Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview Game of Thrones RPG Hands-On Previews

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: A Game of Thrones RPG; Cyanide

Here are two previews of Cyanide's upcoming Game of Thrones RPG.

The first one on Gamerant is rather brief.
In terms of gameplay, the experience will feel very similar to the Dragon Age series -- with careful thought given to how each of the characters in a player’s party interact and work together. Much of the standard RPG foundation is present -- such as inventory, leveling and skill tree systems, etc.

A stand-out feature of the combat system -- the careful choice of ‘Action Slots’. These slots are activated by pressing L1 and selecting an item or skill from the “Belt.” As more skills are unlocked and learned, they can be added to the belt and used in combat -- provided the character has enough energy to do so. When pausing to choose which action to perform next, time will slow down, enough to give the player a chance to think, while still moving forward with the action at hand.

The flow of the storyline is also heavily dependant on choices made through actions and dialogue. On easier difficulty settings, the action doesn’t factor in as much, and players are free to relax a bit and let the story take over. However, more daring players will constantly have to strategize and make decisions that aren’t necessarily on a scale of good and evil. Regardless of difficulty preferences, the RPG elements and action system should quickly become familiar to most players.

The second one on wegotthiscovered is a bit lengthier, but exactly as insightful.
As I watched and played, the amount of choice made available to fans became noticeable. Conversations could be altered based on selected responses, greatly affecting their results. For example; upon finding lawbreakers, I was able to decide whether to be forgiving or ruthless. By choosing to not let them get away with their misguided deeds, a combat situation was created. However, that’s just one time where choices affected gameplay, as several others were noticed. I don’t want to get into too many specifics though, because spoilers suck. Just know that the straight-forward conversation system of yesteryear is not employed here, leading to a more personalized experience.

Wait what? You can choose different replies in conversation and either be forgiving or ruthless? And if you're ruthless, you'll have to fight? Jesus, that's amazing.

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
Stopped reading at "Tags", HA! Booyah, bitch.

No seriously I didn't read any of that. I was just hoping to find a hiver rant in here. Maybe we could obtain this game and do some Lets Plays?

Lautreamont

Augur
On easier difficulty settings, the action doesn’t factor in as much, and players are free to relax a bit and let the story take over

FFS, just read the book if you want the story to take over.

SerratedBiz

Arcane
and its gameplay mechanics focus more on turn-based combat. A myriad of different foes will take up arms against players, who will be tasked with using a time slow-down effect to aid in ability slotting.

Just know that the straight-forward conversation system of yesteryear is not employed here, leading to a more personalized experience.

I have no Hiver and I must rage.

Tramboi

Prophet
Patron
Just read an interview of the lead writer in CanardPC, the french magazine, and at least the guy seems really passionnate about the books and the background.
Hope the gameplay won't be too shitty.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
Just know that the straight-forward conversation system of yesteryear is not employed here, leading to a more personalized experience.
hnnnnnnnnngh.... the pain....

Great. Because the ideal setting for a rpg is to take a series of works that (in both their tv and book form - although it is more obvious in the tv series) relies primarily on its maco-structure, i.e. the ability to bring together multiple threads and link disparate plot points through recurring themes, and then try to fanfiction your own story to ad onto it (that has no connection to the aforementioned interlaced threads, or at best one that is tacked onto the existing product like a garish sash sewn onto a carefully crafted suit).

If they use storied characters then fans will be pissed, and they wouldn't gain much anyway - the characters aren't particularly novel or interesting; it's the threading and thematic matching of otherwise mundane character and plot arcs that elevates the books over their competitors. If they don't use the storied characters, then you basically just have a low-magic setting + INTRIGUE!!!, which is fine but not exactly a recipe for sucess. Of course, they might just be using the setting name because it brings guaranteed publisher $$$, whereas 'the story of [low-magic setting 953]' would lead to publishers saying 'I dunno, won't the kids prefer all the spell effects from Dragon Age 3? Aren't these games supposed to have, um...what was that word again..mayges in them?'. But then you're asking to be compared unfavourably to a book and tv series that brings some expectation of story-telling with it - not exactly what you want if you're intending to use the setting for a more open campaign.

Shannow

Waster of Time
You can have all the mages you want in the game. You just have to choose a point before or after the current time of the books.

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
Not that I'm particularly interested in this game other than the potential lulz it may offer...but isn't this supposed to be a prequel that Martin himself helped write? Or am I conjuring up a false memory?

A user named cat

Can't we just get a Rance clone starring Gregor Clegane instead?

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
I am not sure what you guys ever expected from a fantasy series that has gone popular to the derp masses.

Maybe it will be good for what it is ! :codexisfor:

Ivory Samoan

Liturgist
Not that I'm particularly interested in this game other than the potential lulz it may offer...but isn't this supposed to be a prequel that Martin himself helped write? Or am I conjuring up a false memory?
He has his hands in the story - despite the grotesque animations/textures/graphics.. I'm eagerly awaiting this game.

Like a fat girl when the bar closes, she might not be much to look at.. but I'm guessing she'll give an hour or two of pleasure.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Who the hell writes reviews like that. It's like they played second RPG in their whole life.

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
He has his hands in the story - despite the grotesque animations/textures/graphics.. I'm eagerly awaiting this game.

Like a fat girl when the bar closes, she might not be much to look at.. but I'm guessing she'll give an hour or two of pleasure.

Heh. Yeah, I'll probably give 'er a shot too. Not sure if it deserves my money yet though.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom