Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review RPG Codex reviews Dungeonbowl

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Tags: Blood Bowl; Cyanide; Dungeonbowl

Dungeonbowl is Cyanide Studio's newest release in the Blood Bowl franchise. In this review, Grunker takes a stern look at Dungeonbowl in an attempt to find out whether Cyanide has learned from the mistakes they initially made with Blood Bowl, or if they have fallen into the same traps as before.
The board game Dungeonbowl is a variant of Blood Bowl in which two teams of fantasy creatures play American Football against each other with a violence only mirrored in Australian rugby and Ukrainian parliamentary meetings. However, instead of the traditional football-field known from Blood Bowl, Dungeonbowl takes place in a dungeon, with all the shenanigans that entails: pits of lava, teleporters, treasure chests, narrow corridors and so on. The perfect setup for an even more brutal take on the favorite American college pastime. Players can level up, and teams be developed, just as in the regular Blood Bowl. The game is turn-based, and actions, beyond simply moving unhindered, are resolved by dice rolls. You serve as your team's "coach", controlling the actions the individual players attempt.

[...]

Dungeonbowl is a fun variation of Blood Bowl. It is more random, more brutal, more violent and faster than regular Blood Bowl, mirrored in the 2 minute turn limit for all turns. You can pull off insane plays using the narrow dungeon corridors, bridges over lava, or teleporters – plays that you could never do in standard Blood Bowl. In the same vein, it has never been easier to mess things up for yourself. An innocent trip through a teleporter can end up killing your star player, and a safe block can suddenly get deadly if you stand too close to a lava pit. As passing is of limited use in a dungeon, avoiding the bashing game for more agile teams becomes an interesting run-and-gun experience where the coach, heart in his throat, dances around pits of lava and exploding chests to secure the touch down. Games can sometimes stall as bashier teams block entry-ways and paths around the dungeons, but teleporters do a good job loosening this up.​

Read the full article: RPG Codex reviews Dungeonbowl

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
There's absolutely no doubt that this review was written by a European.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
How so? I'm genuinely curious. Is there some sort of obscure NBA trivia missing?

The board game Dungeonbowl is a variant of Blood Bowl in which two teams of fantasy creatures play American Football against each other with a violence only mirrored in Australian rugby and Ukrainian parliamentary meetings.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Blood bowl was marketed by Games Workshop as a Warhammer Fantasy parody of American Football. Heck, the canon god of Blood Bowl is "Nuffle" which is an onomatopeia of how Jervis Johnson pronounced NFL. The description the game's creator used to summarize Blood Bowl in the 2nd edition rulebook was, quote, "American Football as view through the lens of Warhammer Fantasy logic"
Why is citing what the creators of the board game rules said was the purpose of the game to be about deemed unamerican? Are there too few commercial breaks in Blood Bowl?

Either way, the dungeonbowl game itself seems to be a buggy mess with a horrid UI, lots of day 1 DLC that didn't even require effort on Cyanide's part to make (all the models, animations, sounds and code already exists in their Blood Bowl game) and Blizzard-level DRM. (Want to play single player? Tough luck, no such thing. Want to play LAN/hotseat with friends? Hope you like having only premade teams with no progression and no leagues). On top of that, dungeonbowl itself was not a terribly popular variant of blood bowl in the board game world. Considering you can't play it singleplayer and it took the reviewer up to 15 minutes to find a game, imagine how hard it's going to be once the early adopters lose interest.

In conclusion, fumbbl still has a client with a better UI, better net code, fewer bugs and which is free. :P

Marsal

Arcane
Blood bowl was marketed by Games Workshop as a Warhammer Fantasy parody of American Football. Heck, the canon god of Blood Bowl is "Nuffle" which is an onomatopeia of how Jervis Johnson pronounced NFL. The description the game's creator used to summarize Blood Bowl in the 2nd edition rulebook was, quote, "American Football as view through the lens of Warhammer Fantasy logic"
Why is citing what the creators of the board game rules said was the purpose of the game to be about deemed unamerican? Are there too few commercial breaks in Blood Bowl?
eb6.jpg

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Apparently I'm stupid.

The guy who made the original boardgame said "This is intended to be a parody of american football". The guy who reviewed the game said "This is a variant on a game where fantasy races play american football". For some reason this made it obvious to anyone* that the reviewer is european. Is this one of those things americans get disproportionately agitated about, like defecating on their flag?

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Don't worry bro, I was just stringing you along. We just get extremely defensive around American Handegg because it's one of the few sports where america wins every year. So when somoene makes a not-handegg game and says it's supposed to be a parody of handegg we 'sperg out and refuse to give a straight answer.

Ah, it all makes sense now. Thanks.

All glory to Handegg.
3849.jpg

Anyway, back on topic. How exactly are the chests distributed in cyanides dungeonbowl? Are all of them at an equal distance to both endzones? It kind of sucks in the boardgame when the ball is in a chest that one team can reach 2-3 turns before the other team considering first touchdown wins the game. :P

Marsal

Arcane
Don't worry bro, I was just stringing you along. We just get extremely defensive around American Handegg because it's one of the few sports where america wins every year. So when somoene makes a not-handegg game and says it's supposed to be a parody of handegg we 'sperg out and refuse to give a straight answer.

Ah, it all makes sense now. Thanks.

All glory to Handegg.
Yes, we Americans are touchy like that, aren't we my fellow Americans? I'm going to finish my burger and diet Coke, before I go hunting with my new automatic shotgun. It's so awesome living in the land of the free! America: Fuck yeah!

tumblr_lpxn7fUMr31qa9ytm.gif

Well, the game changed a lot from its inception to its current form. There is still a fair amount of kicking the football, but it used to be kicked a lot more, so the name was a lot more apt back in the day. Of course they aren't going to change the name just because the strategies have changed.

And an American probably wouldn't have bothered clarifying it was American football, that's all.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Leave it to the Codex to make the most controversial part of the review into the fact that Blood Bowl is refered to as 'American Football' :lol:

OldSkoolKamikaze: Marsal's obvious trolling aside, the author's do think it is a parody of American Football. But I assume you refer to the fact that I don't just call it football flat out? If so, start kicking the ball and we might talk :obviously:

Eyeball

Arcane
You know, I'd buy a whole new BB game at full price if Cyanide could get off their useless asses and fix the goddamn AI. It's shameful, I can walk all over the AI teams without breaking a sweat, facepalming as Chaos teams try to pull off running games and causing turnovers even on hard.

No improved AI, no buy.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Well, in all honesty I think Blood Bowl would be a far better game if they focused on it for multiplayer only. It's a board game consisting of league and ladders resulting in development play. It's the fact that they do all this half-assed shit and never finish a god damn thing that's tearing them down.

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
How so? I'm genuinely curious. Is there some sort of obscure NBA trivia missing?

I'm mostly just giving Grunker shit. What made me say that was this: "favorite American college pastime." I'm not sure what he means there. What came to mind is that either he thinks college football is more popular than professional football (it's not) or that football is mostly enjoyed by college kids (it has a much wider demographic).

It doesn't play like football. It plays more like rugby with blocking and forward passing.

Hmmm... Wonder who's the all-time highest scoring kicker in NFL history? Oh, it's a dane. Second-best is a south african. Figures.

Just goes to prove, if you need a foot on the ball, you bring in a non-american. :P

They're both placekickers. To give you an idea of what that means: Almost all women who have crossed over onto predominantly male football teams have done so by playing placekicker or holder; both positions are generally protected from the full contact generally present in American football. In other words, the best place for a European.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I'm mostly just giving Grunker shit. What made me say that was this: "favorite American college pastime." I'm not sure what he means there. What came to mind is that either he thinks college football is more popular than professional football (it's not) or that football is mostly enjoyed by college kids (it has a much wider demographic).

Or the much more obvious option: I meant that it was a favourite sport for college kids?

Which is true. I have been to your country three times and I'm coming back in January, so I know about these things. Now shush.

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Or the much more obvious option: I meant that it was a favourite sport for college kids?

Which is true. I have been to your country three times and I'm coming back in January, so I know about these things. Now shush.

You could just as easily say it's the most popular sport for middle aged men! It's the most popular sport in the country, period.

Which is true. I've never even fucking left this country, so I know about these things. Now hush.

And what's with your flip-flopping on spelling? Pick either American or British English and stick to it!

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Nice review, Grunker. Also, LoL @ links embedded ito the article. ;)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom