Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News King of Dragon Pass Released on GOG

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Tags: A Sharp; King of Dragon Pass

This is not technically an RPG, but it is often described as having "RPG elements", and the game is just so brilliant that it is my duty anyway to inform you that King of Dragon Pass has been added to GOG's collection for the price of $5.99.

What's cool about it:
  • Each play-through offers hundreds of events combined in a unique storyline for limitless replayability.
  • Each of your decisions yields its consequences as the saga of your clan unfolds chapter by chapter.
  • The colorful and imaginative gameworld can surprise you with something new even after dozens of hours worth of gameplay.
Overview:
When your tribe decided to settle down in the unexplored territories of the Dragon Pass, you knew they would need a strong, uncompromising leader to survive, so you stepped up and claimed the mantle of chieftain. With it came the responsibility of making countless decisions that shape the future of your clan, its neighboring tribes and--in the big picture--the world of Glorantha itself. Will you prove to be a leader just and brave enough to lead your people towards prosperity in this strange land full of magic and dangerous creatures? Will you be able to forge lasting alliances and win the wars against those who oppose you? Do you have what it takes to unite the clans and become the very first King of Dragon Pass?

King of Dragon Pass is a game like no other. It combines strategy, adventure, RPG, and civilization sim, but it focuses mostly on storytelling. Each turn the game offers you with a choice to make and the progress of the story depends solely on your decisions. The difference between right and wrong is seldom obvious, but whatever action you take, be ready to face its consequences later. There are virtually limitless ways the story can unfold, so each play-through--whether it's a quick game or an extended campaign--promises new adventures and plot twists!​

Grab it here. As is usual with GOG, the download also includes the game's manual, reference card, and soundtrack.

Last edited by a moderator:

asper

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Wonder how they got around the copy protection, since the devs lost their source code...

A digital download version of KoDP is loooooooong overdue. They lost a lot of potential fans because people are not eager to have a CD shipped to them for 20 dollars. You also had to send them an e-mail if you wanted to buy this..

In any case, a unique game, very good stuff right there. The best addition to the gog catalogue this year.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Wonder how they got around the copy protection, since the devs lost their source code...

A digital download version of KoDP is loooooooong overdue. They lost a lot of potential fans because people are not eager to have a CD shipped to them for 20 dollars. You also had to send them an e-mail if you wanted to buy this..

In any case, a unique game, very good stuff right there. The best addition to the gog catalogue this year.

Haha... How do you manage to lose your source code? Ouch...

asper

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Hahah.... The devs are giving mad props to the scene crackers of GoG... Or did they steal someone else's crack again?

http://kingofdragonpass.blogspot.nl/

We’re delighted to announce that the original King of Dragon Pass game is now available as a digital download, thanks to Good Old Games.
gog-banner.png

We have long wanted to provide a way for players to download the game. (When it came out in 1999, it was distributed on CD, as the most practical way to distribute 450 MB of data.) Back in 2006, we actually had a signed distribution deal (with another company). However, we were unable to rebuild the game in such a way that it didn’t require a CD, and still worked correctly. The fact that we were using a development system that had been discontinued in 1998 didn’t help.

Good Old Games took a different approach. I don’t know exactly what they did, but I assume it was some sort of patch. They do this sort of thing all the time, so they’re obviously good at it.

"Some sort of patch" Haha... It didn't occur to the devs just to crack the copy protection?

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
I don't think it was as much matter of copy protection as it was how the game worked. The way it is built, the game can be played from the CD but if you install it, which also allows you to patch it, then it still looks for data files at the root of the CD. Not only that but the drive must be named "KoDP" and is case-sensitive. One way to play without the CD is copy those files at the root of a hard drive and rename it as KoDP, but that's not very practical. I guess the game was built following the philosophy of the time where copying a whole CD on your hard drive was a huge thing to do, and then they probably did not get much interest in changing that as it was based on old technology and they deemed there wasn't a big demand for it.

Azalin

Arcane
Patron
Hahah.... The devs are giving mad props to the scene crackers of GoG... Or did they steal someone else's crack again?

We’re delighted to announce that the original King of Dragon Pass game is now available as a digital download, thanks to Good Old Games.
gog-banner.png

We have long wanted to provide a way for players to download the game. (When it came out in 1999, it was distributed on CD, as the most practical way to distribute 450 MB of data.) Back in 2006, we actually had a signed distribution deal (with another company). However, we were unable to rebuild the game in such a way that it didn’t require a CD, and still worked correctly. The fact that we were using a development system that had been discontinued in 1998 didn’t help.

Good Old Games took a different approach. I don’t know exactly what they did, but I assume it was some sort of patch. They do this sort of thing all the time, so they’re obviously good at it.

"Some sort of patch" Haha... It didn't occur to the devs just to crack the copy protection?

So GoG are now officially better at cracks than SKIDROW?:hero:
:flamesaw:

kaizoku

Arcane
w00t!

was meaning to try this one for some time after reading some good things about it on the codex

plus, it allows jesus to ride on triceratops :smug:

deus101

Never LET ME into a tattoo parlor!
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2

gog-banner.png

So GoG are now officially better at cracks than SKIDROW?:hero:
:flamesaw:
FAR FROM IT!

We need a cracktro first!

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
This is good news. It's about time ppl give this game a spin.

If people are unsure what this game is about do read this LP in our subforum for a general idea.

Tolknaz

Augur
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Bought it. The game was literally impossible to get these days for reasonable price unless you're an iFag. GOG deserves a major sack of potato.

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Bought.
So much talent poured into this game.
Hopefully this can be played windowed unlike the version floating around the net.

Wavinator

Educated
Dammit I just paid them $40 for their weekend deal of Ultimas & indie games! Bought!

It's a bizarre feeling to finally have too much to play.

Turjan

Arcane
I guess I'll have to buy this, as the game plays in one of my most favorite settings.

Repressed Homosexual
Please only release classic gems like this and not those retarded indie games and three year old Ubisoft games for 30$ anymore. It was so fun to follow the releases from week to week in Gog's first two years or so, now I don't give a damn.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
Choice is good. I don't care if they deal with crap as long as they also deal with good stuff, even if they have more crap than good stuff. I'll worry when they only have crap on their catalogue.

Jashiin

Arcane
This looks like great fun, reminds me of old koei games for some reason.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Please only release classic gems like this and not those retarded indie games and three year old Ubisoft games for 30$ anymore. It was so fun to follow the releases from week to week in Gog's first two years or so, now I don't give a damn.

Well to be fair, after the first couple of years they ran out what they could release from the old times apart from a few big studios holding out with their ancient IP's and other things they were chasing down rights to. All that's really left now is the SSI RPG stuff as the obvious big fucking hole. Other more obscure stuff probably GoG can't find who has the rights to so they had to diversify in order to keep being able to offer fresh stuff while they scraped up what they could.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom