Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News New Oblivion Screenshots

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Tags: Bethesda Softworks; Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion

The Elder Scrolls website has been <a href=http://www.elderscrolls.com/art/obliv_screenshots_01.htm>updated</a> with three brand new screenshots of the upcoming Elder Scrolls role-playing game, Oblivion. One of the new screenshots features an impressive bevy of some very detailed fruits, books, candles and food on a table. The others feature the interior of a dungeon in first person view and a Daedroth.
<br>
<br>
The graphics are simply jaw-dropping.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
The new dungeon screenshot looks a lot more impressive than the older ones, because they seem to have toned down the light bloom and sharpened the detail of the textures. The only light in the dungeon is the glare coming from the grate. That's pretty impressive.

Whipporowill

Erudite
Pretty weird there seems to be no light in the actual light well - just look up. Overall I'd say the indoor screenshots are way too light for the puny lightsources actually available. Looks good, but not that impressive as a whole.

Fresh

Erudite
They look schweet.

I would of course have chosen a better motive than an empty dungeon... (!?) But then again, this habit of selecting really non-meaningful screens seems to be typical of pretty much all companies releasing screens.

Did any1 notice this on the frontpage:
01.06.05 - OBLIVION MAGAZINE COVERAGE
Oblivion has gotten attention in several magazines recently, and is listed as one of the "top 10 Games of 2005" in the January issue of PC Gamer and among the "most anticipated of 2005" in the February issue of Computer Games Magazine.

The year 2005 mentioned twice... man, this is solid, nondebatable evidence that Oblivion i due Xmas 2005. Right? :wink:

Fresh

Erudite
Exitium said:
The new dungeon screenshot looks a lot more impressive than the older ones, because they seem to have toned down the light bloom and sharpened the detail of the textures. The only light in the dungeon is the glare coming from the grate. That's pretty impressive.

Incorrect -

Perhaps there's a source of light behind the player? Notice that the floor, and the room's central pillar also appear to be illuminated?
Yes, there is a light source in the room not within view of the screenshot, and no, it's not enchanted.

http://www.elderscrolls.com/forums/inde ... 186&st=80#

crakkie

Arcane
Seven said:
Some of the textures look almost cartoonish, or oil-painting-esque. I don't see what's so impressive.
It looks to me like the next inevitable level of realism. That's what's not impressive. No one seems to be experimenting with non-photorealistic rendering past cel-shading.

If someone made a game that looked cartoonish (comic book-style crosshashes and perspectives, not cel shaded) or like an oil painting, that would impressive. Damn impressive.

xemous

Arcane
Jinxed said:
I wonder what kind of rig will run this game smoothly.

Well to run UN3engine at 30fps you need the current gen hardware, x800xt and 6800gt / ultra.
I'm sure the next gen hardware will handle it well. Or any 6800gt / ultra in SLI. 2 gigs of ram 3gig+ cpu and a raid setup should do nicely.

corvax

Augur
pretty, hope bethesda will put as much effort in improving their role playing system

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Oblivion isn't using UE3, though. UE3's pretty horrible when it comes to performance optimization on current high-end specs. They're using GameBryo, which is NetImmerse 5. I'd wager that it should handle pretty decently on Direct3D cards like the 9800 XT on medium details.

xemous

Arcane
Exitium said:
Oblivion isn't using UE3, though. UE3's pretty horrible when it comes to performance optimization on current high-end specs. They're using GameBryo, which is NetImmerse 5. I'd wager that it should handle pretty decently on Direct3D cards like the 9800 XT on medium details.

I am aware of what there using. I was giving an example for the requirments of some of the new engines to give an estimate of what kind of hardware will be required.

Jinxed

Liturgist
xemous said:
I'm sure the next gen hardware will handle it well. Or any 6800gt / ultra in SLI. 2 gigs of ram 3gig+ cpu and a raid setup should do nicely.

That's not good news, at least not for me.

Graphic card prices are insanely high in Poland. Prices for 6800 ultra cards range from 750 to 900 DOLLARS. It's totally surreal. The situation with 800x PCI express isn't much better as it floats around 750.

If a new card isn't released to push these prices down I won't be playing anything new any time soon. I already have Doom 3 and HL 2 on hold until the end of the summer holidays when I plan to upgrade.

Oh yeah, and that's just the card, but at least CPU and motherboard prices are more normal.

aphatmc~

Augur
MY MOM WAS A FAT PIG AND MY DAD WAS AN ALLIGATOR OR SOMETHING BUT IM 100% COCKSUCKER

xemous

Arcane
Jinxed said:
xemous said:

That's not good news, at least not for me.

Graphic card prices are insanely high in Poland. Prices for 6800 ultra cards range from 750 to 900 DOLLARS. It's totally surreal. The situation with 800x PCI express isn't much better as it floats around 750.

If a new card isn't released to push these prices down I won't be playing anything new any time soon. I already have Doom 3 and HL 2 on hold until the end of the summer holidays when I plan to upgrade.

Oh yeah, and that's just the card, but at least CPU and motherboard prices are more normal.

Yep it's the same over here. Around 600 USD for high range cards, and 450 USD for midrange. The 9800 vanilla is a good price arund 200 USD, and a fx5200 ar around 60 USD will run halflife2 and some very nice settings.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
The overabundant lighting effect sucks imo. I want to be able to look at things without having to almost close my eyes.

Twinfalls

Erudite
crakkie said:
It looks to me like the next inevitable level of realism. That's what's not impressive. No one seems to be experimenting with non-photorealistic rendering past cel-shading.

If someone made a game that looked cartoonish (comic book-style crosshashes and perspectives, not cel shaded) or like an oil painting, that would impressive. Damn impressive.

I thoroughly agree.

Noviere

Novice
Screenshots for previews/press often have adjusted in-engine lightning so people can see things easier. A shot of a pitch black dungeon wouldn't be very interesting, afterall. Even so, we do know that Oblivion will have some bloom-style lightning effects, so it's hard to say.

Personally, I think it look amazing. It does have an oil-painting look to it, which I enjoy. Photo-realism bores me, and usually doesn't look all that great anyway.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
If I recall correctly, MSFD stated that the game does not use 'light bloom' per se but rather a more complex algorithm that they can control and adjust depending on the situation, or the position of the player within the environment. A light from a tunnel looks blindingly bright but begins to clear up as the player's character adjusts to the light.

Lasakon

Liturgist
Bloom: the new ragdoll.
Seriously though, I think Oblivion has a great art style to it. Definitely a huge improvement over Morrowind in that aspect.

MrSmileyFaceDude

Bethesda Game Studios
Developer
Noviere said:
It does have an oil-painting look to it, which I enjoy.

Actually that's more the kind of look we're going for, rather than straight photo-realism. So I'm glad you like it :)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom