Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Diablo 3 rumors

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Tags: Blizzard Entertainment; Diablo III

While Hellgate is enjoying media's attention as the spiritual successor to Diablo, it looks like a proper, hopefully isometric sequel to Diablo is on its way. First, <a href=http://www.diabloii.net>DiabloII.Net</a> reported that D3 music was recorded in Slovak Republic, then <a href=http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/04/29/news_6123274.html>GameSpot</a> picked up the story, added some thoughts and ponderings, and decided that it must be true.
<br>
<br>
<blockquote><b>DiabloII.Net</b>:
<br>
I am musician in Czech Republic. I play not with one orchestra but with many depending on work. I have recently been to Bratislava in Slovak Republic for recording sessions with local Radio Symphony Orchestra, where we just recorded music for Diablo 3.
<br>
<br>
The music is again, like in Diablo 2 expansion, very much based on Wagner. In Diablo 2 expansion there are many plases in Act 5 that take directly from Wagners opera "Tristan and Isolde". This time for Diablo 3 there was music similar to Wagner operas "Lohengrin" and also "Siegfried" from Ring cycle. But this is not so bad that he takes from these things, almost all movie composers borow Wagner music, like Williams for Star Wars and others like Nino Rota who made music for Fellini's films.</blockquote><blockquote><b>GameSpot</b>:
<br>
So why should we give credence to someone who could be a crank from a former Warsaw Pact country? Because the music for the Diablo II: Lord of Destruction was recorded in Bratislava, Slovakia, with the Slovak Radio Philharmonic, around four months before the expansion pack was released. By that same calculus, if the music for Diablo III was recorded this month, then the game could be released before the end of the year. (Although some rumors pegging it as a PlayStation 3 launch title would make that unlikely.) So while there's no definitive proof that Diablo III is in the can, it is looking more and more likely that Blizzard will announce the game soon...and perhaps as early as E3.</blockquote>I'll file that under "good news if true"
<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>

Shevek

Arcane
Vault Dweller said:
hopefully isometric

I have agree with that sentiment. Perspective seriously affects both how the game plays and how skills/spells/etc are designed. With any luck, they wont be giving us a FPS or Zelda clone and calling it a Diablo Killer.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
(Although some rumors pegging it as a PlayStation 3 launch title would make that unlikely.)
I have to say that this is fucking shitty, which I believe to be the case.

The game won't be out by the end of the year, anyhow, considering that Blizzard North doesn't even have a lead designer at the moment, so who's making the game?

Vault Dweller

Developer
Assuming that the music story is true, and that's a big assumption, it's unlikely that they recorded music before they had something specific. So, perhaps the lead designer story refers to another project or has a different explanation. Anyway, D3 is long overdue, and it's unlikely that Bliz has ignored such a cash cow for so long.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
You know, I recall a quote from Nice Guy Eddie from Resevoir Dogs, though it's not exact. "You beat a guy hard enough, he'll tell you he killed Charlie fucking Chan, but that doesn't necessarily make it so."

EEVIAC

Erudite
Exitium said:
The game won't be out by the end of the year, anyhow, considering that Blizzard North doesn't even have a lead designer at the moment, so who's making the game?

MISTLand?

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Diablo only has 2 brothers, Mephisto and Baal. Members of the Three. They're all dead, but the Worldstone is shattered and the extradimensional planes have been unleashed into the world. The rift must be sealed in order to stop them.

Ryuken

Liturgist
Diablo 3 would be nice but an entirely new IP from Blizzard (North) would be too. Blizz North was working on two projects before the big exodus (with unfortunately one canned afterwards).

Playstation 3? If that would be true then there really is no good Blizzard anymore.

xemous

Arcane
Prime evils, whatever. 5 of them are dead, theres 2 left, enough for D3 and its expansion.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Blizzard North had a mass exodus, to ArenaNet and Flagship Studios. Whoever the new Blizzard North is, they sure as hell aren't the Blizzard North we're familiar with.

Vault Dweller

Developer
There are always prequels: Young Diablo or Diablo the Teenage years. There are many questions that still need to be answered, like why did he turn out that way, who was his father, and what was his Midichlorian count?

Pegultagol

Erudite
Would Diablo 3 possibly use the engine Blizzard used to develop WoW?
One can only wonder...I think it can segue quite nicely to Battle.net support.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
I hope they do a complete graphic revamp, if they decide to go with that engine. I don't want a cartoony Diablo.

Fez

Erudite
I'd expect them to follow the dark stylings of the previous titles. It wouldn't make any sense to change that now. They are such big sellers.

monkey

Novice
Claw said:
PS: Did anyone consider Sims Hell yet?
I thought LucasArts did Afterlife, which was SimHell and SimHeaven (you played both sides at the same time); I don't know how well that game did, though...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom