Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Quest for Glory Creators To Kickstart New Turn-Based Adventure-RPG

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Tags: Corey Cole; Hero-U: Rogue to Redemption; Lori Cole; Transolar Games

Corey and Lori Cole, creators of Quest for Glory, are back! It has been known for some time that they are working on a new game, and today it has finally been announced. Thankfully, it is a single player, not social, game. Furthermore, Hero-U (working title) is not just a single game, but what is supposed to be a 5-game series. Moreover, in contrast to Quest for Glory, Hero-U is being advertized by the Coles as a "turn-based, tactical" game, as stated on the reveal page:

The Hero-U combines turn-based, tactical combat and dungeon exploration with rich character interactions, challenging puzzles, and an immersive story. Acclaimed game designers Corey and Lori Cole – creators of the award-winning Quest for Glory series and Castle of Dr. Brain – take you on an epic role-playing journey.

Your life has not been an easy one. Caught red-handed during your thieves’ guild initiation, you have a seemingly-easy choice – Go to reform school or rot away in prison. The teachers and students are intent on making your life a living hell, while trouble lurks in the catacombs below. It’d help if you didn’t need to worry about being killed and passing midterms.

Corey and Lori Cole have assembled a star development team featuring Brawsome, developers of the award winning MacGuffin’s Curse and Jolly Rover. The School for Heroes features:
  • Tactical combat, where player choices make a real difference
  • Branching conversations that affect your relationship with other characters
  • Characters with unique personalities and their own agendas
  • Challenging puzzles that are an important, organic part of the story
  • Meaningful choices between exploration, study, and social interaction
There's also this snippet on Hero-U's combat in one of Lori Cole's tweets:

We've been working on the upcoming combat system for Hero-U. It's a blend of tactical maneuvers and turn-based combat. Should be much fun.​

Then there's also this interview at Mashable:

“It has threads from the Quest for Glory universe, but it’s a very different game,” says Lori. “It won’t look anything like it.”

[...] “Graphically, it’s going to be quite different from Quest for Glory,” says Corey. “The role-playing type adventure will actually be on a 2-D tiled map, [where players can] explore the catacombs and the school itself. It’s a top-down look. You will be doing all of the crucial role-playing type things, like fighting monsters, but our [game] is very tightly scripted, so there’s a purpose any time you go down to those catacombs. Things you’re looking for, things you want to discover, sometimes specific monsters you want to defeat — all these things advance the story line.”

[..] While the game itself will not be multiplayer or social, the Coles hope to engender a vibrant forum during development and after release. “One of our plans is to really build the website into a community. I can’t talk too much about what we’re doing with it, but it will basically track what you’re doing in the game — if you choose to sign up for that feature — and it will allow people to talk about their experiences. It will be the players interacting, as opposed to their characters.”

[...] “At this point, we’re going to try and go for $400,000,” says Corey. “I’m doing some budget exercises right now. We know we can make the game at $450,000, but we’re trying to see if we can do it for $400,000.”

The amount of funding will have a substantial impact on the breadth of the game and its social community, Corey explains. “If we barely make [the original] goal, then we’ll be struggling to even get a game out, but we’ll do it.”​

Naturally, in what has already become a tradition for "oldschool" developers, Corey and Lori Cole are going the Kickstarter route for this game to happen. Stay tuned for further developments. (Holy shit, this is awesome.)

Pope Amole II

Nerd Commando Game Studios
Developer
So what, they have wisely decided to abandon the dumbfuck idea of making a kickstarter for some social game?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
villain of the story Too many turn-based games! :troll:

In all honesty, I was kind of disappointed to learn that these two had wanted to make pure RPGs all along and the whole adventure hybrid thing was just something they were kind of dragged into.

Azalin

Arcane
Patron
Since they got their heads staight and decided to abandon that facebook game I might back this

Aeschylus

Swindler
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Yes, awesome, wonderful, fantastic, stupendous, [superfluous adjective here]! Quest For Glory is one of my favorite series of all time, and from the newest description this looks excellent. I'm happy they (apparently) decided to dump the extraneous multiplayer aspect, though there's some hints in there that it may be alive and kicking. I really hope they do well and get a lot of support.

Mother Russia

Andhaira
Andhaira
Dumbfuck Queued
Codex 2013
This is AWESOME! To think, QFG but TURNBASED! And moar rpg elements, at least ones which matter (one hopes). And less pointless deaths ofcourse.

One thing bugs me though: Thieves guild initiation? WTF? I hate playing thieves, I wanna play a warrior-mage, pure mage, or Paladin!

Irxy

Arcane
Project: Eternity
I still don't quite get the type of game they are willing to make, but I'm dissapointed its not a QfG successor, not so sure I want it.

CrustyBot

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Did not know about this.

Now I know.

Thanks for the news, Bee. The Brazilian Slaughter sends his thanks, too.

:bounce:

No one is making action rpgs anymore, I miss the old days. :(

The genre is losing what made it so special. Instead of having emotionally engaging first or third person visceral action, RPGs are being killed by all these "me too!" developers coming out of the woodwork that aren't interested in creating the fully immersive cinematic experience, they're interested in stupid things like turn based combat, gameplay that doesn't hold your hand too much (which makes things confusing) and graphics that rely on style instead of polygon count.

Call me an old RPG fan whose head is filled with nostalgia, but I miss the days of 2010...

Don Peste

Arcane
Amen to that. Hopefully we'll always have Paris Final Fantasy.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom