Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News DreamCatcher to publish Metalheart: Replicants Rampage

Fez

Erudite
Tags: Akella; Metalheart: Replicants Rampage

The cyberpunk turn-based RPG <A HREF="http://www.metalheart.ru/english/index.html">Metalheart: Replicants Rampage</A> has been secured for a North American release by the publisher <A HREF="http://www.dreamcatchergames.com">Dreamcatcher</A> and has an entry in it's online catalogue giving a brief <A HREF="http://www.dreamcatchergames.com/dci/metal_heart/">description</A> for those who have missed out on this title:
<br>
<br>
<blockquote><b>Features:</b>
<br>
<br>
<ul><li>Gain experience, hone your skills and enhance your abilities with more than 600 high-tech implants!
<br>
<li>Explore 150+ locations in a beautifully created cyber-punk, apocalyptic world.
<br>
<li>Control a party of up to 6 characters to solve enigmas and fight your foes.
<br>
<li>Dozens of highly detailed Non Playing Characters who will progressively unveil the terrible plots of the Empire.
<br>
<li>Turn-based combat system - use your action points strategically to overcome your enemies!</ul></blockquote>
<br>
<br>
Cyberpunk. Post-apocalyptic. Turn-based combat. They had better not screw this one up. There's a few screenshots for you to browse there too, it's pretty and suitably apocalyptic/cyberpunkish.

Spazmo

Erudite
I'm afraid it's a Russian game and thus is exceedingly likely to fail right from the start. I do still hope it's good, though.

Surlent

Liturgist
Does this mean English version for europeans is on its way too ? Dreamcatcher's website gives impression they publish also in EU.

Fez

Erudite
DreamCatcher care not for the tribal lands of Europe. USA NO.1

patrioticgraphic2mid9ff.jpg

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Dhruin said:
German, just for reference.

Well, shit. You're right, Akella just published it for NumLock.

Then again, I'm trying to think of a German CRPG that I've really, really liked and I'm drawing a blank. :)

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Now I am confused. All obvious indications suggest it's a Russian game, but NumLock Software is registered in Germany. Not to mention this is the first time I even hear about NumLock.
Funny thing, the English on the Numlock website appears more fluent than on the Akella website.

EEVIAC

Erudite
Australian and New Zealand viewers can order the game here - release date is July 30. Take a look at the blurb and tell me you're still skeptical :

• The game successfully affirms all the best traditions of intelligent RPG such as Fallout and Arcanum : Of Steamworks And Magic Obscura. Metalheart : Replicant's Rampage will satisfy even the most refined taste of true connoisseurs.

It even features the ULTIMATE WEAPON, how could the game possibly be bad?

Spazmo

Erudite
Dhruin said:
German, just for reference.

My apologies to the developers, but my statement still works if you substitute "German" for "Russian", although I suppose German might be easier to translate.

Deacdo

Liturgist
Who cares? A great game is a great game no matter where it is made :|

My main concern with German/Russian (whatever) made games (particularly RPGs) is the quality of the localization. Since Dreamcatcher is releasing the game for $20 US ($25 Cdn), one has to assume that the packaging will be next to nothing...and I'm worried about how much effort was put into localizing the game :(

As for a European release...the *original* announcement was for the UK, so it must certainly be getting released there.

I hope this game runs on Win. 98 :oops:

Sarvis

Erudite
Hrm... sounds interesting, but I've never been a huge fan of cyberpunk.

Hopefully there's a demo or something...

Surlent

Liturgist
Fez said:
DreamCatcher care not for the tribal lands of Europe. USA NO.1
Come on guys, you're inside ! Surely you must know something about EU release ?

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
the_dagon said:
what about Gothic ?

I didn't like the character system(or lack thereof). I didn't like the combat. I hated the interface. I really didn't like how after you picked a faction, it turned in to a linear fetch this and that while killing critters game.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Dhruin said:
Dreamcatcher announced Euro distribution back in May, I think. It was supposed to be released in June, but obviously that didn't happen. :)
The Polish distributor says the game will be released (in Poland) on the first of August.
Iirc it was already translated in May.

SpFiota

Novice
I played a leaked alpha, so things have hopefully improved. But who knows? More than likely they're just going to release it way before it's ready. That seems to be the trend these days.

Combat really, really blew chunks. It was turn-based but there was no real strategy going on. Just click on an enemy and shoot. Again and again and again. Not much fun. The interface is a poor ripoff of Fallouts. Didn't care much for it. There was an attempt at character interaction, though. Granted the translation was god awful, but at least it went beyond idiot catchphrases and polygonal jello-tits.

My gut tells me the game will flop. But I'll wait until I have an official demo in my hands before turning my thumb up or down.

Atrokkus

Erudite
I don't give a shit about combat, as long as it's real RPG with dialogs and story.

The Russian release is soon, so i guess i'll find everything out soon enough.

The requirements don't seem to be too high, so even my low-end system might fit just fine.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
DreamCatcher doesn't really have a single game that wasn't utter crap.

Too bad, I was looking forward to this. Seemed interesting.

SpFiota

Novice
It had dialogue and the trappings of a story.

For instance:

"Did anyone left some useful stuff in the shuttle in case of an unforeseeable fortuity such as a crash-landing?"

"I only see a few medkits and a crowbar!?"

"Crud! That's bad luck in misfortune!"

Here's hoping that stuff will be fixed before release. Still, the story didn't interest me much. You and some chick crawl out of a wrecked spaceship in the middle of a wasteland. They talk a bit, then the chick suggests you head to a city they saw just before the crash. You blast a few giant scorpions here and there, work your way to the city's walls, and sneak in. Then you meet the leader who explains that the people there are former prisoners who escaped and somehow hit a time/space anomaly and wound up on this random planet. Then he sends you to another part of the city to kill stuff. TB or not, it seems the game places a much stronger emphasis on combat.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom