Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Night Watch Officially Official

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
Volourn said:
OMG! Races and levels! The game has cuk! no game with races and levels has ever been good!

When you finish snorting the last ounces of heroin you got lying around, try to understand the difference between me disliking races and levels as measurement of character improvment, and saying a game can't be good with them. I hinted at the first one, and didn't said the second.

LOLOLOLOLOLLIPOP

R00fles!

Fez

Erudite
This one's for you Vollie:

roofletrain0ah.gif

Ausir

Arcane
As for complaining about the race, it's like complaining that Fallout forces you into a predetermined race - human.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
So you can't play a regular human in Night Watch. Why is this a problem? You couldn't play a kobold in Baldur's Gate, either.

Naked_Lunch

Erudite
Fez said:
Well Gothic 3 is changing that by putting in races.
I'm pretty sure they're not. It was translated wrong, I think, the "races" were supposed to be new classes or guilds or something to that effect.

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
Exitium said:
So you can't play a regular human in Night Watch. Why is this a problem? You couldn't play a kobold in Baldur's Gate, either.

I hope you're pulling my leg and are not as much of a dimwit as your repeated questions seem to suggest.

Jora

Arcane
Naked_Lunch said:
Fez said:
Well Gothic 3 is changing that by putting in races.
I'm pretty sure they're not. It was translated wrong, I think, the "races" were supposed to be new classes or guilds or something to that effect.

I think it referred to the different human races living in the different regions of the continent. Such as desert people, nordic people and so on. You won't be able to choose the main character's race because he's the same guy we've played in Gothics 1 and 2.

Naked_Lunch

Erudite
Hmmm...Too bad PC Gamer's E3 coverage sucked otherwise we might have found out something about the game that wasn't horribly mangled by bad translation.

Balor

Arcane
Hmm, well, in fact, Others are not just 'mage-type' humans. And btw, those who are indeed 'mage-type' do not turn 'inhuman' physically... but since they can (in theory :)) live forever and some have indeed lived for at least a few centuries, + all the power (and responsibility, too) at your disposal - they will eventually (and author, in the book, emphasizes this) become less human indeed. Less like regular humans, more like beings those plans can be hardly understood, and motive - unclear. And btw, they more powerful they grow, the less differences are in the 'side' their are on Light or Dark.
There are other races in the setting - vampires, were-people (dark) and more unique races I cannot remember now, shame me.
All them, however, can use Twilight, at least to some extent, and somehow connected with it. (or Dusk... I guess Twilight is way better translation - cause Dusk is time of day, and Twilight is level of illumination... that's the very reason it was called so - Twilight is darker, will less colors - only colors you see, usually, are people's auras. The deeper you go, the more different it from reality, eventually turning into something completely alien.)
Btw, definition of Dark side in the quote above is greatly dumbed down. Dark ones are written off La'Vey's Satanists (or at least very close indeed) - a cult that is, while not all that nice (well, name a few people that are cynical, logical and yet - nice? :) I don't know anyone, Satanist or not) - have a philosophy that indeed has a right to live. I, while do not agree with it fully, or fit requirements being a Satanist imply (being always coldly logical and calculating among them) - prefer it above Christianity anytime. They value their freedom above all else and will NOT make actions that may impede it somehow (talking about acting w/o thinking about consequences).
Well, it' not really noticeable in the first book, though, cause it's all written from the perspective of the Light mage.
Anyway, while movie this game is being made after is rather nice (I mean first part of the planned trilogy), the written series (3 books, 4th planned, but will not come out shortly and will be, 99.9%, the last one) are WAY better. Well, same goes for LotR, so it doesn't mean a lot :). Some parts really sucked, though - especially the silly prophesy. In original books, author LAUGHED at them... and it's used for real in the books. I wonder if it will turn out a hoax after all...

Balor

Arcane
Hmm, exactly where you Caps Lock key is? :P
Oh well, it's not all that devoid of them... but I should use them more, I agree. I'll try, at least, heh.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Well, that at least shows me part of what Night Watch is about. I wonder if I'll be able to flip trucks in turn based combat like in that trailer. :D

Balor

Arcane
Well, not sure that in this particular game but in another one (well, typical 'movie-base one', no doubt) - called "Night Watch Racing" you will be able to.
Heh, looks like a trend to make all sorts of games after movies hit Russia too... I wonder if "90% shit" rule will apply to them too.
While "Night Watch" have a potential to be good, this NWR has potential to be shit allright... unless those who are makeing it are geniuses, all of them.

Ausir

Arcane
The books are quite good, but I didn't like the movie much, although it was still much better than the Polish "Witcher" movie.

Balor

Arcane
Well, given that it was the first experiment - it could have been worse. Much worse. Well, new movie is bound to come out rather soon - we'll see if they have learned from their mistakes... and I agree that books are really good. Cannot wait for the 4th, final book in the series. (Discounting the 'fanfic-like' book by Vasiliev).

Ausir

Arcane
Only the first 2 books were released in Poland so far. By the way, one of the books by Lukyanenko is a Master of Orion fanfic. it uses MoO races etc... If it were published in the US, he'd be sued immediately...

dunduks

Liturgist
Ausir said:
Only the first 2 books were released in Poland so far. By the way, one of the books by Lukyanenko is a Master of Orion fanfic. it uses MoO races etc... If it were published in the US, he'd be sued immediately...
His books are very good, I really like his style of writing. Which one is it (I haven't played MoO) "Princess is worth dying for" or Spectre?
As for the fanfic by Vasiliev, I liked it, it had some nice twists.

Ausir

Arcane
"Line of Reveries" [Linija Grioz].

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom