Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Night Watch Officially Official

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Tags: Night Watch; Nival Interactive

<a href=www.nival.com>Nival Interactive</a>, the masters behind Silent Storm, Etherlords and the upcoming Heroes of Might and Magic V announces the official development of Night Watch, an upcoming tactical turn-based RPG set in the epic universe of Others, based on the <a href=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Night_Watch_(Russian_novel)>Night Watch novels</a> by popular Russian author <a href=http://www.rusf.ru/lukian/english/>Sergey Lukyanenko</a>.
<br>
<br>
The <a href=http://www.nival.com/nightwatch/>official website</a> is online, with screenshots, animations, information about the game and forums. The following is the press release of Night Watch announcing the game:
<br>
<blockquote>Nival Interactive is pleased to announce Night Watch - its new tactic RPG set in the epic universe of Others.
<br>
<br>
Join the Night Watch and step out to protect the case of Light using all your magic power! Get ready to step into thrilling magic battles in two parallel realities - in real locations of modern Moscow and in the Dusk, the Other layer of reality filled with magic. As you gain experience your power will grow - and you will choose a type of Other you want to be out of three, Shapeshifter, Enchanter and Mage, each of them having its own special spells and abilities. Magic battles in reality and in the Dusk and twisted plot with unexpected turns will make your service in the Night Watch an unforgettable adventure and a captivating challenge.
<br>
<br>
Night Watch Key Features:
<br>
<blockquote> * Strong RPG system: you start the game as an Other of the initial 7th level and gain new abilities with each new level;
<br>
* Three lines of your character development: Shapeshifter, Enchanter and Mage, with specific abilities for each type;
<br>
* About 70 various spells and special abilities provide for great tactic diversity in each particular situation;
<br>
* Detailed characters have their own thoughts, desires and fears and step into different relations with each other;
<br>
* References to the blockbuster movie Night Watch: meet familiar characters and find out what was left behind the movie scenes;
<br>
* Thrilling plot with unexpected turns and complex intrigues adds even more challenge to your adventure;
<br>
* Destructible environment opens more tactical varieties and makes the magic battles look even more spectacular!
<br>
</blockquote>
<br>
For more details on the upcoming game please visit the official web-site at www.nival.com/nightwatch/
<br>
<br>
About Nival Interactive
<br>
Nival Interactive is Russia's leading game developer, and also the largest, with four development teams and a staff of over 140 dedicated professionals. Since its inception in 1996, Nival Interactive has been earned critical acclaim worldwide both by press and gamers for an impressive lineup of highly successful titles including Rage of Mages, Etherlords, Blitzkrieg and Silent Storm series, all backed by our genuine commitment to creativity and innovation. For more information about Nival Interactive and our games visit www.nival.com</blockquote>
<br>
It sounds pretty interesting. Although there's no details on when the game will be released, it's probable that the game will be released sometime later this year, or early in 2006.

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
* Strong RPG system: you start the game as an Other of the initial 7th level and gain new abilities with each new level;

Predetermined race and another level-based system.

* Three lines of your character development: Shapeshifter, Enchanter and Mage, with specific abilities for each type;

Three classes with marginal differences.

* About 70 various spells and special abilities provide for great tactic diversity in each particular situation;

Ten good spells for attack, ten good spells for defense, ten good spells for assorted functions. Memorize them and use them repeatedly.

* Detailed characters have their own thoughts, desires and fears and step into different relations with each other;

NPCs walk around, are heavilly scripted, and some quests actually require you to talk to more than one character.

* References to the blockbuster movie Night Watch: meet familiar characters and find out what was left behind the movie scenes;

Make references to a movie for no good reason at all. Tough selling point for those that didn't see the film, either.

* Thrilling plot with unexpected turns and complex intrigues adds even more challenge to your adventure;

Chosen One must choose and save the world in the process, but expect puzzle-solving, over the top villains, and some crossdressing to boot.

* Destructible environment opens more tactical varieties and makes the magic battles look even more spectacular!

Cheese.

And the worst part is that I actually want to like the game because it doesn't seem to be the standard D&D-esque/medieval stuff that inundates the market.

Ausir

Arcane
As for races, there aren't any different races in the universe of the novels, so I don't understand what you're complaining about. As for levels, they are used for classification of magical abilities in the books themselves.

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
Ausir said:
As for races, there aren't any different races in the universe of the novels, so I don't understand what you're complaining about. As for levels, they are used for classification of magical abilities in the books themselves.

So, its based on novels... And also has a movie tie-in?

As for complaints, I don't particularly care what they if they are adhering to the novels. I'm simply a bit tired of races and classes overall.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
It's based on the novel, that has already been established. The writer himself is behind the game, so what are you complaining about?

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
Exitium said:
The writer himself is behind the game, so what are you complaining about?

How did it go? Ah yes. Read the post?

I don't particularly care what they if they are adhering to the novels. I'm simply a bit tired of races and classes overall.

And the rest didn't impress me at all, just standard embelishment of game features.

Fez

Erudite
I'll score that one a lime green with flecks of auburn.

Sarvis

Erudite
Role-Player said:
Exitium said:
The writer himself is behind the game, so what are you complaining about?

How did it go? Ah yes. Read the post?

I don't particularly care what they if they are adhering to the novels. I'm simply a bit tired of races and classes overall.

And the rest didn't impress me at all, just standard embelishment of game features.

Huh? How can you be tired of Races? You can't NOT have races? I mean, even if there's only one race in the entire world and the player has to play that race there's still Races... well, Race.

I don't get it...

EDIT: I could understand being tired with the <i>implementation</i> of races, which is almost always just a few point modifiers for stats...

I'd like to see racial differences be much more interesting, with each race having it's own classes and such that were unique and actually made use of racial differences.

However that proved a pretty unpopular idea on the Dragon Age forums... :(

Spazmo

Erudite
Race-unique classes doesn't solve the problem of races being just a bundle of stats--it just makes races a bigger bundle of stats. The problem with races in RPGs is that nobody ever seems to care what race I am. It's not so much the rule systems that need to be modified with regard to race, but rather the game design. IMO, one of the most important things an RPG should do is react to the player's choices, and race seems like a pretty huge choice. NPCs should note your race and have particular reactions. Different quests should open up for different races--after all, why would the dwarf burgher trust some elf to rescue the workers trapped in the mine shaft? Even some of the phat loot could be race specific. It shouldn't be limited to +2 strength -2 charisma and access to the unique Orc Facerapist class.

Fez

Erudite
Arcanum made some half-hearted effort to correct this, but Spazmo is right. I'd like to see a game make the races and classes matter more.

Deacdo

Liturgist
I'm just happy to have a turn-based RPG from what has proven to be a solid developer. This is one of my most anticipated RPGs (which, TBH, probably doesn't mean that much these days). Certainly more interesting than anything being developed in N. America.

That said, hope they get some good translators.

LlamaGod

Cipher
I want more RPGs, atleast fantasy ones, where its more medieval + some magic + monsters instead of some Forgotten Realms junk with a bajillion races and magic under every rock.

Something more like the Gothic games, where its a medieval world of only humans, but there are monsters and some people who can harness the magic forces.

Being only human races competing with the monsters, its alot more believable and easier to relate and stuff, better immersion, more interesting world.

I have a hard time relating with blue skinned guys with giant ears and pointy faces that live in trees.

Fez

Erudite
Well Gothic 3 is changing that by putting in races.

LlamaGod

Cipher
I heard they arnt, so i'll have to see.

E3 will probably tell, wacky German magazines and their wrongitude.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Role-Player said:
* Strong RPG system: you start the game as an Other of the initial 7th level and gain new abilities with each new level;

Predetermined race and another level-based system.
There are no races. The 'level system' as you phrase it is based on the system that exists within the books themselves. What's the problem with that?

Three classes with marginal differences.
You managed to get 'three classes with marginal differences' from that? Shapeshifters are werewolves/physical fighters, enchanters are mesmers/psychics/healers, mages are elementalists. Each of them has their own specific abilities: obviously you're not going to see a mage clawing people to death, and likewise you're not going to see a werewolf with mad psychic powers. How this equates to 'marginal differences' is beyond me.

Ten good spells for attack, ten good spells for defense, ten good spells for assorted functions. Memorize them and use them repeatedly.
Bullshit. Games like Guild Wars, Magic the Gathering, and Nival's own Etherlords II prove otherwise.

NPCs walk around, are heavilly scripted, and some quests actually require you to talk to more than one character.
Huh, maybe. Some people wanted to say the same thing about Star Wolves, but it has a nice degree of complexity.

Make references to a movie for no good reason at all. Tough selling point for those that didn't see the film, either.
The movie and the book are the same 'source material'. It's a bonus for any fans of the movie: e.g. Russians. Why is this a problem? It doesn't get in the way of gameplay.

Chosen One must choose and save the world in the process, but expect puzzle-solving, over the top villains, and some crossdressing to boot.
If the game is anything like the book, it should be pretty good. Why you think it's nothing more than a 'chosen one saving the world from a great evil' is unmitigated considering the storyline.

Cheese.
Cheese? More like tactics. Remember Silent Storm? I didn't much like it because of the slow turns but I'll admit that it was an extremely tactical game, with plenty of environment interactivity.

And the worst part is that I actually want to like the game because it doesn't seem to be the standard D&D-esque/medieval stuff that inundates the market.
So what's stopping you? Bullshit passed on as cynicism? Then again, that brings up the fact that cynicism is defeatist bullshit.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Sarvis said:
EDIT: I could understand being tired with the <i>implementation</i> of races, which is almost always just a few point modifiers for stats...

I'd like to see racial differences be much more interesting, with each race having it's own classes and such that were unique and actually made use of racial differences.

There's a reason it's unpopular. It's a silly idea. If the character meets the requirements for the class, that should be all that matters.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Saint_Proverbius said:
Sarvis said:

There's a reason it's unpopular. It's a silly idea. If the character meets the requirements for the class, that should be all that matters.

Agreed. It's pretty fucking stupid to force classes onto a certain race, or force certain races not to be able to play certain classes. That's like old school AD&D 2nd Edition. It pretty much pigeonholes a player into playing in a certain way, adopting a certain race or class in order to min/max his abilities, with no ability to diversify. It's the very essence that makes EverQuest and every other pay to play MMORPG the garbage that they are, as they are all based on AD&D 2nd Edition. Dragon Age is a big change from that, and it's toward the better.

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
Exitium said:
Takes one to know one.

One what? No suggestion of a particular adjective that would describe either of us was used by me (only an attitude of yours, easilly noticeable in most of your posts), so I assume you were either misinterpreting or imagining things regarding what I said, or just used another of them 'snappy responses' you so much like to use, but raise hell when others do so.

Also, that trite statement of yours is doesn't bail you out of anything. That's like someone accusing you of being a criminal and as a defense, you basically don't deny the accusation, and in fact admit to being one and as such able to recognize others like you. One doesn't need to be a plumber in order to recognize one, nor does one need to be a cop to recognize one.

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
Exitium said:
There are no races.

An 'Other' basically sounds the same as race, or particular form of species, much like an Outsider in D&D does.

The 'level system' as you phrase it is based on the system that exists within the books themselves. What's the problem with that?

I see bolded, size 24 text enough for you to get my point across.

You managed to get 'three classes with marginal differences' from that? Shapeshifters are werewolves/physical fighters, enchanters are mesmers/psychics/healers, mages are elementalists. Each of them has their own specific abilities: obviously you're not going to see a mage clawing people to death, and likewise you're not going to see a werewolf with mad psychic powers. How this equates to 'marginal differences' is beyond me.

If it's anything like what has been done up to this point in terms of CRPGs, I'm willing to bet it will amount to basically all classes having different skills when it comes to names, but that many of the skills themselves will have very similar, if not equal, functions.

Bullshit. Games like Guild Wars, Magic the Gathering, and Nival's own Etherlords II prove otherwise.

Actually, they don't disprove it. If you're half as intelligent as you desperately try to sound, you should know that past games of a company do not necessarily indicate that future titles will have the exact same elements. And in case you failed to notice, in most CRPGs, while all spells have their uses, it generally boils down to using a select few ones - the most powerful and/or useful - to get the job done.

And stop pimping Guild Wars.

Huh, maybe. Some people wanted to say the same thing about Star Wolves, but it has a nice degree of complexity.

Maybe. Whenever a game developer talks about NPCs having complex emotions or somesuch, I just stiffle laughter.

The movie and the book are the same 'source material'. It's a bonus for any fans of the movie: e.g. Russians. Why is this a problem? It doesn't get in the way of gameplay.

Of course it doesn't. Then again, I didn't suggest it did in my original post - just that it's a hard selling point for those unaware of the film.

If the game is anything like the book, it should be pretty good.

Haven't read it, so I'll take your word for it. Speaking of which, I started Neverwhere yesterday. Fun.

Why you think it's nothing more than a 'chosen one saving the world from a great evil' is unmitigated considering the storyline.

Because I'm terribly cynic these past few days and get suspicious of everything everyone says. Including me.

Cheese? More like tactics. Remember Silent Storm? I didn't much like it because of the slow turns but I'll admit that it was an extremely tactical game, with plenty of environment interactivity.

I do remember Silent Storm, I played it (though I haven't finished it yet). And while I agree there's some tactics involved, I suspect that it can lead to some cheese in the form of blowing up a large part of a building to nearly effortlessly destroy several enemies in one fell swoop. It's like a Act of God cause by heavy artillery.

So what's stopping you? Bullshit passed on as cynicism? Then again, that brings up the fact that cynicism is defeatist bullshit.

No, just a condom against developer bullshit and hype. They may rape me, but they'll never contaminate me.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom