Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Risen 2 forum activity

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Piranha Bytes; Risen 2: Dark Waters

made informs us that there's an interesting Q&A thread on the World of Players Risen 2 forum with the new Deep Silver community manager that goes into detail about DLC, DRM, and why not every company can be as awesome as CD Projekt:
CD Projekt always leads to interesting discussions so I won’t shy away from giving my personal opinion.

First of all, I have to say I respect CD Projekt RED a lot for what they did and what they are doing. They are also nice people to boot, and as someone who went back to The Witcher 2 to finish it two more times after the Enhanced Edition was released, I'm glad they did what they did. Plus, I think it’s good to have someone like CD Projekt around to shake things up in the industry once in a while.

One thing to keep in mind, though, is that CDPR works on one title at a time (or did so until now as far as I know). They had The Witcher and the Enhanced Edition, an Xbox port of Witcher 1 by another studio didn’t turn out very well so they cancelled it, then The Witcher 2, the DLC, and then TW2 Enhanced Edition on both PC and Xbox 360 which they did themselves. It will be interesting to see if they will release The Witcher 3 on PC and consoles at the same time.

If they do release it on all major platforms, they may run into some problems with Microsoft who have a pretty different stance on things than what would work on PC. You can’t do a few GBs worth of EE update material to overhaul the engine on Xbox 360 right now, and even free DLC is a problem for MS. No idea if MS are planning to change that for the next console generation, of course, and since it’s likely CDPR will first work on their Cyberpunk game before going full-on into Witcher 3 mode, we probably won’t know for a few years .

Looking at The Witcher 2’s EE in particular, it included a major overhaul of their engine with the few small DLCs they had offered for free before (not the longest quests but quality > quantity), as well as two pretty cool quests in the end-game depending on who you sided with. They did it in a smart way, because now they could integrate all of the free DLC into one console game, while overhauling the engine to make it run on Xbox 360 and simultaneously putting some extra effort into the engine for the PC version. If they had launched the original Witcher 2 on PC and Xbox 360 right off the bat, I don’t know if an EE would have been possible to do on console.

With Risen 2, it’s a multiplatform game from the start. So offering DLC for free would have been challenging enough on consoles in its own right. What CDPR did with The Witcher was a gamble and it definitely worked out for them. Since CDP owns both GOG.com and a localized distribution division, that probably also gives CDPR a bit more freedom to do experiment.

But I don’t think PB/DS and Risen 2 are necessarily that comparable to CDPR/CDP and The Witcher franchise. If we would do an Enhanced Edition type of thing for Risen 2 with an overhauled engine and everything, that would take up a lot of time for PB which they then can’t spend on something else, and I think it would be a big gamble for both PB and DS to hope for a similar Witcher type of effect after you would release such an EE. Don’t forget that the first Witcher also had a lot of bugs and load-time problems, and the EE for that one also served as kind of a clean slate/reboot for the game and for everyone to know “Ah, it’s ‘finished’ now so I should probably finally buy it if I hadn’t before.” And people did exactly that.

To get back to your question about the philosophy, I think it's great that it exists, but not everyone is in the position to do the same as CD Projekt. It depends on the situation of both the developer and the publisher (or indie dev or iOS studio) whether it would make sense to do something like an EE, what kind of manpower and resources you have at your disposal to work on CDPR type of DLC updates and engine overhauls, etc. Sometimes you don't have that luxury, and sometimes it might make more sense to create paid DLC and to then use that revenue and put it back into development (or feeding developers).

Long story short, I don't think the CD Projekt scenario is a one-size-fits-all standard type of solution that is guaranteed to work every time. Things are changing fast in the world of PC games, though, so it's certainly an interesting time to live in. I just hope The Witcher won't become a F2P MMORPG 5 years from now.

Anyway, that’s how I look at it myself, based on what I've seen happen in the industry the past years .

Good ol' CD Projekt. It brings a tear to my eye.
My heart is in Poland,
My heart is not here
My heart is in Poland
a-chasing the deer
a-chasing the wild deer
and following the roe
My heart is in Poland wherever I go.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
So basically not everyone fucks shit up the first time - so much it warrants a complete overhaul - like CD Projekt do. :smug:

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Another argument against consoles

Also, just how friggin shameless can you get? You plaster in disc-locked content, then tell people they can unlock it for 10 dorra after a month, and then tell them again that LOL IT WOULD BE FREE TO UNLOCK AFTER A MONTH IF NOT FOR EVIL MICROSOFT, HONEST.

Kane

I have many names
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
I just hope The Witcher won't become a F2P MMORPG 5 years from now.

Funny-Animals-TARGET-ACQUIRED.jpg
medium_johnny_ricc.jpg

CreamyBlood

Arcane
Bullshitz and Liez.

I made my opinion clear before about their DLC bullshit and he's defending it. I, as a PB fan-boy wanted to buy the full game day one but couldn't. Link on official page still goes into recursive butt-fuck mode to this day if you want to buy it from my region after telling them about it twice. The link on steam at the time didn't give me the 'day-one DLC'.

Plus, the guy now in charge of PB shows that he probably hasn't talked to them, doesn't know anything about Gothic plus he is a massive Witcher fan. Double whammy. I think PB killed themselves with Risen 2, such a pity, G3 was definite decline, even with the patches it was as boring as Oblivion. Risen 1 went upwards and then they decided to shoot themselves in the head with Risen 2. Not sure why it's so hard to make another G2.

mbpopolano24

Arbiter
I don't understand either. I loved both G2 and Risen, what the heck is going on in this people's heads? It must be the inevitable .... :decline:

Aeschylus

Swindler
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
... Not sure why it's so hard to make another G2.
Probably a combination of some of the talented people moving on, demands from publishers to follow certain gameplay tropes, and a wrongheaded desire to follow the trends of mainstream gaming at the expense of quality and integrity.

Edwin

Scholar
:notsureifserious:

PB>CDP

gothic 1+2+3+risen 1+2 vs. twitcher 1+2

the DRM free version of CDP is just a marketing tactic nothing more,they didnt do it out of the goodness of their hearts(remember the pay up or else schemes in germany? :D),they made additional $$$$ with it,PB doesnt have the luxury to do such a thing because they dont own a game distribution service like CDP(that said day 1 DLCs are retarded,especially if you are unable to purchase the game in 1 piece,that was a serious fuck up)

Edwin

Scholar
I hope that PB will stay alive,its 1 of the few dev. houses I still care about

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
I hope that PB will finally finish the shit console games contract it keeps making with publishers and will finally do a Kickstarter project with the Gothic Licence on a PC only format.

Aeschylus

Swindler
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
PB>CDP

gothic 1+2+3+risen 1+2 vs. twitcher 1+2
I'm not sure if you were talking to me or not, but I agree. Wholeheartedly.

I would never in a million years argue that The Witcher 1+2 combined are better than Gothic 2 on its own. But Risen 2 was not nearly as good as their previous efforts, and I do recall hearing that certain core members of PB from the early days are no longer there.

I hope that PB will finally finish the shit console games contract it keeps making with publishers and will finally do a Kickstarter project with the Gothic Licence on a PC only format.
The only issue I think they would have there is that creating a game of the scope of G1 or 2 would cost a lot more money than they're likely to make from a Kickstarter. That said, I'd love to see them escape the console gaming yoke.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
CD Projekt uses customer service to disguise how mediocre their games are... of course Risen 2 is pretty awful so comparing almost anything to it will make the other game look exceptional.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom