Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Editorial Combat In Oblivion

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Tags: Bethesda Softworks; Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion

Steve "MrSmileyFaceDude" Meister informed us and <a href=http://www.duckandcover.net>Duck & Cover</a> that he's <a href=http://www.elderscrolls.com/codex/team_teamprof_stevem.htm>written an article</a> on the combat in the next title in the Elder Scrolls series, Oblivion. Here's a very interesting bit on yielding and the non-lethal combat present in the game:
<br>
<blockquote>And finally, combat need not be lethal. Any combatant - including the player -- can yield to their opponent. It's up to the opponent to accept the yield or not, but if they do accept, combat ends. It's a way to get out of those sticky situations where you find yourself in over your head. Just don't try it with a creature or with anyone who really, really hates you! And if an NPC yields to you, you make the call - walk away, or keep fighting.</blockquote>
<br>
It'll definitely eliminate the need to reload the game whenever you find yourself in an awkward situation with a sentient enemy. Reloading always destroys immersion.

Slaytanic

Educated
Yeah that seems like a really good addition.
I wonder how the voice acting for yielding npc female characters will sound like hehe.
Knowing Bethesda they will probaby thread carefully trying not to make it sound like your raping someone.

"Please stop , no more, please!"
:twisted:

Arkan

Novice
Exitium said:
Steve "MrSmileyFaceDude" Meister informed us and <a href=http://www.duckandcover.net>Duck & Cover</a> that he's <a href=http://www.elderscrolls.com/codex/team_teamprof_stevem.htm>written an article</a> on the combat in the next title in the Elder Scrolls series, Oblivion. Here's a very interesting bit on yielding and the non-lethal combat present in the game:
<blockquote>And finally, combat need not be lethal. Any combatant - including the player -- can yield to their opponent. It's up to the opponent to accept the yield or not, but if they do accept, combat ends. It's a way to get out of those sticky situations where you find yourself in over your head. Just don't try it with a creature or with anyone who really, really hates you! And if an NPC yields to you, you make the call - walk away, or keep fighting.</blockquote>
It'll definitely eliminate the need to reload the game whenever you find yourself in an awkward situation with a sentient enemy. Reloading always destroys immersion.

I find this to be fantastic news, man.

Greatatlantic

Erudite
I think this is a very cynical attempt by Bethseda to make their game more appealing to the French... dang it, there went that New Year's resolution.

Anyways, sounds like a nice feature if implemented properly. But, I'm having trouble seeing a bunch of bandits bandits not killing and taking all your stuff because you "yielded". Or for that matter, once any people go at each other with lethal weapons is there a chance calling it quits? Hmmmm... I don't suppose there is a chance that the giant squirells can yield to the player?

Saran

Scholar
And here is an exclusive preview of the next article, courtesy of the little elves that live under my desk.

MrSmileyFaceDude said:
"And as you gallop along on your horse a wolf suddenly attacks you. As you fumble for the dismount key your horse gets ripped to shreds, shortly followed by you, because thats what happens in the real word, no-one ever fights on horseback, except for queers, and your not a queer, are you?"

:P

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Actually, it was Pete Hines that emailed us about it, but what the hell.

As for yielding, it's something that CRPGs have needed as a standard for combat for years. There should be more options for what happens afterwards than just walking away or murdering them, though. If they're bad guys or part of a guild quest and they surrender, there should be some kind of way to make them come back with you to collect a bounty - the whole "Dead $500 - Alive $1000" deal. If you're a bad guy, there should be an option for robbing them before you set them free. Things along those lines would make it much better than just walking away.

FireWolf

Liturgist
For some reason this brought the whole black knight sketch to my mind.

"You are indeed brave good sir knight, but the fight is mine"

"oooh had enough, eh?"

"Look you stupid bastard you've got no arms left"

etc.

Some people just don't want to yield.

jeansberg

Liturgist
Greatatlantic said:
Anyways, sounds like a nice feature if implemented properly. But, I'm having trouble seeing a bunch of bandits bandits not killing and taking all your stuff because you "yielded".

In Gothic II if you were fighting a bandit they would knock you out, and take all your gold. Maybe yielding would mean you could decide to give them your gold/weapon and then they would spare your life, and vice versa.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
An interesting article. The bit about timing your clicks sounds a bit similar to The Witcher, I think.

Fresh

Erudite
Exitium said:
And finally, combat need not be lethal. Any combatant - including the player -- can yield to their opponent. It's up to the opponent to accept the yield or not, but if they do accept, combat ends. It's a way to get out of those sticky situations where you find yourself in over your head. Just don't try it with a creature or with anyone who really, really hates you! And if an NPC yields to you, you make the call - walk away, or keep fighting.

YES! THIS IS GREAT NEWS!

I sooo dislike the way this is usually handled in rgps - kill/fight or dont kill/fight (be a pussy) with absolutely no middleground between the 2 extremes.

A feature in Gothic that´s great is the ability to deal out non-lethal damage. For example - you knock someone out, take whatever stuff you want (or for whatever reason) WITHOUT killing him. Bullying and non-lethal fighting is a very interesting concept that enhance gameplay implemented properly.

This is of course equally possible by the NPCs - they can bully you character and take your stuff/money/weapon. That way u lose some inventory and can play on with the NPC left in play - and with a grudge towards the npc - emotional tension! Instead of dying and reloading and avoiding/killing the guy later.

WIth a middleground between peaceful behavior and absolutely lethal (psychotic) behavior fighting dont HAVE TO end in people dying. That way u can settle arguments, bully, steal, impress, get information, scare etc etc without having to KILL.

Fresh

Erudite
Saint_Proverbius said:
As for yielding, it's something that CRPGs have needed as a standard for combat for years. There should be more options for what happens afterwards than just walking away or murdering them, though. If they're bad guys or part of a guild quest and they surrender, there should be some kind of way to make them come back with you to collect a bounty - the whole "Dead $500 - Alive $1000" deal. If you're a bad guy, there should be an option for robbing them before you set them free. Things along those lines would make it much better than just walking away.

Regarding "more options for what happens afterwards".. I found this at the NMA-forum:

... non lethal fighting...

You KO any raiders or other baddies, you use rope to bind them (or handcuffs, if theyre added as an item) and take them to a local cop in redding, NCR, VaultCity, Broken Hills for a reward.

You KO good guys, you take them to metzger, slaver in NCR, stables, a dealer in New Reno, or Vault City servent center and SELL them.

Maybe add dialouge options, where random (and rare) prisoners will offer to show you a stash of some sort in return for freedom. Then you get one of 3 random encounters once you get there. 1-people allready there, it was a trap 2-nothing there, prisoner maybe tries to escape 3-there is somethign there, you can let priisoner go or kill them up 2 you .

Wicked!

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
The game is still gonna suck. They're probably screw up this feature. This is Bethesda, afterall.

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Greatatlantic said:
Hmmmm... I don't suppose there is a chance that the giant squirells can yield to the player?
Hmmmm... I don't suppose there is a chance you read the article which answered that question?

Elwro said:
An interesting article. The bit about timing your clicks sounds a bit similar to The Witcher, I think.
Reminded me of Gothic personally, but then I just don't know The Witcher. I guess the whole "timed attack" concept isn't so incredibly novel. It's still an urgently needed improvement on Morrowind's combat. The spinning manouver sounds more interesting.
Oh, and you couldn't even actively block in MW? Guess I had forgotten that. Or repressed rather.

Balor

Arcane
Well, if it will be at least 50% as cool as in Mount&Blade, it's be a hit. But since those lamers didn't include ANY type of horse combat... *sighs*.

Deathboy

Liturgist
Volourn said:
The game is still gonna suck. They're probably screw up this feature. This is Bethesda, afterall.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

ROOfles

Fuck, now he's got me doing it :oops:

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"Fuck, now he's got me doing it"

LOL, That's ok. I've even seen actual developers use it in response to posters.

I shall inflict Volournia on everyone!

Fez

Erudite
Balor said:
Well, if it will be at least 50% as cool as in Mount&Blade, it's be a hit. But since those lamers didn't include ANY type of horse combat... *sighs*.

The combat in that game is great fun, I see you've been suggesting things on the M&B forum too. Here's hoping it shapes up nicely.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom