Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News One more writer for Wasteland 2

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Tags: Colin McComb; Wasteland 2

Earlier this week we heard that Brian Fargo had added an additional writer to the Wasteland 2 team: Patrick McLean.

It seems like that wasn't enough. Today, Fargo announces yet another addition to Wasteland 2's writing team. This time it's Colin McComb (Planescape, Pathfinder, Birthright).

Here's McComb's own announcement:
I am also working on Wasteland 2. Damn straight.

Just to make sure you’re in the right place: I’m the game-designing Colin, the fiction-writing Colin, the wordy Colin. If you want the science Colin or the Canadian Colin, I’m not your guy.

If you’ve heard my name in the context of games, it was probably because you played Paizo’s Pathfinder RPG, TSR’s Planescape or Birthright campaign settings, or Black Isle’s Planescape: Torment. You can check out the Bibliography/Ludography page to be sure.​

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
TSR
  • Taladas: The Minotaurs
  • Islands of Terror
  • Thunder Rift
  • Knight’s Sword
  • Tales of the Lance
  • The Complete Book of Elves
  • Dragon Mountain†
  • The Complete Gladiator’s Handbook
  • The Galactos Barrier
  • Deck of Encounters, Sets 1 and 2
  • Well of Worlds
  • Howls in the Night
  • Red Jack (Masque of the Red Death)
  • Ravenloft MC Appendix III: Creatures of Darkness
  • Planes of Law
  • Birthright Campaign Setting‡
  • Player’s Primer to the Outlands (CD Script)
  • Endier Domain Pack
  • Sword and Crown
  • Planes of Conflict
  • Hellbound: The Blood War
  • On Hallowed Ground
  • Faces of Evil
  • The Great Modron March
:takemymoney:

MuscleSpark

Augur
Patron
Okay Colin McComb is great but do they really need more writers?
How about some artists? So the clusterfuck that happened last week doesn't happen again and we don't have to suffer because of those awful Unity Store assets.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Okay Colin McComb is great but do they really need more writers?
How about some artists? So the clusterfuck that happened last week doesn't happen again and we don't have to suffer because of those awful Unity Store assets.
I'd much rather the writing be top notch and the gameplay be interesting than they invest a lot of money in the visuals. Really as long as the visuals are able to clearly communicate what is happening, I'll be happy.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Hey, the guy responsible for some of the worst areas of Fallout 2 (Broken Hills and San Francisco) and Torment (Curst, Under Curst, Carceri) brings his fail to Wasteland 2: New Frisco. Awesome. At least nonsense like talking plants, chess-playing scorpions, and hubologists fit Wasteland's setting better.

Marsal

Arcane
Hey, the guy responsible for some of the worst areas of Fallout 2 (Broken Hills and San Francisco) and Torment (Curst, Under Curst, Carceri) brings his fail to Wasteland 2: New Frisco. Awesome. At least nonsense like talking plants, chess-playing scorpions, and hubologists fit Wasteland's setting better.

Roguey with the scoop! :love:

Black

Arcane
Oh shit, I hated Broken Hills and San Fran for almost no lewt on the shelves.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Oh shit, I hated Broken Hills and San Fran for almost no lewt on the shelves.
He said they give him a 15 minute introduction to the dialogue editor and then just let him loose without any more direction. Didn't tell him, for example, not to use containers as furniture in mass quantities.

Fat Dragon

Arbiter
Instead of all these writers, why don't they hire someone who worked on Jagged Alliance 2's combat system or something? Tons of good writing won't mean a thing if your game is dull to play, and fun turn-based combat is hard to do.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Assembling a good writing team is essential to Wasteland 2. I think they now have that ground covered. How they all work together? Who the fuck knows.

A screenshot? Whatever. I could care less.

COMBAT, STATS, SKILLS, THAT I want to know more about. Story is a good part, but now let us see them mesh that with the rest of a good cRPG. Though it may be a bit early to display these things. But THAT is the news I am more looking forward to.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
"Ironically, as games move away from words in favour of visuals, in a way they become less evocative, less characteristic, less memorable..." - Per Jorner

"Ironically, as games move away from words in favour of visuals, in a way they become less evocative, less characteristic, less memorable..." - Per Jorner

True dat bro. And I certainly hope that he is hiring all these writers so we'll get awesome text descriptions like in Wasteland and Fallout (among other things). Also I hope he implements "Ask me about" button, I find that lovely. Like in original Wasteland and even Fallout. Is it foolish to hope for such things in a 2013 game (well text descriptions at least)?

AngryKobold

Arcane
The more and better writers Inxile hire, the bigger butthurt gonna be after the game turns out to be a crap :smug:

attackfighter

Magister
graphics would only matter if it was 2d isometric. since it's not it will just end up looking like all other 3d top down perspective games regardless of how much they invest into it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom