Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Editorial Deus Ex Retrospective with Warren Spector at GameInformer

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Tags: Deus Ex; Ion Storm; Warren Spector

GameInformer offers a video retrospective of Deus Ex, featuring Warren Spector and a bunch of other folks, including the one attempting to play the game, who is amusing to watch.

Ben Hanson, Adam Biessener, myself, one of Epic Mickey 2's producers Raul Ramirez, and Warren Spector all sat down only to stand right back up and take a stroll down memory lane, making sure to stick to the shadows wherever possible. Spector talks about how he was moments away from signing a contract with Electronic Arts to create a Command & Conquer RPG, when John Romero called him up and made him an offer he couldn't refuse. We also take a look at at one of Warren's favorite games that influences his work even today with the development of Epic Mickey in our Replay Roulette.

tl;dw Warren Spector loves Suikoden and doesn't care one bit about focus tests.

Sleepwalker

Novice
Great interview, horrible playthrough. The guy playing this was so bad it hurt to watch.

EG

Nullified
So it's Spector to blame for the horror of C&C Renegade . . .
:rage:

Ion Prothon II

Liturgist
And what's your problem, that it wasn't a turn- based isometric RPG with a shit- ton of C&C ( :lol: )? Then yeah, it sucked. That it was a bad game? Fuck you, C&C:R was a decent shooter and an interesting attempt at making an action game based on strategy. In gameplay terms, it's still technically superior to the most of nextgens.

EG

Nullified
It was just a normal late 90s shooter, without much story, and a focus on vehicles. Or, that's all I remember of it. I've got the disk somewhere . . .

SoupNazi

I loved C&C: Renegade for the freaking awesome multiplayer. Great classes, base destroying and upgrading, vehicles, hell - it had a DoTA-like mechanic, I think, where the bases automatically churned out vehicles and troops to attack the other base in one of the three (or more) directions, and you could accompany them (had to if you wanted to win). That was way before DoTA even existed, I think.

C&C Renegade was a great game and would have been far better if EA hadn't been busy raping Westwood at the time. There was originally supposed to be 6 different multiplayer modes and it was slashed to 1...

EG

Nullified
I loved C&C: Renegade for the freaking awesome multiplayer. Great classes, base destroying and upgrading, vehicles, hell - it had a DoTA-like mechanic, I think, where the bases automatically churned out vehicles and troops to attack the other base in one of the three (or more) directions, and you could accompany them (had to if you wanted to win). That was way before DoTA even existed, I think.

Huh, don't remember any of that, beyond running around in a prebuilt base to press buttons to make vehicles appear. Though, I don't often touch multiplayer aspects of games.

Your description, though, reminds me of the console game Future Cop, L.A.P.D.'s multilayer. Run around a base, produce vehicles in a multitude of directions, and chase after them to win.

Fine! Fine! I'll give it another shot . . .

EG

Nullified
But wouldn't it be better if C&C Renegade was Dues Ex? :(

I think Renegade is the one we have to thank for being able to call in a tactical nuclear strike in FPS games. Multiplayer was great and required a lot of strategy and coordination, though with too many players the maps tended to get bogged down since defenders have a large advantage and the game would end in a victory for whatever side had the most points (which were horribly, horribly implemented).

Single player was good, but mostly for the cool feeling of having seamless open battlefields and intricate NOD buildings in the same maps, which did a good job of making it feel in the same vein as the RTSs. Beyond that it was pretty simple. If Warren Spector was in charge we probably would have gotten even less multiplayer in exchange for a better single player. I'm not sure how I would feel about that.

Ion Prothon II

Liturgist
Is there any detailed info on what C&C:R was planned to be?

I remember how the game was initially said to be focused more on stealth and tactics, than just emptying the clips. It was before Westwood started dealing with EA. I've seen an interview, or an article paraphrasing the interview, where one of devs described how smart the AI was. In one of tests, he said, enemies used chains to climb up and flank the PC.

All of this sounded too good to be true. It wasn't unbelievable- there were already smiliar games, doing it worse or better: Spec Ops, Thief, Hidden & Dangerous, maybe even the first Hitman was released then. But it was also clear it's a lot of marketing talk, mixed with reviewer's wishful thinking.

Then, from what I know, the game kinda turned into Duke Nukem Forever, to be finally released under EA. 100% shooter with surprisingly good MP, and with no chains player could climb at. That makes me wonder how much the game was simplified, if it was simplified at all.

EG

Nullified
Is there any detailed info on what C&C:R was planned to be?

I remember how the game was initially said to be focused more on stealth and tactics, than just emptying the clips. It was before Westwood started dealing with EA. I've seen an interview, or an article paraphrasing the interview, where one of devs described how smart the AI was. In one of tests, he said, enemies used chains to climb up and flank the PC.

All of this sounded too good to be true. It wasn't unbelievable- there were already smiliar games, doing it worse or better: Spec Ops, Thief, Hidden & Dangerous, maybe even the first Hitman was released then. But it was also clear it's a lot of marketing talk, mixed with reviewer's wishful thinking.

Then, from what I know, the game kinda turned into Duke Nukem Forever, to be finally released under EA. 100% shooter with surprisingly good MP, and with no chains player could climb at. That makes me wonder how much the game was simplified, if it was simplified at all.

An RPG.

Not that I have the magazines that articles and concept art appeared in for two years prior to its release. :(

J1M

Arcane
He doesn't like focus group testing, but he is a big fan of getting people in to test his game and watch them play. Can someone translate this into english?

EmoBunny

Savant
He doesn't like focus group testing, but he is a big fan of getting people in to test his game and watch them play. Can someone translate this into english?

He likes getting info by watching the players play, but he doesn't want to hear them actually voice their opinions.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom