern Europe. Oh, and sex cards as a game cards. Another 300% guaranteed worldwide and 700% in the US.
And what makes it a DRM system? Would the game require scanning your potato every time you run it?

bonescraper

Konjad said:

Fuck yeah, another quality potato joke. Oh Konjad, you so crazy!

Globbi

Augur
A big exclusive interview in which they're just asking if things they read in another interviews are real.

CreamyBlood

Arcane
THGTR: As far as we have seen from videos we’ll have a new combat system too. The system in the first game is kind of “love it” or “hate it”.

I hated it. I remember enjoying the tutorial section but near the end of the first chapter I felt insulted. I never continued.

Tomasz Gop: We had kind-of dual feedback on the combat system from the previous game. Some people loved it, others (especially ones that were mostly into the story) thought it might have been less hardcore.

Simon says? Seriously, just make it a button mashing extravaganza if .... nevermind, I was never so disappointed in basic game mechanics. I could not muster up the strength to trudge through that clickety-click sword thing. At least I made it to the Butcher level in Diablo. Twice.

misha

Educated
about sex issue; i love western hipocrisy - in most of u.s. games 10 minutes without blood, brain explosions and other flesh pudding all around the place and screen are sth unnatural... BUT if sb put there tits THIS is sick and/or unmoral and/or primitive - i know that witcher is not shiny, fluffy, cute and "high" fantasy like nwn, but it is based on story and atmosphere of certain novels where the world is different to FR etc.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom