Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview RockPaperShotgun Wasteland 2 Interview with Chris Avellone

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Tags: Chris Avellone; Kickstarter; Wasteland 2

Now that the Wasteland 2 Kickstarter is well over $2.1mil in funding and Obsidian's Chris Avellone is confirmed to be on board for the game's development, RockPaperShotgun have reached out to him for an interview, and he said some pretty exciting things to them. Have a few snippets:

RPS: In the basically inevitable event that Wasteland raises $2.1 million [Hey, look - I was right!], how will Obsidian fit into the picture? What will you personally be doing? How much of Obsidian will be involved, and in what role? How will revenues be split? What sort of game do you envision it becoming?

Chris Avellone: It’s up to the goals of the project. Brian’s leading the charge on that. I’ll be the one from Obsidian contributing, and as such, most likely in area/narrative design capacity. In addition, we’d be sharing our knowledge of conversation tree mechanics and layouts with InXile to make conversations in the game as good as they can be. We’ve had a lot of victories over the years that we’ve incorporated into our designs, and we’re eager to share them to make Wasteland 2 even better.

Furthermore, if there’s elements of the tools or other functionality that might help with Wasteland, we’d be looking into those aspects and sharing that knowledge as well (Here’s how we structure dialogue systems, here’s how we’ve set up the tools and editors to do X, Y, and Z, here’s some things that aid with script tracking reactivity, etc, etc).

RPS: The whole “getting Black Isle back together” news story set off a chain reaction of nostalgic comments, tweets, Facebook posts, and probably a few extremely meme-able YouTube videos. Meanwhile, Baldur’s Gate is coming back via Beamdog. There’s this giant contingent of RPG fans who constantly pine for the “golden age” to return, and now they’re getting their wish. Is that a good thing, though? Or is there a risk of pushing the genre backward — looking back without moving forward?

Chris Avellone: It depends what you mean by “backwards.” I still consider a lot of innovations that occurred with Fallout 1 and Wasteland to be unmatched in today’s RPGs. I feel true innovation often gets lost beyond features that require new engine tech and the latest video card when we can achieve more interesting game mechanics in tighter constraints.

I don’t think anything involving Kickstarter would stop future RPG iteration across the major franchises in the slightest. There’s still a market for those huge budget RPGs that people want, and they’re fun to play, so no harm there. I also don’t see the harm in the industry going “backwards” and forwards – again, I think there’s a lot of gameplay elements that can be learned from working on “old school” titles that are just as applicable in current titles and can push both genres forward.

RPS: I’ve seen an interesting trend in fan responses to the Wasteland-Obsidian probable partnership: “YES, IT’LL BE JUST LIKE FALLOUT 2.” Except that Wasteland and Fallout 2 are very different games — especially in terms of battle system, etc. How do you cater to Wasteland fans and Fallout fans while also making something that gamers who’ve never experienced either will dig?

Chris Avellone: I don’t think “modern gamers” want Wasteland 2. I think the people that remember and played these games want the Fallout 2/Wasteland experience which is a different target audience. [...] Lastly, this is my opinion: it’s Wasteland 2. It should be a Wasteland game. While there were differences between F2 and WL, there’s a lot of similarities as well: open world, open exploration, skill-based solutions, stat-based solutions, enemy types, coping with radiation, etc. I’ll be honest, we worked at playing around with Wasteland elements in Old World Blues, and people never felt the difference – they loved it all the more for those elements.

RPS: Speaking of that, will you still go forward with your own Kickstarter if the Wasteland Kickstarter passes $2.1 million? Do you have a planned start date for it yet? Or is it just an idea right now?

Chris Avellone: Yep, always in the cards. [...] We also plan to learn from Brian’s efforts. Brian positioned himself strongly in the Kickstarter model, made a lot of smart decisions, and he’s going further, by advocating it not just as a model for his game, but working to make it more industry standard. I want to support this, be involved with this, and learn from it. Wasteland 1 is in my top 10 games of all time. If I could travel back in time and tell younger Chris he’d have a shot at it, I probably wouldn’t be here today because he would be dead of a heart attack.

Also, Brian’s been really supportive of other Kickstarter projects, and he’s been great with us on this. My hope is that when we toss our hat in the ring, Brian would be willing to help us out, and I don’t doubt he will based on his actions with the community already.​

:love:

The full interview can be found here. Enjoy.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
In this moment... Everything is just so God damn right. :salute:

hakuroshi

Augur
Well, we'll either have the great revival or the end to all hopes in next couple of years. Whatever it will be, it'll be better then bitching for rpg pearls in "good for what it is" cesspool.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
RPS: The whole “getting Black Isle back together” news story set off a chain reaction of nostalgic comments, tweets, Facebook posts, and probably a few extremely meme-able YouTube videos. Meanwhile, Baldur’s Gate is coming back via Beamdog. There’s this giant contingent of RPG fans who constantly pine for the “golden age” to return, and now they’re getting their wish. Is that a good thing, though? Or is there a risk of pushing the genre backward — looking back without moving forward?
:retarded:

Jesus, and this is supposed to be an old-school PC-centric site?

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
RPS old school? hahahahhahah

I think they still think KotOR was the first cRPG ever made. Like the rest of the console kiddies. Which is their target audience apparently.

They are just jumping on the Bandwagon of Popularity™.

How much did they donate to Wasteland 2?

Oh that's right. They didn't.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

I guess they feel professionally obligated to ask a lame "devil's advocate" question?

MMXI

Arcane

This is a Rock Paper Shotgun interview, not an RPG Codex interview.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
I was talking about RPS. My point is that they brand themselves that way (just look at their header and the tone in most of their reviews/editorials) and yet they've got interviews that wouldn't feel out of place on IGN.

MMXI

Arcane
I was talking about RPS. My point is that they brand themselves that way (just look at their header and the tone in most of their reviews/editorials) and yet they've got interviews that wouldn't feel out of place on IGN.
That's not correct at all. They try to appeal to everyone to get more advertising money. One day they will be praising some new shit shooter and the next they will be talking about the revival of a long dead genre. It's both old-school and new-school. It's basically just school. The site is pure filth and attracts readers with similar traits:

Stevostin said:
It comes from the fact that the real info from this interview for me is that while FNV sold even more than F3 (nearly twice as much as Oblivion), there is no Obsidian Fallout on rail. There is no way a Wasteland 2 can make up for such a sad news.

Also Wasteland 2 is basically party based, which is not good in my book (single or companion but I do need a lead character) and top down view (really not good for immersion) and turn based (which is only good when done nice, which they never did so far).

So when he says “Exciting times for PC gamers.” I, as a PC gamers, says “not that much” :-/

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
How much did they donate to Wasteland 2?

Oh that's right. They didn't.
I think I remember seeing John Walker's name in the list of donators. I've been keeping up with the entire thing.

2lw23yh.jpg

Stabwound

Arcane
Jesus fuck, I thought that screencap of the RPS website with the ME3 garbage was fake until I went there and disabled Adblock; they really do shit like that. I'm speechless.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom