Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Deus Ex Human Revolution News Bits

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Tags: Deus Ex: Human Revolution; Eidos Montreal

<p> </p>
<p><a href="http://ps3.incgamers.com/Interviews/319/deus-ex-human-revolution-qa">IncGamers has a small email interview</a> they conducted with Jean-Francois Dugas, Deus Ex: Human Revolution's Game Director:</p>
<p> </p>
<blockquote>
<p><strong>Jean Francois Dugas</strong>: It is really important to us to respect the core values that made the original game outstanding, but we also know that we need to bring new ideas to the table that will elevate the experience for old fans, while adding new levels of excitement and surprise that will draw newcomers into the Deus Ex world. </p>
</blockquote>
<p> </p>
<p><a href="http://www.shacknews.com/article/67902/interview-deus-ex-human-revolution-1">ShackNews also has a small interview</a> with Jean-Francois Dugas:</p>
<p> </p>
<blockquote>
<p><strong>Jean-François Dugas</strong>: I can tell the PC fans that, actually in the office when I'm playing the game I don't play on Xbox 360 or PS3, I play on the PC. It's shaping out to be very good. It's on the same level as the other platforms. There are a few things that we'll discuss later, but we adapted stuff because it's on PC. Especially in the interface department. </p>
</blockquote>
<p> </p>
<p>While sticking to those core values, and sticking to the port they feel deserves more focus on, we also learn:</p>
<p> </p>
<blockquote>
<p><strong>Shacknews</strong>: Was the PC version done in-house at Eidos Montreal?</p>
<p><strong>Jean-François Dugas</strong>: No. Well, it was done in-house, but with a partnership.</p>
<p><strong>Shacknews</strong>: Who is the partner?</p>
<p><strong>Jean-François Dugas</strong>: Nixxes. They're based out of the Netherlands.</p>
<p> </p>
</blockquote>
<p>Of note: Nixxes did the PC ports for Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light, Kane & Lynch 2: Dog Days and Tomb Raider Underworld.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Spotted at: <a href="http://www.gamebanshee.com/">GameBanshee</a></p>

jiujitsu

Cipher
Project: Eternity
I hate those demos. They always play them like pretentious faggots.

The game looks like ass. Dumbed down, console, ass.

What the fuck is that giant retractable blade? Why are you performing finishing moves on poor unsuspecting guards?

The graphics aren't even that good either. These days graphics are used to compensate for gameplay shittiness. They really must believe their game isn't shitty.

Mister Arkham

Scholar
Christ, does the game have to highlight every last fucking thing that you can interact with? I mean, just every last fucking thing? We've been playing games with full-scale physics engines for almost a decade now, guys. I take it as a given that when I see a bottle sitting on a crate that I can knock it over. You don't need to make it start glowing and give me a readout of context keys telling me how to use it. Pity's sake, how stupid do they think we are?

Past that though? I can't say that anything else really bothered me. The camera shift isn't really much different than in those Chronicles of Riddick games, and it worked fine there. Graphics aren't spectacular, but they're more than acceptable and I like the art direction, and at least the devs are actively encouraging people to look around and use differing gameplay styles. If I had to make another complaint, it would be that Jensen sounds too much like Walton Simons. (all be it through a light filter of Keanu Reeves)

It is really important to us to respect the core values that made the original game outstanding

Oh, thats great. Looks like DX3 might be decent...

:x

I can tell the PC fans that, actually in the office when I'm playing the game I don't play on Xbox 360 or PS3, I play on the PC. It's shaping out to be very good. It's on the same level as the other platforms.

Thats good to know, its just as bad on the PC as it is on the consoles. Everyone gets an equal amount of piss to swim in.

J1M

Arcane
Jean-François Dugas: I can tell the PC fans that, actually in the office when I'm playing the game I don't play on Xbox 360 or PS3, I play on the PC. It's shaping out to be very good. It's on the same level as the other platforms. There are a few things that we'll discuss later, but we adapted stuff because it's on PC. Especially in the interface department.
I'm looking forward to that discussion.

It's worth noting that Nixxes has done a number of solid ports already. No reason to expect that won't continue.

MCA
When you think about it, "cinematic take downs" aren't inherently bad. I don't see any difference to it than text mini-games. Imagine if AoD got a multi-million budget and could be made into an AAA game without changing anything but the graphics. That would mean a shit load of cinematics. Problem is they are made to be unconditional cheats without any player involvement or feedback.

I wanted to point at this since it's is one of those things people bitch about the most. I'm so wise, am I not. Kneel before your master!

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
Yes, that is the problem.

It wouldn't be a problem if the animations adjusted based on your skill, i.e. you aimed for the kidney but stabbed him in the foot.

Fallout had segments that lasted a few seconds without user interference (lockpicking, etc), but the results weren't predictable and binary, which is why it worked.

Of course, in Fallout the camera didn't jarringly change, either. It would be better for immersion if an FPS actually managed to stay first-person under all circumstances, instead of "hae man, we gonna show you some cool shit now".

Sure, I can see myself doing some cool shit if my skillcheck "passed", but let me see it in Mirror's Edge fashion instead of having an out-of-body experience.

AlaCarcuss

Arbiter
Those judging the game by gameplay videos should know that every single one released so far (AFAIK), are of the console versions.

This Nixxes mob have been tasked specifically to make a unique PC experience out of it with PC specific interface and mechanical changes that make more sense for the PC version.

We have yet to see any footage or previews of this version, but if they get it right it will definately be an :incline:

RatFink

Educated
well i didnt like that they felt the need to show off their awesome takedowns the way they did...which is making it OBLIGATORY to perform a lethal/non-lethal take down on that first guard. you were able to pretty much ghost the statue of liberty in deus ex. my point is...whatever happened to optional "training" or "tutorial" missions. i always thought they were a nice feature if done right..i am looking at soldier of fortune, half life or deus ex, thief..for example..im sure there are more but these just off the top of my head. that would be the place to show what you can do in-game without fuckin windows popping up all over the place that you just have to press "X" to win the game. i mean i like to know beforehand what i am able to do and apply it to situations i encounter without being told in said situations...or..maybe reading the manual..well at least the tutorial is optional but it does let you know that with a fuckin pop up window...

plus...did the player get "ghost" experience points for getting into the factory by knocking out the first guard he finds? or did i see it wrong...dont want to watch the video again. makes me feel stupid....yeah the player did...

plus...the camera shifting..it is kinda bothering me..guess it will play out "nicely" and wont bother me at all after playing a couple of minutes but...i dont like it and i wont have it at the moment...just for the sake of having complained

plus...that cover system. well she did say it was optional..does that mean completely optional? i mean would you get the same benefits from just crouching behind corners/stuff and peeking around them..like..with that absolutely outdated feature of leaning? ...i fear i already know the answer to that one..

plus...regenerating health..but that is old news.

apart from that...and i think this is kinda nitpicking..i dont see much wrong with it..but this is the first mission anyway my hopes are definitely not high..but i will not be able to play this on my piece of shit laptop anyway..so if i am finally able to play it there will probably be desu eX (which is a roman 10)

not really an edit..well fuck it...now i did watch some scenes twice...

Karmapowered

Augur
While other people keep fapping all over DA2, I will give this one a go.

The lead designer seems to get his priorities straight, and doesn't sound like a marketing douche-bag aiming for the Fable crowd that enjoys splattering blood textures over Spartans and XXL sized buxom vixen in their cRPGs.

Also, if all that people can find to criticize a cRPG is its colour theme, I am fairly sure it'll be a good game :smug:

There will be mods anyway...

sser

Arcane
Developer
Gameplay vid sucks and is disappointing, but some previews have mentioned a Blade Runner-esque level set around a big bar that had a lot of choice and freedom involved. I'll wait and see. I like the art direction, but the glowy highlights have to go.

AlaCarcuss said:
Those judging the game by gameplay videos should know that every single one released so far (AFAIK), are of the console versions.

This Nixxes mob have been tasked specifically to make a unique PC experience out of it with PC specific interface and mechanical changes that make more sense for the PC version.

We have yet to see any footage or previews of this version, but if they get it right it will definately be an :incline:

Can you name any PC ports that were significantly different to their console originals in regards to gameplay?

I can name plenty of devs that talked the same talk beforehand, only to find out it was a load of rubbish.

Blackadder said:
AlaCarcuss said:

Can you name any PC ports that were significantly different to their console originals in regards to gameplay?

I can name plenty of devs that talked the same talk beforehand, only to find out it was a load of rubbish.

DMC4 had Legendary Dark Knight mode. Where the normal modes and consoles were locked to a max of around 5-10 enemies in most areas, LDK mode would spawn 100s in their place to the point where you could walk on a sea of cannon fodder. Was pretty cool, and a good way to leverage PCs extra horsepower.

Course, such a thing would be stupid for a game like DX. The only difference you will see is a slightly different UI, higher res textures and quicker loading screens.

J1M

Arcane
Overweight Manatee said:
Blackadder said:
AlaCarcuss said:

DMC4 had Legendary Dark Knight mode. Where the normal modes and consoles were locked to a max of around 5-10 enemies in most areas, LDK mode would spawn 100s in their place to the point where you could walk on a sea of cannon fodder. Was pretty cool, and a good way to leverage PCs extra horsepower.

Course, such a thing would be stupid for a game like DX. The only difference you will see is a slightly different UI, higher res textures and quicker loading screens.
The ideal bonus feature (which won't happen) for DX3 on PC would be the ability to mod the game and the inclusion of a robust level editor tool.

AlaCarcuss

Arbiter
Overweight Manatee said:
Blackadder said:
AlaCarcuss said:

The Ghost Recon: AW games were completely different (and vastly superior) to the console versions.

Um... ME 1&2 had better interfaces and seemed to me to be better gameplay wise on the PC (especially ME1). Not enough to make them great, but still superior to the console versions.

Err.... Oh!.... DA:O was a vastly different and superior experience on the PC (regardless of what you thought of the actual game - the console versions were absolute shit).

I'm sure there are others like the fat sea cow mentions, I'll just have to think about it some more.

spekkio

Arcane
Loved the trailer. :lol:

Especially: highlighting, totally-non-consolized GUI and POPAMOLE gameplay.

It has more similarities to MGS than to Desu Ex IMHO...

But of course PC version will be infinitely better... :lol:

Goes back to SMT1... :M

oneself said:
villain of the story said:
That recent gameplay video sealed the deal for me:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_fj4fGbul1M

Wow that health regen was fast.
The enemies better be ruthless hunters. Or there will be zero challenge.

I seem to recall an interview stating that health regen was much more subdued then other popamoles and that going from nothing back to 100% was supposed to take a long while (30s or so). Was that just pure bullshit or is it a difficulty level thing?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom