Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Get Fallout 3 + Oblivion + Morrowind + More for just $70 USD

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Tags: Fallout 3

<p>Steam are having the final days of their <a href="http://store.steampowered.com/sub/11030/">Quakecon Pack 2011 sale</a>. It's a monster ID Software pack including all games made on the various Doom / Quake engines:</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p style="padding-left: 30px;"><strong>Quakecon Pack 2011&nbsp;Includes 34 items</strong>: Quake III Arena, Quake IV, Wolfenstein 3D, The Ultimate Doom, Final DOOM, DOOM II, QUAKE, QUAKE II, QUAKE II Mission Pack: The Reckoning, QUAKE II Mission Pack: Ground Zero, QUAKE III: Team Arena, HeXen: Beyond Heretic, HeXen: Deathkings of the Dark Citadel, Heretic: Shadow of the Serpent Riders, Spear of Destiny, Return to Castle Wolfenstein, QUAKE Mission Pack 2: Dissolution of Eternity, QUAKE Mission Pack 1: Scourge of Armagon, DOOM 3, HeXen II, DOOM 3 Resurrection of Evil, Master Levels for Doom II, Commander Keen, Rogue Warrior, <strong>The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind&reg; Game of the Year Edition</strong>, Call of Cthulhu&reg;: Dark Corners of the Earth, BRINK, <strong>Fallout 3: Game of the Year Edition, Fallout: New Vegas</strong>, Hunted: The Demon&rsquo;s Forge&trade;, <strong>Fallout New Vegas: Dead Money, Fallout New Vegas: Honest Hearts, Fallout New Vegas: Old World Blues , The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion&reg; Game of the Year Edition Deluxe</strong></p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>That's Fallout 3 + New Vegas + The expansion packs with Morrowind and Oblivion thrown in (and everything else).&nbsp;Given the USD is so cheap right now, it's probably gonna be cheaper to pick this up even if you already have most of them.</p>

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
the only games worth buying in that pack are morrowind and cthulhu. the rest is shit or dlc.

baronjohn

Cipher
You know what's even cheaper? Skipping the Steam rental service altogether and getting it from the bay of pirates. That way you get the games for free AND you're not tied to a fascist DRM platform.

CreamyBlood

Arcane
The sale seems to be over already from where I'm sitting but it was a bit enticing if you're an FPS fan. Minus the beth stuff there are a good amount of shooters in that list that I wouldn't mind replaying. Modern stuff is really boring and painful.

I almost would have bought it as I also liked the first twenty hours of NV but I'll wait untill they finish making the game and buy it in one big edition.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Konjad said:
the only games worth buying in that pack are morrowind and cthulhu. the rest is shit or dlc.
Funnily enough that's why I got it (Well, that and New Vegas). My original copy of DCotE doesn't want to work on Vista. And the rest of those shooters are just fucking bonus Gold.

Multi-headed Cow

Give me your hats DarkUnderlord. I want to put my head in your hats.

MCA
It's only unfortunate that such a delicate pack of a piece of FPS history was stained by Bethesda's shit.

Still, they should have made it inclusive of the future DLCs of F:NV.

Toffeli

Atomkrieg, ja bitte
Patron
Wasteland 2
Re: Get Fallout 3 + Oblivion + Morrowind + More for just $70

DarkUnderlord said:
That's Fallout 3 + New Vegas + The expansion packs with Morrowind and Oblivion thrown in (and everything else). Given the USD is so cheap right now, it's probably gonna be cheaper to pick this up even if you already have most of them.</p>

And Steam dropped regional pricing since when? That's still 70 euro. (Not that I was interested in this anyway)

AlaCarcuss

Arbiter

Toffeli said:
DarkUnderlord said:
That's Fallout 3 + New Vegas + The expansion packs with Morrowind and Oblivion thrown in (and everything else). Given the USD is so cheap right now, it's probably gonna be cheaper to pick this up even if you already have most of them.</p>

And Steam dropped regional pricing since when? That's still 70 euro. (Not that I was interested in this anyway)

I'm just as pissed at this as anyone else, but fair's fair - Steam (Valve) does not set the prices, the bloodsucking publisher's do.

Which is why some (few) games from some publisher's are actually dearer on steam than they are at retail. Pricks say they're protecting local retailer's, but in reality they want the smaller markets to subsidize the bigger one's (U.S. in particular).

At least that's how it seems to work here (Aus). That said, the Aussie dollar's trading well above (.8c) the U.S. dollar at the moment so this sale's a pretty good deal from where I sit.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera

DarkUnderlord said:
Get Fallout 3 + Oblivion + Morrowind + More for just $70 $100 USD

It's a monster ID Software pack including all games made on the various Doom / Quake engines:

Quakecon Pack 2011 Includes 34 12 items: Quake III Arena, Quake IV, Wolfenstein 3D, The Ultimate Doom, Final DOOM, DOOM II, QUAKE, QUAKE II, QUAKE II Mission Pack: The Reckoning, QUAKE II Mission Pack: Ground Zero, QUAKE III: Team Arena, HeXen: Beyond Heretic, HeXen: Deathkings of the Dark Citadel, Heretic: Shadow of the Serpent Riders, Spear of Destiny, Return to Castle Wolfenstein, QUAKE Mission Pack 2: Dissolution of Eternity, QUAKE Mission Pack 1: Scourge of Armagon, DOOM 3 [low violence version], HeXen II, DOOM 3 Resurrection of Evil, Master Levels for Doom II, Commander Keen, Rogue Warrior, The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind® Game of the Year Edition, Call of Cthulhu®: Dark Corners of the Earth, BRINK, Fallout 3: Game of the Year Edition [low violence version], Fallout: New Vegas [low violence version], Hunted: The Demon’s Forge™, Fallout New Vegas: Dead Money, Fallout New Vegas: Honest Hearts, Fallout New Vegas: Old World Blues , The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion® Game of the Year Edition Deluxe
all hail steam!

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Just FYI, lots of people out there who have access to the Skyrim/Rage preorder discount are willing to act as middle man and get you the pack for $45. I just grabbed Morrowind for $10 since I already had FO3 and NV. But yeah, great deal considering I paid close to $40 for just the three games I do have.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
DarkUnderlord said:
Konjad said:
Funnily enough that's why I got it (Well, that and New Vegas). My original copy of DCotE doesn't want to work on Vista. And the rest of those shooters are just fucking bonus Gold.

oh i didnt see new vegas in it, only dlcs. well, so cthulhu morro and vegas. 3 games you can buy a lot cheaper in non-pack

ortucis

Prophet
All the games you ever want with a DRM that won't let you just install and play them in any PC without internet connection.

Oh FUCKING JOY!

Besides, I have almost everyone of them and the retails discs as well. I laugh at the face of online DRM.

deuxhero

Arcane
I would get it, but it's not till latter this year/early next that I'm upgrading my PC for New Vegas.

AlaCarcuss

Arbiter
ortucis said:
All the games you ever want with a DRM that won't let you just install and play them in any PC without internet connection.

Oh FUCKING JOY!

Besides, I have almost everyone of them and the retails discs as well. I laugh at the face of online DRM.

Mate, with all due respect - you're an idiot. This is the same bullshit repeated a fucking zillion times every time steam is mentioned and it's complete crap. Every game in this pack, as with 95% of all games on steam, only require you to be online once, when you first download and install. Then you can unplug your fucking cable if you're that paranoid or can't afford an 'always on' connection.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Argh, why now when I'm the brokest I've been in years. Fuck you Zenimax.

PorkaMorka

Arcane
I'd love to know what percentage of the people who buy this pack will actually play through all those games.

ortucis

Prophet
AlaCarcuss said:
ortucis said:

Oh FUCKING JOY!

Mate, with all due respect - you're an idiot. This is the same bullshit repeated a fucking zillion times every time steam is mentioned and it's complete crap. Every game in this pack, as with 95% of all games on steam, only require you to be online once, when you first download and install. Then you can unplug your fucking cable if you're that paranoid or can't afford an 'always on' connection.

Right. I have the retail discs. Bought them when I had no net (sure as hell didn't back when most of these were released). Installed, played happily ever after.

And these days I just download a NoCD for my old retail discs leaving them pretty scratchless (not to mention the ISO backup I create of them to install from HDD whenever I want). In other words, I don't require net to ask for persmission to install a game I paid for on my own PC.

Also, I know how Steam works. Bought HL2 and got introduced to it from day-1 (and then bought other games like L4D then realised that they all require net connection even though I have the fucking disc in my hands). Don't get me wrong, it's a great place for Indie developers to sell their wares but AAA developers are just exploiting gamers knowing that if Steam ever goes down or if the player wants to install his game on a no-net PC, he will have to buy a new copy (if there is one, non-steam version).

PC gamers bending over backwards for Steam is the reason why developers like UBI are more than happy testing always-online DRM shit in their games.

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
Thinking of getting this for the FPSs and No Enemas, but I already own or would never play some of the games like Oblobberman, Rogue Warrior and Hunted. Are you allowed to sell "gift" steam games?

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
ortucis said:
Also, I know how Steam works. Bought HL2 and got introduced to it from day-1 (and then bought other games like L4D then realised that they all require net connection even though I have the fucking disc in my hands). Don't get me wrong, it's a great place for Indie developers to sell their wares but AAA developers are just exploiting gamers knowing that if Steam ever goes down or if the player wants to install his game on a no-net PC, he will have to buy a new copy (if there is one, non-steam version).
While it is a bit apprehensive to say so, I think that if Valve were to ever go out of business (doubtful it'll happen right now, more likely is they'd get bought out and Steam would turn into something else), they'd announce it before-hand, giving a two-weeks notice on downloading and backing up games, and a version of Steam that doesn't require an Internet connection. When your company's going out of business, it's not really the first thing you're thinking about, I know, but Valve are not of the Stupid Evil alignment of many publishers and distributors. If you think they haven't thought up a solution to what is a very obvious problem, then I think you'd be wrong. They've probably had a contingency plan in place since Steam first launched.

That said, nothing against people who don't like Steam. I'm already invested in the platform, so I tend to buy my games there for the sake of organisation, but I fully understand people who don't like being tethered. I know that if I can get a game on GOG, for instance, I'll head there instead of Steam any day.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
People always argue the worst case scenario if Valve/Steam were to go under but really... how would it benefit them in such a scenario to not release a patch/allow people a window to download/backup all of their games? They never think things through. I guess the argument is Valve would do it because they are evil dicks who hate people? Yeah... that makes sense.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
When your company's going out of business, it's not really the first thing you're thinking about, I know, but Valve are not of the Stupid Evil alignment of many publishers and distributors. If you think they haven't thought up a solution to what is a very obvious problem, then I think you'd be wrong. They've probably had a contingency plan in place since Steam first launched.
Welcome to Corporate World, where common sense and logic are in short supply.

AlaCarcuss, I've read and heard enough stories of Steam off-line mode not staying off-line or not working at all that I call bollocks on that "connect once and forget it"-line.

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
DarkUnderlord said:
Given the USD is so cheap right now, it's probably gonna be cheaper to pick this up even if you already have most of them.

That's not how it works in Europe, those Valve fuckers. :x

Germans get doubly assraped with this - they get the usual Steam euro price-hike, and for them the package has less than 10 (or sth like that) games but with the same price.

PorkaMorka

Arcane
Did Valve remove games on their own or due to dumb laws in Germany?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom