Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Company News CD Project RED sales figures for 2011

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
Tags: CD Projekt; The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings; Witcher, The

CD Projekt RED announced their sales figures for 2011:
CD Projekt RED has sold in 2011, 1.5 million copies of their games, the company said in a statement. This number consists of 1.1 million copies of "The Witcher 2" and 400 thousand copies of the first game.

"In the seven months since the release of The Witcher 2, the PC version sold in quantities of 1.1 million copies, 24% of the units have been purchased via digital distribution. The first game sales amounted to 400 thousand units, although the the release was in 2007". GOG.com - part of CD Project group - sold 40 thousand copies of "The Witcher 2".

Earlier, the company announced that the world premiere of "The Witcher 2 Enhanced Edition" for Xbox 360 and PC will take place on 17 April 2012.

"The Witcher" is based on the bestselling series of stories and novels by Andrzej Sapkowski.

In the I-III quarter of 2011, CD Projekt RED had 25.22 (8$,6€) million zł of consolidated net profit with the income of 106.49 (33.6$,25.4€) million zł.
Unfortunately that's still spare change compared to real AAA titles.

Azalin

Arcane
Patron
1.1 million aren't that good for an AAA title,no wonder they are porting it to the XBAWKS.They might be good for a PC only title I guess

400k for an 2007/2008 title are very good on the other hand.I don't now what is the usual jump in the sales of an old title when a sequel comes out but 400k look impressive to me

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Who thinks it's a 'AAA' title in the western sense? A 'AAA' title needs a budget at least several orders of magnitude higher at least than the paltry $10 million that TW2 cost. Maybe for a potato production and their own attempts at hyping it up with phrases like 'AAA' it would appear to be but compared to GTA4's 100 million it's not in the same galaxy to be AAA. With that in mind, selling 1.1 million copies mostly at retail and not for chump change on Steam equals a lot of monies. The outlay has also led to 400,000 copies of TW1 being sold and even if they went for a couple dollars each, that's a minimum of a million extra dollars directly due to the creation of TW2. Porting to the XBox is virtually pure profit as the game is done already and would only have cost a fraction of the initial cost to port. Even a few hundred thousand sales on XBox would pay off handsomely.

1.1 million for a PC title with a tiny marketing budget compared to the big players and a small development cost is worth 5 million sales of Dragon Age or Mass Effect on all platforms. Incidentally the actual PC sales of Dragon Age and Mass Effect are not much better comparatively despite the money thrown at them. Oh and DA II cost more to make than TW2 and sold fuck all on the PC.

I dislike all this negativity regarding any game that doesn't sell 10 million copies or more like CoD as if that's some kind of standard to judge a games' worth. One only needs to sell enough to break even and if you outlay little then you need to sell much less to do so. Once you reach that break even point, the rest is profit and the lower the bar is, the quicker you will make money. With CDPR announcing 5 titles all of a sudden(two of them RPG's of the Polish version of AAA) it's clear that their strategy is working and has given confidence in their investors for the future.

CROmagnon

Augur
Unfortunately that's still spare change compared to real AAA titles.

Exucse me for asking but there are couple of thing i don't understand.

First, since when is 8 million $ not a good profit?

Second, what actually means that a game title is AAA? I know what that means in terms of finacial ratings. I know what a AAA maple top is on a Les Paul guitar. But what features does a game must have to be considered AAA? Is it conected to the cost of making one or something else?

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
24% of the units have been purchased via digital distribution

I am honestly surprised by this. I would think in this day and age, it would be a bit higher (maybe 40%).

Mrowak

Arcane
Project: Eternity

I am honestly surprised by this. I would think in this day and age, it would be a bit higher (maybe 40%).

They had lots upon lots of goodies in retail - booklets, CDs with music, manuals. Standard edition looked like normal collector's edition by todays standard.

Standard:
draft_lens17718405module150295661photo_1305803463witcher-2-premium-edition.jpg

Collector's:
draft_lens17718405module150295663photo_1305803548witcher-2-collectors-edit.jpg

MCA
This is a little disappointing. TW2 is easily on the same level with ME series in terms of having mainstream appeal. They should up their game in marketing. Even GOG.com is still virtually unknown.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
So I guess that means Witcher 3 will have even more console-centric design in an effort to appeal to the masses.

Kron

Arcane
villain of the story said:
This is a little disappointing. TW2 is easily on the same level with ME series in terms of having mainstream appeal. They should up their game in marketing.

Yep. Eye candy graphics, xtreme grimdarkness, game feels pretty much like a movie, etc. The game had all the potential to totally outsell other RPGs in the market.
The only danger here is if they would spend more moneyz on marketing than on the actual game, as it seems to happen with some products nowadays. Well, I don't think potatoland has that kind of money anyway.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite

Digital distribution isn't really all that popular in non-North American places (where the Witcher is the most popular) for various reasons.

CreamyBlood

Arcane
I think it's good news and I never made it past the first chapter of TW1, but what the hell, they're making money. Although they don't all cater to my tastes, I'm happy for them. Now if it had been Pirahna Bytes in the article I'd be ecstatic. Or Larien. . GO GO developers. Find your niche and stick to it!

waywardOne

Arcane
One mill sounds like a nice target for global sales, but like someone else said, I am surprised the digital-dist sales numbers weren't reversed.

This is a little disappointing. TW2 is easily on the same level with ME series in terms of having mainstream appeal. They should up their game in marketing. Even GOG.com is still virtually unknown.
Actually given these numbers I don't think ME on PC sold much more. Hell, it probably sold less.
More than a million in slightly more than half year isn't bad at all for a game with virtually no marketing and promotion outside the gaming press and with such a low budget.

Also, the game was quite demanding as hardware specifics go and PC titles thanks to digital distribution have tons of long tail sales at virtually no additional costs these days.
They are going to make good money out of this.

made

Arcane
Second, what actually means that a game title is AAA?
I don't think anyone knows for sure. Development/marketing budget, production value, (expected) revenue generated... or a combination thereof. But more than anything it's just another buzzword.

Captain Shrek

I remember them saying that the sales number for TW 1 was over a million already. Am I mistaken?

misha

Educated
Well an AAA production should have tons of pre-order dlcs unlocking content which actually exists in a base game; also some that unlocks content from other games (of EA..). A real AAA production is also a port from consoles... so clearly The Witcher doesn't stand a chance.

made

Arcane
I remember them saying that the sales number for TW 1 was over a million already. Am I mistaken?
That's 400k sales of TW1 in the last year if I understand it correctly. They had cheap deals on it on GOG to hype TW2, but still seems unbelievably high for such an "old" game.

zerotol

Arcane
Patron

ME is a third person shooter, TW2 isn't. The market for TW2 is smaller without a doubt, its doesn't appeal to FPS players.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom