Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Morrowinding Skyrim

Jason

chasing a bee
Tags: Bethesda Softworks; Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

<p>While <a href="http://www.oxm.co.uk/26155/bethesdas-todd-howard-on-elder-scrolls-5-skyrim/" target="_blank">speaking with OXM</a>, Codex hero Todd Howard had some surprisingly encouraging things to say about the direction of <strong>Skyrim</strong>.</p>
<blockquote>"With Oblivion, we're dealing with the capital province, and we wanted to get back to the more classic Arena and Daggerfall feel of a fantasy world that felt more refined and welcoming," Howard reflects. "A place that you instantly understood.<br /><br />"But in that, we sacrificed some of what made Morrowind special; the wonder of discovery. With Skyrim, we're trying to bring some of that back and walk the line between Morrowind and Oblivion. Where it's at first familiar looking, but has its own unique culture and spin on it.<br /><br />The Bethesda veteran summarises Skyrim's aesthetic as "epic reality", mystical yet "grounded". The wintry province is among the more venerable of Tamriel's human civilizations, and Bethesda wants to convey the impression "that this province is the original home of men, that they built things long ago that seem fantastical, but are very real, and could be built here on earth given enough time.<br /><br />"We stay away from high fantasy elements in the art itself, and keep it grounded in whatever the reality of the world is."</blockquote>
<p><br /><em>Thanks to Crispy for all the links, love, and laughter</em></p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Thankfully Bethesda has never lied about stuff before. This must be the fucking best game ever made.

1_5F00_Todd-Howard-Game-Director-Fallout-3-_2600_-Pete-Hines-_2D00_-Bethesda-PR.jpg_2D00_550x350.jpg

We always tell the truth, motherfuckers. We never use deceptive practices. Honest.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
Reptilian Shapeshifter said:
1_5F00_Todd-Howard-Game-Director-Fallout-3-_2600_-Pete-Hines-_2D00_-Bethesda-PR.jpg_2D00_550x350.jpg

We always tell the truth, motherfuckers. We never use deceptive practices. Honest.

Are they grinning about the fact that they get away with lies or the fact they are going to make a shit ton of money regardless of what they say?

Wyrmlord III

Formerly Hot Rod Todd Howard
Skyrim lost some of the magic of Oblivion, but it'll all be back in Summerisle dudes!

Summerisle will totally find that sweetspot between Skyrim and Oblivion. You'll be playing it and you'll be all ’Oh yeah, dude, you're hitting that spot!'

Trust me bros.

:thumbsup:

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
Jaesun said:
Thankfully Bethesda has never lied about stuff before. This must be the fucking best game ever made.

Maybe they honestly believe in what they say. Self-delusion is a powerful thing.

Nope

Liturgist
Kirkbride did say something similar to that a few weeks back over at the Imperial Library.
http://imperial-library.info/content/elder-scrolls-v?page=8
Maybe I shouldn't say this for fear of being All Authorative and shit, but, guys, Skyrim is seriously in good hands. It's a return to form that is both the best of Morrowind and the best of Oblivion.

Yeah, I wrote that last part. *I* did.

We're going back to Tamriel, people. Show some hope.

Serpent in the Staglands Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
You know, if they really wanted to bring back the "discovery" sense of Morrowind, they really shouldn't have picked Skyrim as the place for the game. I mean, the Black Marsh and Elsweyr have so much more of that alien feeling like Morrowind did. I can't imagine a nordic-themed area really feeling very alien to western players.

I guess it doesn't matter since game will be shit anyways, but I would be a lot more interested if the game was set in one of those two other places.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
TheUnFlickable said:
omfg. CNN and now Todd Howard? Capitol not Capital. Ausir already been through this. It is almost as frequent as the damn chat room girls that be like:

SENTANCE. NO. Sentence fool.
A capitol is a building housing an elected assembly, and will typically be found in its nation's capital.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Blackadder said:
Jaesun said:
Well said Blackadder. :obviously:

Thank you my fine fellow.

I remembered the old Rollins band song, 'Liar' and thought I would use a couple of stills from the filmclip.

I hereby move that this filmclip and song be used as the official Games Industry soundtrack.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iaysTVcounI

Edited.

That is a most excellent song good sir. :obviously:

That song should play in the background, every time a Bethesda News Post is posted here.

That song should play in the background, every time a Bethesda News Post is posted here.

I doubt we will get a concensus on this here until after skyrims release. Everyone is forgetting their previous fibbing about Oblibion and Fallout 3, even more so after the amusing fall of Bioware.

Fuck guys. This is Bethesda admitting that their latest game was, in at least some ways, weaker then previous games. That's the most honest I've seen them be, and more than most developers. Its not out of the question Skyrim could be some kind of incline towards what Morrowind was.

This is Bethesda admitting that their latest game was, in at least some ways, weaker then previous games.

Why silly me!

But....they did this when they were creating Fallout3; "Oh I know we did a few things wrong in Oblibion...."

Oh well. Better luck next time.

Overweight Manatee said:
Fuck guys. This is Bethesda admitting that their latest game was, in at least some ways, weaker then previous games. That's the most honest I've seen them be, and more than most developers.

Isn't this par for the course with both critics *and* developers when the newest game in a series is coming out?
All of a sudden the various problems they were willing to overlook or straight out gloss over get brought up in interviews "Yeah, we kinda messed up, but it was a learning experience."

Then the new game comes up and we find out what they learned was "Needs more mubcrab."

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom