Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News New Dead State Screenshots Revealed

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Tags: Dead State; DoubleBear Productions

As part of their preparation for the upcoming Kickstarter campaign, Brian Mitsoda and DoubleBear Productions have revealed two brand new screenshots of their zombie survival RPG Dead State.

Today we’re showing off a few of the many upgrades the player can make to their shelter. Take a minute to look at and compare the pictures of the unaltered and transformed shelter:

qJkH3.jpg

You’ll notice a few changes between the two sets of pics. In the first one, you’ll notice that the only protection the school has is a flimsy chain-link fence. This is going to prove to become a liability as zombies or other humans start showing up and trying to take it down to get inside (which is game over), so it would be in your best interest to upgrade it to the reinforced fence, which is shown in the bottom pic. The reinforced fence ups the amount of damage the fence can take before it needs to be repaired, which makes it less of a daily concern.

You’ll also notice a watchtower in the second pic. The watchtower upgrade has two benefits. Every day it generates morale daily in the shelter by just being present. It also opens up a new job at the shelter – guard duty. When allies are posted to guard duty, they can intercept attacks earlier, which causes less damage to the fence per guard assigned. You’ll even notice an ally guard hanging out in there in the pic.

The final difference you might notice (aside from more people around) is the car. While the car is not an upgrade (it allows you to travel farther for fuel costs), there is a garage upgrade that is necessary to maintain your car or enhance it. Cars can become faster and more efficient with upgrades. Of course, you’re going to need a decent mechanic if you want your car to keep running.

We’ll be showing off more upgrades to the shelter in our Kickstarter presentation. Keep watching our board, Facebook, and website for more information on our Kickstarter launch and for new Dead State information. As always, feel free to leave feedback on what you’d like to see for our Kickstarter launch in the previous threads. We’re working hard to put together the launch and we can’t wait to show you the progress we’ve made. Thanks for all your helpful comments and support everybody!​

For more information, visit the official Dead State forum.

tarkin

Augur
Wasteland 2
Screenshot too big for the main page, please resize. But shit's looking good, maybe too clean but otherwise i like it.

Crooked Bee

Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Screenshot too big for the main page, please resize. But shit's looking good, maybe too clean but otherwise i like it.

1024x is too large for you? Are you browsing the Codex from your phone or something?

Alright, resized to 800x. Had to use imgur to upload it, though; I hope it shows for everyone.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
A big school with a big courtyard doesn't look like a good idea of a shelter, not unless you have an army at your disposal to protect it. The thought of actually re-enforcing that huge fence seems more scary than a legion of zombies. Oh well, I guess the playground can be used for training your party members.

:troll:

Nevertheless, it's good we have more info about DS.

Kz3r0

Arcane
Why RPGwatch has already a dedicated feature in game, did they donate?

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
A big school with a big courtyard doesn't look like a good idea of a shelter, not unless you have an army at your disposal to protect it. The thought of actually re-enforcing that huge fence seems more scary than a legion of zombies. Oh well, I guess the playground can be used for training your party members.
Indeed. The thought of reinforcing such a huge fence brings back memories of building brick walls in Haven & Hearth.
I'm kinda split about this game. I'm seriously tired of zomboids, but I love base building and turn based combat. Lets see if their kickstarter pitch can convince me.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
It's not really about zombies, per se, that's just the convenient MacGuffin. They could replace zombies with any kind of disaster and the main appeal to all of us would still be the base building, recruiting, management, and combat.

Cassidy

Arcane
that's just the convenient MacGuffin. They could replace zombies with any kind of disaster

My suggestion for the kickstarter:

If it gets 2x the intended goal, add along the many possible shelters Cleve's bunker, meticulously built based on his own photos, to the game, and if it gets 3x the intended goal, then add an in-game option to replace the zombies with machete rape gangs.

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
Come to think of it, that fence actually looks more like a downgrade than an upgrade. Sure, it might be slightly stronger, but you lose the ability to easily see and shoot through the fence.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
THIS GAME LOOKS SO FUCKING SWEET

I love the comments here. "A school sucks", "second fence is like a downgrade." Fuck me, here I was getting excited about the gameplay prospects and I completely forgot about irrelevant details.

Mortmal

Arcane
I really want to know whether those are in-game mock-up scenes to communicate the design concepts or really screenshots from implemented and working features.
Thats what id like to know too , that said it looks nice yes , being an ex teacher i appreciate the watchtower in the schooolyard, very convenient and great idea, just add a gatling gun and its perfect.

MCA
Does a watch tower really make sense? A guard in a watch tower = zombie magnet. They will see a moving thing from a greater distance outside the fence and will come towards it. Especially since it's not that high.

MCA
By the way, if you have an Android or Apple device, go get and play Zombie Chronicles and Zombie Chronicles 2. Very nice choice style games (ie. Choice of Broadsides, Choice of the Dragon etc.) though not from the same developers. Especially the second part is a treat with several characters of some depth and background, side quests and lots of C&C.

Google Play links:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.textRPG
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.textRPG2

edit: Hoshit there's a paid version of ZC2 with new chapter updates!
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.zcpro

A word of caution: It has some broken English and lots of typos but it's coherent and consistent. That said, where's my Android version of AoD, VD? It's not like game packs a punch with complex interfaces and game systems. For a Choose Your Own Adventure++ game, the design could easily be reworked for mobile platforms.

Alex_Steel

Arcane
Patron
It looks promising with turn-based combat, dialogues and shelter management. Also, I like the graphics. I hope it escapes vaporware status.

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
I really want to know whether those are in-game mock-up scenes to communicate the design concepts or really screenshots from implemented and working features.
Is it an RPG or Sim Zombie Shelter?

I'm most concerned I never see simple stuff like an inventory, character screen, dialog, anything. If they have been working on something like this instead of the basics I'd be tempted to write if off as doomed, that they even want to do all this other stuff makes me think it's probably just not a realistic project. How much of that do you see in most RPGs? None. I'm betting because it's a big pain to do lots of detail oriented stuff like that.

You could probably make a game just out of managing a shelter. Making an RPG too is a big pain. Or will it be like AoD where we find out that the thing we thought was a minor feature is the game, and the RPG part got left on the drawing board.

We are working the final GUI right now, we'll be showing those screens in the presentation of the KickStarter. And we already shown some dialogue screens, we will be showing more.

zool

Arcane
Is it an RPG or Sim Zombie Shelter?

I'm most concerned I never see simple stuff like an inventory, character screen, dialog, anything. If they have been working on something like this instead of the basics I'd be tempted to write if off as doomed, that they even want to do all this other stuff makes me think it's probably just not a realistic project. How much of that do you see in most RPGs? None. I'm betting because it's a big pain to do lots of detail oriented stuff like that.

You could probably make a game just out of managing a shelter. Making an RPG too is a big pain. Or will it be like AoD where we find out that the thing we thought was a minor feature is the game, and the RPG part got left on the drawing board.

We are working the final GUI right now, we'll be showing those screens in the presentation of the KickStarter. And we already shown some dialogue screens, we will be showing more.

Great news, looking forward to see to see the GUI and more dialogue.

Crooked Bee

Patron

Will there be a gameplay video, or at least a trailer showing off some gameplay bits, for the Kickstarter project? Or would that be too much to ask for at this stage?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom