Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Age of Decadence July Update

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Age of Decadence; Iron Tower Studios; Vault Dweller

<p>The best month of them all sees another <a href="http://www.irontowerstudio.com/forum/index.php/topic,2135.0." target="_blank">development update</a> on <strong>The Age of Decadence</strong>.</p>
<blockquote>
<p>Increasing performance was and remains an important goal, especially when there are many characters on the screen. We've found a new way to optimize character models. While we're still working on it, preliminary tests show a frame per second increase from 100 to 220 fps with 10 characters on-screen, and from 55 to 140 fps (!) with 20 characters. Also we've made some improvements of the models and textures while we were at it. I'm sorry for the lack of screenshots, but we haven't finished our work there just yet. Also, we've discovered a new way to place objects on the levels that reduce memory consumption, makes loading faster and gives a general 10% increase to FPS. AoD is going to run a lot faster which will make a significant difference for people with older PCs and consoles. <br /><br />Our 2D artist continues to work with the GUI. It's slowly getting a more decadent feel, along with a marked roman looking style, fitting with the overall look of the game much more. We are working on the inventory, alchemy and crafting screens, and also implementing a new dialogue screen that shows more of the action AND more text. It made a huge difference, and makes the transition from moving around the game world and dialogue way smoother.<br /><br />Now all these graphics update are nice and all, but what about gameplay? <br /><br />We're testing the demo portion of the game extensively, going over everything, taking notes, and fixing/adding things daily. Thoroughly testing a quest takes awhile due to the number of possible options and outcomes. The fact that everything is skill- and event-based (some options aren’t even shown if you don’t have the right skills or didn’t do something a certain way) makes things even more complicated.  Key characters Feng and Dellar have over 15 different conversation triggers (other than quest reporting) just for Teron; they all need to be tested. We’re slowly learning what everyone in the industry already knows – non-linear games with multiple solutions are a bitch to develop. Oh well…<br /><br />The game is slowly becoming a game. Every now and then I force Vince to play and give me some feedback. Usually he’s too busy working with text files to be a reliable tester.<br /><br /><strong>His reaction in May:</strong> "mixed emotions..." [endless complaints and bitching removed to protect our fans' delicate sensibilities]<br /><strong>His reaction after playing the last week's build:</strong> "Fucking love it. Can't stop playing it. Don't expect anything this weekend, I'll just play. It's fucking fun. The new dialogue interface is perfect. Way better than I expected."<br /><br />And yes, the new dialogue interface is great and makes a HUGE difference.</p>
</blockquote>

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
How many post processing effects does AoD have planned?

Seriously though being able to click an Advanced Graphical Options checkbox and see a shitload of stuff pop up would be good shit. Just make sure you explain anything techy with tooltips or information you've garnered from performance testing.

i mean, it¨'s a good thing that a lot of people find these updates fascinating and all but i would have loads of more respect for these guys if they'd just quietly finished the game.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
Really interested to see those changes to the Interface the guys made. After the last update I remain sceptical, so the nice talk about the dialog window caught my attention.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
oldmanpaco said:
Jaesun said:
Marobug said:
...make a significant difference for people with older PCs and consoles.

:hmmm:

:MonocleShatter:

Faggotry is afoot!
Guys, I know that it's trendy to hate consoles and all, but we all know that consoles can double our sales. Should we pass on it and risk earning nothing after years of work, just so you can feel better knowing that the game is PC exclusive?

I can definitely see AoD on Live arcade. At its inception it was very much arcade games. There were coinup classics, simple indie spaceshooters, and stuff like that. Now you have a more diverse mix. AoD would stand out but it wouldn’t be unusual. RPGs are under represented but there is less competition and more attention. You can list the games by downloads. Castle Crashers is number 2, Clash of Heroes is number 19, Torchlight 21, and Faery at 97 is an abysmal TB RPG with no hype. That’s 97 out of more than 370. It would stand to reason AoD would fall inbetween Torchlight and Faery based on name rec and style. That's the goal.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
So that means the PC version of AOD will support the XBOX controller?

Thank god, Keyboard and mouse is for working on Office, not playing video games.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
I'll probably fall for a trolling attempt (? :P ) - but IF this is the case, how will you manage to make the controls there non abysmal?

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
I see a ton of dramatic UI redesign necessary for a game like AOD to work on a console. Everything would have to be larger, and mouse-less. Controller-friendly.

This UI redesign will eventually trigger "tweaks" to mechanics here, and then there. And then over there. And some over here too. And, while we're at it, just a little bit way over there...

EDIT: I've been trolled :retarded:

Marobug

Vault Dweller: Bashing consoles isn't trendy but making potentially good PC games turn into shit because of certain design choices made to please console gamers is.

A rather old-school, pc oriented rpg going to the xbox live arcade... I don't like where this is heading.

More sales to them, more garbage to us. No thanks.

deus101

Never LET ME into a tattoo parlor!
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
What?

He's tossed out some silly divisions in some container loops or something...WHATS THE PROBLEM?!

Oh

Meh...TB on consoles does not require major gameplay tweaks.

Some GUI yes but...thank god this isnt Pop-A-Mole.

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
Developing for consoles raises new issues here

for example will we be able to get all the achievements in one playthrough and will there be co-op or deathmatch features

Marobug

Excidium said:
Dumbfuck detected. :lol:

Given the rather low average IQ of the codex it's hard to tell when someone's being serious and when he's not. Kind of hard to spot a trolling attempt/sarcasm when everyone flip flops and says stupid stuff all the time.
That said I still don't know whether he was serious or trolling.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
We have absolutely no interest in consoles. ITS official position on this matter: the console audience can shove their consoles in their stupid asses.

I edited Oscar's update when he posted it and added "and consoles". I blame my dry sense of humor.

Bitcher

Educated
God dammit, people. As if it was the first time VD was doing some trollin'.
Still, one could say Age of Decadence is a big troll attempt to begin with...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom