Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview An Hour with Skyrim. It’s Amazing.

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Bethesda Softworks; Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

<p>Kotaku <a href="http://kotaku.com/5828687/an-hour-with-skyrim-its-amazing" target="_blank">previews</a> The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim.</p>
<blockquote>
<p>There wasn't much in the way of treasure in the mine, so I left via another entrance and tromped down the mountain to a small fishing village, name of Riverwood. There I met a blacksmith who was awfully welcoming&mdash;"Sure, you can use my forge, orc stranger!"&mdash;and spoke a gentleman about a rival, elven suitor who was wooing his paramour. The lover suggested I deliver a nasty fake letter to his object of affection, signed with the name of his elven competition. A dick move, for sure (and one you can choose to give a twist, by alerting the innocent elf to the plot), but also a testament to the progressive race relations of <em>Skyrim</em>'s culture. (If you think I'm poking fun, I'm not. There's something distinct about the way <em>The Elder Scrolls</em> series seems to ignore the issue of race that feels at once mature and perhaps over idealized.)</p>
<p>Even better, the fix to one of my (and everyone's) big irks from <em>Oblivion</em>&mdash;the sameness of the voice acting&mdash;was made apparent in town. <strong>There were 14 different voice actors for all the characters in <em>Oblivion</em>; in <em>Skyrim</em>, there are 70.</strong></p>
</blockquote>
<p>Spotted at: <a href="http://www.gamebanshee.com/news/104202-the-elder-scrolls-v-skyrim-preview.html">Gamebanshee</a></p>

Rhalle

Magister
Skyrim isn't an RPG in the classic sense—it's a sword-and-sorcery simulation.

And so was Oblivion.

I really hope modders fix up the interface and inventory.

I would pay good money to a modder who imported Oblivion's inventory system into Skyrim.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
no one gives a crap about skyrim, just post my damn review of amazing da2 already

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Rhalle said:
Skyrim isn't an RPG in the classic sense—it's a sword-and-sorcery simulation.

And so was Oblivion.

Exciting and brutal combat, stories about heroes and heroines fighting the good fight against evil witches and sorcerers, generally low fantasy setting where magic is something special and not available in every second convenience store, stories that are not about saving the world and usually motivated by a hero wanting to become famous or just get some riches, contrast of civilization vs the free barbarian hero, artstyle like this:

conanearlnoremjr1.jpg

No, sorry, Oblivion was in no way a sword and sorcery simulator, and I doubt Skyrim will be one, either.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
I cannot into this kind of writing...It's like a 30-years-old virgin trying to get laid by writing an "funny, edgy, witty and cool" video-game review, the only thing missing is an cliché Monty Python reference. Is this guy even paid to write, or he does it just so he get's a picture of him on Kotaku? Just stop trying so hard...

corvus

Arcane
So, is Kotaku a gaming-themed website, or a blog for a lot of unfunny assholes?

And lol at the comments. "I DIDNT SAY THEY WERE BAD GAMES I JUST DIDNT LIKE THEM MY TASTES ARE JUST DIFFERENT"

Politically-correct pussies, jeez.

racofer

Thread Incliner
DUDE I HATED OBLIVION AND FALLOUT3

But don't get me wrong, I thought they were really great games, but I just couldn't get into them.

Menckenstein

Lunacy of Caen: Todd Reaver
felipepepe said:
I cannot into this kind of writing...It's like a 30-years-old virgin trying to get laid by writing an "funny, edgy, witty and cool" video-game review, the only thing missing is an cliché Monty Python reference. Is this guy even paid to write, or he does it just so he get's a picture of him on Kotaku? Just stop trying so hard...

A blog full of articles written by guys who misuse the word vapid in daily conversation when trying to convince their fat, greasy girlfriend of her superiority to any woman who happens to cross their field of view.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
It's always funny when people talk about preferring quality over quantity and then start fapping over the number of voice actors in Skyrim.

sea said:
It's always funny when people talk about preferring quality over quantity and then start fapping over the number of voice actors in Skyrim.

Voice acting is certainly an instance in which quantity is closely related to quality. Having characters in Oblivion abruptly change from begger voice to brenton voice then to a third voice did far more harm to the game then spending $shitload_of_money on Patrick Stewart did to help it.

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
I was friend zoned by a game once and it hung out with this console asshole and let him complete it with everything unlocked

Menckenstein

Ed123 said:
but also a testament to the progressive race relations of Skyrim's culture. (If you think I'm poking fun, I'm not. There's something distinct about the way The Elder Scrolls series seems to ignore the issue of race that feels at once mature and perhaps over idealized.)

:retarded:

WTF is that n'wah talking about?

Pope Amole

Educated
Menckenstein said:
WTF is that n'wah talking about?

He probably says that the Skyrim is the multikultest game evah, with total and cheerful friendship between all of the races and not even a hint on interracial hate, slurs, confict, etc (meaning that these things are totally ignored, probably because implementing them takes effort and effort takes time and money and that is obviously unacceptable for a modern next-gen game development; besides, that way it's much safer for them - fewer possibilities of some idiot making a scandal and/or lawsuit out of "game discriminates my black character, Bethesda is Hilter!" or whatever).

racofer

Thread Incliner
Jaesun said:
Yeah, 70 voice actors reading shitty written dialogue will fix a shitty game.

*calm monotone voice* Oh my god. They've killed and raped my daughter. Those bastards will pay.

*calm monotone voice* There will be blood. And I will fight this good fight while being very angry at everyone.

*calm monotone voice* DRAGON SHOUT! DRAGON SHOUT! DRAGON SHOUT!.

Menckenstein

racofer said:
Jaesun said:

*calm monotone voice* Oh my god. They've killed and raped my daughter. Those bastards will pay.

*calm monotone voice* There will be blood. And I will fight this good fight while being very angry at everyone.

*calm monotone voice* DRAGON SHOUT! DRAGON SHOUT! DRAGON SHOUT!.

All while zooming in x500 original FOV to an area the NPC was standing in 30 seconds ago but he/she is now behind you.

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
Well it was really annoying to hear the same VO over and over in Oblivion, so having that resolved will be welcome.

But who are you going to be talking to when you're hiking?

:yeah:

MetalCraze

Arcane
sword-and-sorcery simulation

Next generation and their simulations

There I met a blacksmith who was awfully welcoming—"Sure, you can use my forge, orc stranger!"

Why the fuck would you let a stranger into your house? An orc stranger

Jaesun said:

It worked for New Vegas

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
"Accessibility".

They should have the smith charge you every time, the fee based on several factors including your race, faction status, etc., eventually becoming free and him even performing advanced smithing for you.

But that would actually be interesting.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Pope Amole said:
fewer possibilities of some idiot making a scandal and/or lawsuit out of "game discriminates my black character, Bethesda is Hilter!" or whatever).
Reminds me of that bullshit when StarWars Ep. I was released and people said Jar-Jar Binks was making fun of niggers. Meanwhile, on the same movie there was a black dude called Captain Panaka (dumbfuck in portuguese) and no one cared.People are too dumb to even hate the right thing...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom