Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Oblivion dev diary and screens

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Bethesda Softworks; Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion

The <A href="http://www.elderscrolls.com/">Official Elder Scrolls site</A> has a <A href="http://www.elderscrolls.com/codex/team_teamprof_emil.htm">dev diary</a> with <b>Emil Pagliarulo</b>, a designer on the project, and a guy who has less of a hair line than I do! The subject of the thing is <b>stealth</b>, as you can see:
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>So what will the stealth gameplay in TES IV: Oblivion be like? Will it essentially be the same type of gameplay featured in Morrowind? The simple answer is: not even close. In fact, the stealth systems in Oblivion have been completely redesigned in order to accommodate the gameplay fans want and expect. So yes, light and shadow will affect your ability to sneak. Yes, NPCs will react believably -- in both speech and action -- to the player appearing and disappearing before their eyes. And yes, lockpicking now requires quite a bit more than just selecting a tool from your inventory and activating a door or chest.</blockquote>
<br>
<br>
As long as I can beat the hell out of a chest to open it instead of being stealthy and playing tumbler minigames.
<br>
<br>
PS. For those people who can't read, there's also <A href="http://www.elderscrolls.com/art/obliv_screenshots_01.htm">new screenshots</a>.
<br>
<br>
Thanks, <b>Pete Hines</b>!
<br>

Fez

Erudite
For me, the only game with forced minigames that never got boring was Anachronox. If they manage to keep them fun and not too often, I'll be happy.

space captain

Liturgist
U. S. of Fuckin' A. ...and dont forget it or we'l
it really seems like Bethesda are trying to go the next step for CRPGs and for that I salute them... (now that Troika is gone its time to hedge our bets)

i just wish they would have hired me.... im totally qualified and my demo reels were solid (IMO at least)

CURSES!!!!

xemous

Arcane
All the models so far in that game apart from objects look like shit.

NeverwinterKnight

Liturgist
meh. my philosophy is the more rpgs developed, the better for me.

so im hoping it turns out to be a quality rpg.

Wysardry

Augur
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
xemous said:
If yours looks like that, you need to see a doctor. :shock:

jiujitsu

Cipher
Project: Eternity
Game is looking good. The screens aren't anything new though really.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Very nice, I like that ogre thing, whatever it is. I think the towers and roofs could use a little work though. They look like low poly sticks.

Reklar

Liturgist
Wow, most of those screenshots look really nice, although I think the minotaur looks pretty crappy compared to the other models. If my computer could run the game, and more importantly it wasn't a boring cRPG lite, I'd probably buy it. The only question I have is when did Bethesda become a division of ZeniMax Media Inc., or has it always been one and I'd just never heard of it before? I always thought they were an independent developer.

-Reklar
(a Fallout/RPG fan)

xemous

Arcane
Wysardry said:
xemous said:

That character models, the minitors head is to big, and that monster in the new screenshot head is to small.

Fez

Erudite
They need to make the minotaurs even better hung.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
xemous said:
Wysardry said:
xemous said:

That character models, the minitors head is to big, and that monster in the new screenshot head is to small.

Ogres usually look like that. Their bodies are gigantic.

Kind of like Kodiak bears, their skulls are as small as human skulls but their bodies are big.

corvax

Augur
Reklar said:
The only question I have is when did Bethesda become a division of ZeniMax Media Inc., or has it always been one and I'd just never heard of it before? I always thought they were an independent developer.

Well, defenitely before Morrowind was released. I don't know about other games.
Nevertheless it seems as it's more about corporate structure than anything. ZeniMax is a parent corporation of: Bethesda, Vir2L, and ZeniMax Productions. Each division seems to have almost complete autonomy as far as the design decisions go. As far as the profits that might be a different story. Anyway ZeniMax looks solid & well structured corporation with strong management and quite a few bigshots on the Business Advisory Board http://www.zenimax.com/profile.html

On the other note, game looks quite amazing (regardless of the unimportant details some of you guys mentioned).

MrSmileyFaceDude

Bethesda Game Studios
Developer
Reklar said:
Wow, most of those screenshots look really nice, although I think the minotaur looks pretty crappy compared to the other models. If my computer could run the game, and more importantly it wasn't a boring cRPG lite, I'd probably buy it. The only question I have is when did Bethesda become a division of ZeniMax Media Inc., or has it always been one and I'd just never heard of it before? I always thought they were an independent developer.

-Reklar
(a Fallout/RPG fan)

Prior to 1999, Bethesda Softworks was part of a company called Media Technology, which also consisted of a division called XLTranslab that did production graphics and design. Bethesda Softworks was founded in 1986. Been around a while.

In the summer of 1999, Media Technology became ZeniMax Media Inc, a new media company that consisted of Bethesda Softworks (games), Vir2l (web content & design), e-Nexus Studios (video content), and ZeniMax Technology (R&D, where I first started working in '99). After the dot bomb dried up the market for web development and new media, the company consolidated and moved fully into the video game market. And thanks largely to Morrowind's continuing success, the company is doing exceptionally well.

Now the company is comprised of Bethesda Softworks, publisher; Bethesda Game Studios, developer (where I've been working since '01), and ViR2l, publisher of mobile games. We also have a product line of published budget titles called "Mud Duck".

We use the Bethesda Game Studios label now to distinguish internally developed titles (like Oblivion and Fallout 3) from titles we publish (like Cthulhu). BGS has two studios -- one that makes the RPG's, and another that so far has been focusing on the IHRA drag racing titles (but is expanding).

For more info on the corporate side of things, click here.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Good to hear from you, MSFD. Thanks for the clarification.

Hussar: There's a few well known big-wigs on the Board of Directors, too. The names I recognise are Les Moonves, head of CBS (He brought CBS out of a slump, by practically creating the Reality TV craze, with Survivor and pulling all the right moves with shows like CSI), and Robert Trump.

All of this explains why Bethesda's so good at business, heh.

NeverwinterKnight

Liturgist
MrSmileyFaceDude said:
We use the Bethesda Game Studios label now to distinguish internally developed titles (like Oblivion and Fallout 3) from titles we publish (like Cthulhu). BGS has two studios -- one that makes the RPG's, and another that so far has been focusing on the IHRA drag racing titles (but is expanding).[/url]

off topic slightly, any news on when fallout3 is supposed to be developed/released?

MrSmileyFaceDude

Bethesda Game Studios
Developer
NeverwinterKnight said:
MrSmileyFaceDude said:
We use the Bethesda Game Studios label now to distinguish internally developed titles (like Oblivion and Fallout 3) from titles we publish (like Cthulhu). BGS has two studios -- one that makes the RPG's, and another that so far has been focusing on the IHRA drag racing titles (but is expanding).[/url]

off topic slightly, any news on when fallout3 is supposed to be developed/released?

Hehe well, we'll let you know about that when we're ready. We tend to keep quiet about product development :)

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
MrSmileyFaceDude said:
Hehe well, we'll let you know about that when we're ready. We tend to keep quiet about product development :)

That's because you're PUSSIES! Don't be pussies! Release the screenshots!

I'm double dog daring you.

Seven

Erudite
Saint_Proverbius said:
MrSmileyFaceDude said:

That's because you're PUSSIES! Don't be pussies! Release the screenshots!

I'm double dog daring you.

Yeah, that works all the time. :P

NeverwinterKnight

Liturgist
MrSmileyFaceDude said:

thats not a very nice thing to do. :P

i bet you just dont know

*hopes reverse psychology works*

errorcode

Liturgist
the creatures modelling looks pretty hit or miss, but the armor modeling looks awesome. I just hope they don't have the same art issues they had in Morrowind.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom