Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Development Info Inquisitor launches english beta

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Inquisitor

The czech middle-age RPG thing Inquisitor launched their english beta. Here's the press release:
The Inquisitor RPG launches the English beta
After ten years of development, three years of translations and several months of proofreading, the closed English beta of the old-school RPG game Inquisitor begins. The beta will run throughout August with the release aimed for this autumn.

About Inquisitor
Inquisitor is a dark medieval drama with maximum style and great emphasis on details.

The game brings you, a medieval inquisitor, to a gloomy world full of heresy, betrayal and devilish plots. You will hunt for perpetrators of the most atrocious crimes and you will meet a lot of cunning enemies. You will find yourself in the midst of a powerful conspiracy striving to destroy even the foundations of the thousand-year old Empire. As one of the three main characters you will explore all the mysteries of this depressing world and gain reputation of a fearless inquisitor and a witch hunter. Carry out dozens of secondary quests and develop your potential in order to face the more powerful and dangerous enemies and challenges. And remember—everything you do depends just on your own choice!

The main pillars of Inquisitor are primarily a fast action and a catching storyline supplemented by an original game system and unique skills and abilities of the main heroes. The authors have inspired themselves with the high standards of the RPG genre and added an inexhaustible amount of their own ideas and inventions. The result is an attractive and easy to control game with an intriguing potential. And it's only up to the players which of these possibilities they will discover and utilize.

The storyline is based mainly on the investigation of various crimes, thus the core components of the game are to expose malefactors, gain evidence against them and prove them guilty in court, using both the canon law and the secular law of the Empire. One of the most important laws is the Inquisitional Codex which lays down the rules and principles of the inquisitional process. And it's the codex that governs your methods and actions while hunting for heretics and witches who threaten the whole Empire with their obscure plots.

A very important part of the inquisitional process is the torturing. It allows you to use up to four torture instruments (a rack, a strappado, a pillory and an iron maiden) when interrogating the worst criminals.

• High-resolution state-of-the-art graphics
• Original artistic presentation
• Extensive locations and large areas to explore
• A credible story from the medieval fantasy world
• Spectacular soundtrack
• Three playable characters (priest, knight, thief) with three unique independent stories
• Surface areas and gloomy underground locations
• Interrogation, torturing, sentencing
• Massive RPG system
• Combat, occultism, sorcery

Inquisitional statistics:
• 3 playable characters, 90 monsters and 180 NPCs
• Animations of the game characters, reflecting every change in the equipment, consist of almost one million sprites (i.e. graphical elements)
• 34 surface areas with deep forests, green pastures and extensive towns
• 1.2 million square meters of exteriors
• Dozens of interiors, buildings, temples, palaces and forts
• 37 extensive dungeon complexes (including multilevel dungeons)
• 100 kilometers of twisting corridors
• Game environment design uses 50,000 manually finished sprites
• More than 200 weapons and projectiles, including many magical ones
• 80 spells with spectacular effects, 7 different schools of magic
• Huge amount of potions
• More than 5,000 pages of text

More information:
http://inquisitor-rpg.com/

If some of you are trying the game, don't hesitate to post your impressions.

Morkar Left

Sometimes I have this strange urgency to play something diablo-like for a while. Maybe this could satisfy my needs?

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I have this urge since Diablo 3 failed to deliver for more than one playthrough.

The graphics in this Inquisitor look a lot like Divine Divinity and Lionheart. Which is a good thing!

asper

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Finally!

inquisitor_12.jpg

:bounce:

Guys, don't get your hopes too high. There were threads about this game and I remember our resident Czechs said the game was mediocre. Sure, I'd like for a proper Codex review. Maybe they didn't grant RPS a review rights because they feared because their game is old school, it will gain negative publicity etc. I think one of the devs posted here about english version, and they could be receptive for a Codex review (because we mostly favor old school design).

Redshirt #42

Augur
It looks good, but that's just about it. Then again, Diablo-likes were never my cup of tea. I did like Kult: Heretic Kingdoms though (another "original" Diablo-like from CE).

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Wait, this is made by the the same people who made Kult? I remember they were working on some game for a long time too.

Anyway, fucking awesome 2D graphics.

Murk

Arcane
I recall relatively negative impressions of the game from people who had tested it out while still Czech only.

However, if it is made by the developers of Kult, that gives me some sense of positivity. Kult was a very charming game, and had wonderful backgrounds and art, as well as character.

Texas Red

Whiner
Sometimes I have this strange urgency to play something diablo-like for a while. Maybe this could satisfy my needs?

There was a thread not long ago and a developer posted. He said specifically that it's not a Diablo clone and is a true RPG. He also said something to the extent that he's tired of this misconception everyone has for some reason.

Kjujik

Educated
D’oh! At first thought someone was trying to bring the awesome Black Eye PnP module to PC.

Still it looks okayish, I guess. At least it doesn’t look like too much of a click-fest and the story seams halfway decent. It’s just a shame they went the combat route, instead of concentrating on investigating heretics and putting fear of god into peasants. We really need a game that let’s one order the Auto-da-fé.

Edit:

Texas Red said said:
There was a thread not long ago and a developer posted. He said specifically that it's not a Diablo clone and is a true RPG. He also said something to the extent that he's tired of this misconception everyone has for some reason.

I so hope it's true and the game turns out to be a hardcore RPG after all.

Texas Red

Whiner
http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/inquisitor-english-website-launched.70948/page-2

Hello everyone. We are glad to see you haven’t forgotten about Inquisitor yet, not even after all those years.

I’ve come to answer some of your questions:

Excidium: We have been working on the English version for about two years, but not continuously. There are other projects we have to work on as well – nevertheless, Inquisitor is standing quite high on the priorities ladder right now.

Azalin: I’m sure 2012 is the year of the English Inquisitor.

Licaon_Kter: Unfortunately, there is no time to make videos from the English version now. That trailer you are talking about is rather old and created in the times when the English version was just a crazy wish of a few dreamers.

General Maxson: The English translation looks promising, our proofreaders (mostly natives) are making very few changes in it.

mikaelis: There were several Czech/Slovakian reviews with mixed results:
Bonusweb.cz – 79 %; saying that Inquisitor is an honest RPG that instead of cutting edge graphics and spectacular effects prefers great and mysterious storyline, brilliantly written dialogues and suspenseful gameplay. “It’s not a game for everyone, but the fans of Baldur’s Gate will love it.” (Also, an average ranking based of 361 readers’ votes is 78 %.)
CzechGamer.com – 76 %; saying that it’s not a top-notch title, but it’s well worth your time for its fascinating storyline and the good old gameplay.
Hrej.cz – 60 %; saying that they realize that hardcore RPG gamers will definitely grumble at them for such a low ranking and with the final verdict: “If there is a game about which you could say that it’s from the old school, it’s Inquisitor–with all the good and bad that fits that description.”
Sector.sk – 50 %; saying that it’s not a bad game, rather a neat reminiscence for those gamers that were playing all previous games of this kind and that it has something to offer to younger gamers as well, even though it will be more difficult for them to go through the whole game.
Games.cz – 50 %; saying that for hardcore gamers it’s a repulsive title with absolutely horrible graphics, but at the same time saying that for the fans of smart oldschool RPGs it’s a surprisingly rich investigation in the dark Middle Ages with spells on top of it. As some readers weren’t sure what the author meant with that verdict and a flame broke out in the forum, the discussion was deleted completely and there is only one post there now saying that the graphics isn’t anything special, but that the storyline, atmosphere, fun and originality makes this game that user’s top game of the last five years, claiming it was more enjoyable for him than Oblivion – about as enjoyable as Baldur’s Gate or Knights of the Old Republic.
There were also two reviews in paper magazines – Score gave the game 80 % saying it’s the most honest, made with love and egregiously extensive clone of Baldur’s Gate and a compact hardcore RPG in which potions and spells are never enough. While Level gave it 50 % (and their review was about half the length of the opening text for the first Act of Inquisitor…).

Marquess Cornwallis: An important thing – all screenshots from the English version were captured before the proofreading began, which means that the final version will look a bit different. But as I’ve mentioned before, our proofreaders generally like the quality of the English translation.

Yaar Podshipnik: Unfortunately, there will be no demo for Inquisitor, just as there was none for the Czech version. There is no one around here who could prepare it anymore.

Texas Red: We were always saying that Inquisitor is not a Diablo clone, but you can repeat that forever and there will still be lots of people going around and saying “eh, that’s just another Diablo clone” (without playing the game, naturally). While there is a lot of combat in Inquisitor, the emphasis is definitely put on dialogues, investigation of various heretical crimes, gathering the evidence (deducing it from what NPCs tell you, from what items you find, and through the torturing as well – but there are strict rules for that, you cannot drag just anyone to the jail and put him or her on the rack – you will be able to learn more about all of this in Codex Inqusitorium which will be published prior to the game’s release), proving the guilt of the accused and – if you find the accused guilty – putting the stake on fire. As far as the dialogues are concerned, there is quite a lot of them (more than 17 MB in more than 700 plain text files). You can read more about magic directly on www.inquisitor-rpg.com (About/Magic) – you can find a general text about magic there, as well as about all 70 spells divided into 7 fields of magic.

Morkar Left

It's realtime with puases combat then? Don'T mind that either. I thought it would be more like rt Diablo where you can switch partymembers. Originally I thought the game is a fraud, but now it becomes very interesting. The review scores aren't that high but the things they mention sounds like the things I want to hear. Maybe Czech press is just Oblivion biased?

asper

Arcane
Project: Eternity
It is such a shame projects like this make all these wonderful assets that are never used again. Then the next indie dev has to spend 3 years coding and isometric engine and drawing sprites and backgrounds.

It would be great if the engine would be sold, so that a different dev might create a game with it. I mean, just look at those screens. It baffles me how anyone can call the graphics ugly.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
maybe the gameplay will be as good as the art direction!?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom