Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Company News Snow White, Donald Duck and Hair Falling Out

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Interplay

<p>Let Ausir <a href="http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/User_blog:Ausir/Bethesda_vs._Interplay_court_transcripts:_Snow_White,_Donald_Duck_and_hair_falling_out" target="_blank">take you on a funny ride</a> through Bethesda vs. Interplay court transcripts. Have I ever mentioned that lawyers are the bane of modern society? There, I mentioned it.</p>
<blockquote>
<p><span class="va-newsquote-text">Interplay has one little lawyer and Mr. Kaen handling this. I think Mr. Leader said that they had something like seven or eight lawyers from DLA representing them at the time all looking through this.
<p>I submit to you they left it out, but completely explaining what was going to be part of that. But what is interesting is they didn't come to this Court previously and simply say to you at the preliminary injunction, we want an injunction Judge because they don't have any right to do anything wit it except put a game out there with a mark Fallout on it.</p>
That would have been simple and why didn't they do that? Because I submit that Mr. Leader and Mr. Lesher in declarations, they knew what the intent was, they knew that Interplay was going to make a game that looked like Fallout, they knew that it was going to have similar characters to it, they wouldn't have had to make the arguments that they are making now had they really believed that is what it was before. To think anything else is simply ridiculous.</span></p>
</blockquote>
<p>The next law firm Bethesda hires will be capable of spelling names correctly, or so I heard. That's what I call improvement.</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Lawyer said:
Bethesda wants you to say, look it is only the word Fallout and that is all they get to do and they get to slap it on some game. What game do we slap that mark on?

Do we slap it on a game where people are losing their hair and as hair falls out we say, okay it is a Fallout game?

Do we put that on a game that says that there are people falling out of windows and when they hit the ground we killthem and we say that is a Fallout and they are falling out of cars or do we put it on some car racing game set in a time that is not an apocalyptic time like a Fallout game?
Hmmm... A game where people fall out of windows and you kill them. It's... original.

That Bethesda would say it is okay, you can put out a game with a bunch of rainbow ponies prancing around and we will call it Fallout and Bethesda is going to say, that is great because people are going to really understand it is related to Fallout? The answer is no.
I want to play Fallout: A Rainbow Prancing Pony Game. :(

... and it's funny, it's bullshit legal arguments like the one Bethesda are trying to make that just results in legal agreements with another 100+ pages of crap in them. Some lawyers really do need to be shot.

ortucis

Prophet
DarkUnderlord said:
Hmmm... A game where people fall out of windows and you kill them. It's... original.

Not really. Go and play Rampage.

Ausir

Arcane
The next law firm Bethesda hires will be capable of spelling names correctly, or so I heard. That's what I call improvement.

The spelling is the court reporter's, not Bethesda's lawyer's.

Pika-Cthulhu

Arcane
Court reporter, or stenographer? If its a reporter, its just another sign of the :decline: and needs shot for being incompetent enough to find out correct spelling, double for stenographer.

Wisteria

Novice
Major_Blackhart said:
So, is it me or does Iply appear to be making Beth lawyers out to be complete fools?

I think it's more that Beth made some really poor, scummy decisions and now they are pretty much fucked. I don't think anyone could buy their bullshit, and attempting to fuck over interplay will probably cost them the fallout license. It's pretty funny, really.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I think they are rather trying to stall the whole process as much as possible, waiting for Interplay to completely go out of business - since they probably won't be able to release their potentially life-saving Fallout MMO before the case is resolved - and then buy the rest of the license really cheaply.

Radisshu

Prophet
MicoSelva said:
I think they are rather trying to stall the whole process as much as possible, waiting for Interplay to completely go out of business - since they probably won't be able to release their potentially life-saving Fallout MMO before the case is resolved - and then buy the rest of the license really cheaply.

Yeah, this. Companies have pulled this against individual people, who lack the funds to afford lawyers for a prolonged period, a bunch of times, but doing it against another company might, I guess, be a little more risky.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
I don't care what scummy lawyer tricks Bethesda uses as long as they destroy interplay. The ends justifies the means. Herve has been raping IPLY's corpse long enough.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Xor said:
I don't care what scummy lawyer tricks Bethesda uses as long as they destroy interplay. The ends justifies the means. Herve has been raping IPLY's corpse long enough.

I'm sorry but it's Bethesda which raped Fallout the most. Interplay is a lesser of evils because it released more good games before turning to shit.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
The only reason bethesda had access to Fallout in the first place is because Herve canceled Van Buren.

Black

Arcane
Xor said:
The best option would be they both destroying each other.
But Iplay is in no way as"evil" as bethesda.

The only reason bethesda had access to Fallout in the first place is because Herve canceled Van Buren.
Who owns Fallout doesn't really matter. What matters is if they are able and willing to do it right. Bethesda could've made a good and proper Fallout sequel and my guess is it'd take no more than half their fo3 marketing budget to do it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom