Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review Mass Effect 3 Review Bombardment

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: BioWare; Mass Effect 3

Mass Effect 3 is released and, what do you know, we already have a fair number of perfect day 1 reviews. This is like that thing Swen Vincke was talking about.

Eurogamer are emotionally engaged. Also, they did their game-journalistic duty by giving a whopping 10/10.
Almost without realising it, I check in on Soldier every time I'm at the Citadel. I loiter and eavesdrop to see how she's getting on, if they've managed to cut through the red tape and get her daughter to safety. Eventually, I overhear the Asari clerk happily telling Soldier that everything has been arranged. Soldier is overjoyed. So am I, in a weird sort of way. I never even interacted with Soldier, but her story felt important all the same. It's a little splash of happiness in a story painted in thick strokes of dread and hopelessness.

Everything looks great on the XBOX 360, 10/10.
Most of the gameplay elements that worked with such success in Mass Effect 2 are used again for ME3, with minor tweaks here and there. Graphically we did notice a few slowdowns and frame-rate bumps during intense gameplay scenes or CG movie moments; thankfully they were few and far between. This may have to do with the console hardware or the fact that Bioware created one of the best-looking video games we have ever seen; everything from the textures to the shadows looks great. Describing this game as an action-RPG is probably the best way to go, although you will find little evidence, outside of the story, that Mass Effect 3 is in fact a serious role-playing game.

G4TV figured that Mass Effect 3 satisfies better than anything, not just in games, but in any pop medium. ME3 better than Jesus, 5/5.
Mass Effect 3 and the entire series stand alongside Uncharted and Skyrim in exemplifying what games can do that cannot be replicated in other creative forms. What is so unique in this game is how the presence of its conclusion feels like the existential dread that infuses the characters that make up its universe. The paradox of the game becomes painfully prescient as it draws inexorably towards its conclusion. Here, Shepard is trying to determining the fate of everything but the inevitability of the final is inescapable. All the decisions you continue to make in Mass Effect may be less consequential but they feel all the more grave as if the game is becoming a testament to who you are, or who you want to be.

Gametrailers endanger their journalistic credibility by only giving 9.5. What were they thinking?
Mass Effect 3 improves many of the series’ individual elements, and provides finality to a saga in which numbers of us have invested dozens of hours. But despite this success, it’s unable to reward the effort and investment of players in the same way previous games did. Still, it handles its subject matter in a way that invites you to care, and the addition of multiplayer does add another dimension to the game. When all has been said and done, there’s a very good chance that you’ll feel something.

Incgamers discovered the importance of Fedex quests. Also, only 9/10.
What all of these relationships and narrative choices ultimately lead to is your war 'Readiness Rating'; a numerical value that literally tells you how ready for the final battle against the Reapers you are. This is increased by gaining the support of the galaxy's races, its various technologies and even influential members of the criminal underworld.

Whilst this is built up by simply progressing through the main story, it's also raised by indulging in missions that at the time seem innocuous. For example, a simply search-and-deliver mission within the Citadel (which will be a familiar location to Mass Effect veterans) resulted in the acquisition of an entire fleet for the war effort. The lesson is that, no matter how small something may seem, everything in Mass Effect 3 has the potential to greatly affect your standing and the survival chances of everyone (and everything) who's counting on you.

EGM don't like the idea of Joker wanting to get it on with a robot, 9/10.
Mass Effect’s brilliant story remains intact, and if you played the previous two games, the payoff’s more than satisfying. Some cover and combat issues remain unsolved, though, and the idea of participation in a completely separate multiplayer mode potentially influencing your single-player ending is mind-boggling.

Gamespot give a 9/10 having some minor nitpicks like scanning still not being much fun. Do tell.
The series' focus on player choice is as vital as it has ever been in Mass Effect 3. The effects of choices in previous installments have an impact in extraordinary ways here, more so than in Mass Effect 2. Sometimes the nods to prior choices are subtle. A lover might fondly recall her previous entanglement with you, while still supporting your new romantic interest. At other times, the impact is far more dramatic. Entire quests, conversations, and characters shift as a result of your actions in previous games (not to mention, your decisions in this one). As a result, you might be delighted by characters other players never meet, share intimate talks with crewmates other players never interact with, and deal with decisions other players never make. And as in previous Mass Effect games, your entire attitude when choosing dialogue options (paragon or renegade) can drive you to conclusions other players could never consider.

Didn't see a rating there, but Giantbomb have a review too.
Even though it has some interesting ideas, it's hard to get excited about yet another take on wave-based survival, especially one that uses the occasionally-clumsy Mass Effect combat as its base. Once you start thinking about how most of the campaign's side content either uses these same multiplayer levels or has you performing extremely basic retrieval tasks, it's easy to start feeling slightly indignant about the whole thing.

But only slightly. At the end of the day, Mass Effect 3 is a game for people who liked Mass Effect 2 so much that they absolutely need to see how it all ends. Despite claims to the contrary from the game's publisher, I really don't think newcomers will get much out of it at all. All it would take is getting to the new character creation screen and being forced to select between Numerous, Ashley, or Kaiden from a screen that asks you who died during your previous missions for a new player to realize they're being asked questions they couldn't possibly answer in an educated way. The value in this story is from seeing characters you adore dealing with a continuing situation. Even though it doesn't come together quite as successfully as it did in the previous games, those of you with an attachment to the Mass Effect universe should still play it.

And last but not least, Videogamer dare to (!) give a mere 8/10. And that after BioWare invested years(!) of development time.
Attempting to manage your mission codex can be something of a chore, too. Walk past NPCs and their conversations will register key data in your codex pertaining to sidequests. Often, they can be as simple as retrieving an artifact from another planet through mining, or obtaining an item elsewhere. But they remain highlighted in your mission summary until you complete them, and for many, the pile-up will prove alarming. Worse still, there's an unseen time limit to many of these and it's easy to miss them because you opted to tackle something else first.

ME2 had better scores. I didn't see a single 11/10 yet.

Thanks, Wyrmlord.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
But Mass Effect 3’s greatest problem is its new multiplayer system. And it’s not the fact that it’s an amalgamation of Battlefield 3’s class system with Gears of War’s Horde mode, as I love both of those games’ multiplayer options. No, my problem lies in the fact that you’re pretty much forced into playing the multiplayer in order to unlock the best possible ending in the single-player mode. This aspect, called “Galaxy at War,” starts where the galaxy’s 50 percent ready to take on the Reaper threat as soon as you begin your single-player game. But instead of collecting more assets in single-player or completing side quests to improve on this number, you need to win multiplayer matches, which correlates to your armada readiness in single-player mode—this means players will be forced to play a mode they might not necessarily want to get into right away. Plus, there is no local split-screen options and a lot of times the best co-op multiplayers all allow you to have your buddy sitting right next to you while you play.

WHAT THE FLYING FUCK??? This is the stupidest thing I've ever heard. Seriously. So if I'm not good in multiplayer (which I'm usually not) and don't like this part of the game, I'm still forced to play it to get the best ending in the single player part? Good job Bioderp. It seems the multiplayer is so bad, that they have to force people to play it.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Attempting to manage your mission codex can be something of a chore, too. Walk past NPCs and their conversations will register key data in your codex pertaining to sidequests. Often, they can be as simple as retrieving an artifact from another planet through mining, or obtaining an item elsewhere. But they remain highlighted in your mission summary until you complete them, and for many, the pile-up will prove alarming. Worse still, there's an unseen time limit to many of these and it's easy to miss them because you opted to tackle something else first.

Hilarious how I like what they bitch about. Time limits and shitloads of missions? I like.

While I do enjoy RPS as a site their reviews are a very mixed bag. The ME3 one in particular is incredibly uninformative. It's epic and he doesn't like the combat, but he never did anyway. Ok?

Azalin

Arcane
Patron
But Mass Effect 3’s greatest problem is its new multiplayer system. And it’s not the fact that it’s an amalgamation of Battlefield 3’s class system with Gears of War’s Horde mode, as I love both of those games’ multiplayer options. No, my problem lies in the fact that you’re pretty much forced into playing the multiplayer in order to unlock the best possible ending in the single-player mode. This aspect, called “Galaxy at War,” starts where the galaxy’s 50 percent ready to take on the Reaper threat as soon as you begin your single-player game. But instead of collecting more assets in single-player or completing side quests to improve on this number, you need to win multiplayer matches, which correlates to your armada readiness in single-player mode—this means players will be forced to play a mode they might not necessarily want to get into right away. Plus, there is no local split-screen options and a lot of times the best co-op multiplayers all allow you to have your buddy sitting right next to you while you play.

WHAT THE FLYING FUCK??? This is the stupidest thing I've ever heard. Seriously. So if I'm not good in multiplayer (which I'm usually not) and don't like this part of the game, I'm still forced to play it to get the best ending in the single player part? Good job Bioderp. It seems the multiplayer is so bad, that they have to force people to play it.

Actually that had been leaked some time now if you were following these things Matt,there was a rumor you could increase your score and achieve the best endings playing the iOS game or the facebook game but I don't know if they have been confirmed.I din't see any mention in a couple of revies so it was probably just a rumour

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

Actually that had been leaked some time now if you were following these things Matt,there was a rumor you could increase your score and achieve the best endings playing the iOS game or the facebook game but I don't know if they have been confirmed.I din't see any mention in a couple of revies so it was probably just a rumour
I heard about the stupid facebook game, but I didn't know that they also involved the multiplayer part of the game. And I'M NOT MATT!

torpid

Liturgist
What is so unique in this game is how the presence of its conclusion feels like the existential dread that infuses the characters that make up its universe. The paradox of the game become painfully prescient as it draws inexorably towards its conclusion.

wtf :lol:

Deep thoughts man

Angelo85

Arcane
Patron
And I'M NOT MATT!
No. You are obviously MAD!:troll:

But seriously, how is a honest pirate expected to achieve the best possible ending then? Is this some kind of extended copy protection scheme? Or are they trying to expand the longevity of this title? I don't know the reasons but the outcome kinda sucks. I don't like beeing forced to do something (yeah I know, the optimal ending is optional and you can "win" the game without achieving the optimal ending. But which gamer that calls himself even remotely serious would in their right mind want to finish the "epic saga" with a subpar ending?)

I hope this method to integrate an almost mandatory multiplayer aspect into a - by tradition - mostly single player focused genre won't become a new trend in game design. Not beeing able to enjoy the majestic experience in my own personal way destroys my immersion!

hoopy

Savant

It's actually not a new idea. Battlefield 3 forces you to play certain game modes (including co-op) if you want to unlock all weapons.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
RPS's review is oddly positive coming from someone who hated how it plays and only cared about the cutscenes. Hmm...
2lw23yh.jpg

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer

It's actually not a new idea. Battlefield 3 forces you to play certain game modes (including co-op) if you want to unlock all weapons.
I know, and I didn't mind it in BF3, because those were just weapons, skins and stuff you unlocked. But this is a complete new ending.

Black

Arcane
RPS's review is oddly positive coming from someone who hated how it plays and only cared about the cutscenes. Hmm...
That pic, fucking comedy gold. At least whores are honest about their profession, those people take it in the ass and throat and then pretend they're virtues incarnate.

Monk

Arcane
According to the developers, you should be able to reach the highest state of readiness solely with single-player.

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
2lw23yh.jpg
Jim Sterling

"There is not a single Mass Effect score on any of the sites that is not bought and paid for by EA."

Definitely interested in your proof here.

I take issue with how liberal reviewers can be with their 10/10 scores, but to make the leap from "overexcited writer" to "EA bought the review" is massive, and needs more than mere assumption to back it up.

I mean, if Conrad was paid by EA to write our Dtoid review, it would be a serious internal issue that might end in a man being fired, so I definitely want to see what evidence you have.
Sterling gonna Sterling.

Mozgoëbstvo

Learned
Anyone still surprised, anout anything? The "Mass Effect 3 in a nutshell" video expresses everything perfectly. You know what's the catch?
Any codexer should've been able to put such a video together pre-release.

Volken

Scholar
Good stuff from your friendly RPG site: http://www.rpgwatch.com/show/newsbit?newsbit=19191 :lol:

Dhruin said:
It looks like disenchanted players (or those with a certain political agenda?) have targeted the Metacritic score, possibly for including a gay romance scene. The user score is currently 2.4, which may please some, but just goes to show review consolidation sites are as unreliable as the games press. Thanks, CVG.

As long as you have gay romance scenes you can pretty much blame all bad reviews on homophobes. Brilliant BiowarEA move.

IronicNeurotic

Arbiter
I couldn't care less about people beeing delusional. It just gets me when they are telling me/writing about how great the writing in ME is. Not in a "As a entertaining B-Movie Space Opera" but in a "Actually well written" way.

I mean I have now read several comments talking about how great the writing is and citing this line as a example:

"That's the thing about getting old, Shepard. The platitudes get just as old."

WHY WHY WHY so fucking WHY get people so dumb when they are playing games. I mean that line is only used in comedy mockingly. WTF is wrong with these people. WTF.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom