Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview Game of Thrones RPG Hands-On Previews

Mother Russia

Andhaira
Andhaira
Dumbfuck Queued
Codex 2013
This will SUCK ASS. I wonder what possessed GRRM to give the rights over to a no name studio of obviously talentless hacks. The biggest warning sign should have been that they wanted to make two games simultaneously.

True, they first asked Bethesda to make an rpg based on ASOIAF, but Bethtards being Bethtards wanted to do Skyrim instead. One can only imagine what an Elder Scrolls: ASOIAF would have looked like...

Ivory Samoan

Liturgist
Not that I'm particularly interested in this game other than the potential lulz it may offer...but isn't this supposed to be a prequel that Martin himself helped write? Or am I conjuring up a false memory?
He has his hands in the story - despite the grotesque animations/textures/graphics.. I'm eagerly awaiting this game.

Like a fat girl when the bar closes, she might not be much to look at.. but I'm guessing she'll give an hour or two of pleasure.

Heh. Yeah, I'll probably give 'er a shot too. Not sure if it deserves my money yet though.
I'm convinced it will be worth at least a bargain bin price - early reviews state the story end of it holds up at least.... the animation/graphics in general look torrid, but.. like my ex-girlfriend, it may be hard to look at.. but could still give pleasure.

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
This is the second "Well, I'm hard up enough I'll fuck an ugly chick" analogy in two pages. The fuck, guys?

As stated, I'm not optimistic. But if they do make it in the spirit of ASoFaI there'd be some truly epic bawling when the heroic player character gets randomly permakilled in an unavoidable cutscene halfway through the campaign with no character resolution:).

Shervin

Educated
Cyanide or whatever def doesn't know shit how to make games. Their best RPG ( and maybe the only one? not sure ) effort was Loki which was a flat-out copy of Diablo 2 and its programming was a living hell. I don't know why they give work to studios that have a shitty resume. They could give this to Obsidian instead of that Southpark shit and we could hope some good shit would come out of it. I mean I don't even need to start about how much potential GoT has for a great RPG. I don't even know why they gave it to cyanide when they can't even hope to make a good RPG in their life time.

Suchy

Arcane
All right, gave it a try.

WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS SHIT???!!!!!11

You guys think you've seen some bad console ports, don't you? Well, you haven't. I started up the game, got past intro and created my character. This wasn't so bad, I liked that you can pick positive/negative traits, kinda Fallout style.
Continue. Oh, another cutscene. And another. And another... Then mandatory tutorial combat where you click on enemy and watch your dude swing his sword for 30 seconds.

Something like 15 minutes in, I finally have control. Jesus Christ, the PoV... I can't see shit! My dude's back covering half the screen, plus the tunnel vision. How do I zoom out? OK, let's head to settings, adjust the PoV and maybe add some eye-candy, it's no longer 2006 after all.

Sorry, bro, not this time.

Oh well, I'll check the controls. Should be better once I know how to zoom out, since it's not mapped to scroll wheel.

No you won't. Fuck you, bro.

Ragequit.

Ok, It's UT3 engine, so after a moment of tinkering in the ini files I got proper PoV and set my controls. Still no way to zoom out.
I loaded the game, run around for a while and talked to a random questgiver. Got a fedex quest to bring some statuettes, in a extremely lenghty conversation. Cool, lots of text, you'd think. Except the writing is on Two Worlds level, including fake ye olde English. And voice acting is just as bad.

This is when I ragequit again. Can't say anything about the combat, as I couldn't be assed to play long enough to get into a fight. Overall the game felt extremely amateurish and rushed. Wanted to be AAA, but totally lacked proper budget. Looks like shit, sounds like shit, reads like shit. And the way it's ported is simply insulting.

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
I'm actually way more excited to play this now. Haha. I expected it to be a bit crap but the more I read the more it just sounds like a total fucking disaster. Will report back!

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
It takes a hilariously long time for the game to begin, as has been stated. I got stoned right before I hit "play" for the first time and felt like I was going to fall asleep before I was able to do anything of substance. Bonus thoughts:

• Animations and VA are fucking pantslol but I'm not a graphicwhore or a next-gen tard who really cares about such shit so it doesn't really bother me. And for what its worth some of the VA seems to be done by their respective HBO actors (at least Varys and Jeor sound that way)
  • All character creation, combat and inventory feel like popamoleGEN faux-cRPG features in the most obvious of "HEY LOL THIS IS A PORT!!1" ways. Tons of "Immediate health rejv spam!" type build choices and combat options along with severely limited effects (re: I was pretty disappointed to see nothing which gives any indication speech-related skills have any effect or appearance in the game).
  • You don't realize how much a fanboy of a certain series you are until you find yourself enjoying shit like this which you probably shouldn't really.
  • I have to admit for all its shoddy bullshit and popamole tendencies I have to give them credit for trying and there have already been moments where it really did seem like series fans attempting to do something cool with the game (this was in production before the show ever aired from what I understand and at times you can feel that) instead of just a cheap cereal box attempt at cashing in on a trending topic. <-- this sentence reads back to me like the drunk I am.
  • I was seriously far too ADHD'ed out by the time the first "Ok, now you can go!" moment came to really have anything more to say.
  • What's up Serifan, you turd burglar?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom