Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Information Ars Magica CRPG Kickstarter from Creators of Academagia

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Tags: Ars Magica; Atlas Games; Black Chicken Studios; Kickstarter

Black Chicken Studios, the creators of Academagia (of which we had a review penned by Darth Roxor), have launched a Kickstarter for translating the Ars Magica PnP RPG system, with its emphasis on creative spellcasting and all things arcane, into a turn-based computer RPG: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/blackchickenstudios/ars-magica-video-game

Black Chicken Studios, working under license from Atlas Games, is delighted to present a new simulation role-playing game for the PC. After 25 years and 5 editions, Ars Magica will at long last be paid tribute in a single-player, turn-based video game. Authentic to the original, this is a faithful, beautiful, and accurate depiction of covenant gameplay and the RPG’s legendary magic system during a dangerous century in the Stonehenge Tribunal. With your help, we’ll bring Ars Magica: Years of Conquest and its tapestry of wars, intrigue, invasion and, above all, magic to life! [...]

You’ll create your own character, and then try to survive from the first spring of your covenant to a final, epic winter a century later … and possibly renewal, if that is your destiny. Combat and other forms of conflict are resolved using a unique turn-based system, in which your environment plays a dynamic and critical role. Where you are, and how you interact with your surroundings, is as important as your choice of weapon, or the tactics you emply. Stories, opportunities, armies, and crafty agents of your foes will appear on the world map, and you must decide which challenges to face, and which to allow to go by.

Over the years and decades, the least decision you make may have long-term unforeseen consequences. The bonds of family and friendship will be tested, too, as the years age everyone, new generations arise, and old sins are visited upon sons and daughters.

This is a game of many powers, and the pieces have a mind of their own. [...]

We at Black Chicken Studios have loved Ars Magica since it was first published, but creating a PC version of the core ruleset would normally be beyond the means of an indie … never mind the difficulty in attracting the attention of AAA developers even to a game as unique, historically grounded, and magically flexible this one.

Crowdfunding allows us to bring the project directly to the people who understand it, who want to play it, and who are willing to help create it. There is no more respectful way to create a game than with the aid of its fans.​

More info about Ars Magica here: http://www.atlas-games.com/arm5/

Personally I'm hyped for this one, because I've only heard good things about PnP Ars Magica. I assume the game will be similar to Academagia in presentation, i.e., have a CYOA-like interface with tons of skillchecks and events - because otherwise I don't see how it would be possible to translate Ars Magica's countless spells aimed at environment manipulation (moving mountains anyone?) into the computer medium. That's just my assumption for now, though, but more details should be upcoming in a Codex interview that we're about to do with the devs. Stay tuned.

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Backed, I liked Academagia despite its flaws so I believe they can deliver a good game.

Diablo169

Arcane
I'm not familiar with the setting, it does sound interesting though. From what I can gather it'll be turn based which is always nice, would like to see a bit more about the game mechanics and art style before I'd pledge though.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
One of the best features of Ars Magica were the rules for improvisational magic; I'm wondering whether they will put it in.

Ogg

Prophet
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
Gosh! when will this good kickstarter campaigns stop? I've already sold my car to back Obsidian's game and my apartment for Cleve's indiegogo. What have I got left? Should I really sell my body now? (and by selling my body, I'm not talking about whoring myself of course. Ain't noone that'd be interested. But I think I still have some body parts that have not been too deteriorated by alcohol abuse)

Allanon

Augur
I was very impressed with the Ars Magica rules book when I first read it some 10 years ago. I can't remember much today, but I do recall it was fairly complex. Obviously, the magical system was outstanding. I'm on a fence with this KS - I have never heard of those guys before and judging by their previous games I have hard time imagining them making something worthwhile. On the other hand, I really liked Ars Magica...

Alex_Steel

Arcane
Patron
Ars Magica???

:bounce: to the idea of decently implemented mechanics.

Ah fuck, I'm getting excited about the idea, I know I must not...

Codex, help me! Ruin my dreams before it's too late!

PosledniKovboj

Scholar
Ars Magica???

:bounce: to the idea of decently implemented mechanics.

Ah fuck, I'm getting excited about the idea, I know I must not...

Codex, help me! Ruin my dreams before it's too late!
The video is shit, showing one crappy screenshot and a guy who spends way too much time dying his hair, they apparently know jack shit about making PC games and since they also have jack shit implemented, this will never release.

Does that help? :troll:

Morkar Left

THIS IS THE FINAL PROVE! WE WILL ALLL DIIIIIIIIIIIIIIEEEEEEEEEEEEEE! THEY WERE RIGHT WORLD ENDS THIS YEEARR CLEVE WAS RIGHT GET YOUTR BUNKERS AS LONG AS YPOU CAN ITS OVER OR ITZ COMING THE EEENNDS NEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:point:

PLEDGEING EVERYTHING NOWWWW EVEN IF ITS NOT GONNA MATTER BECAUSSSEE ENDS NEAR WE WILL DIE DIE DIE DIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:takemymoney: :flamesaw::kwanzania:

Morkar Left

Although WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11111

Morkar Left

I'm not familiar with the setting, it does sound interesting though. From what I can gather it'll be turn based which is always nice, would like to see a bit more about the game mechanics and art style before I'd pledge though.

The world is historical dark age except with magicians. But the world logic is created in such a way that it's not getting ridiculous having fireblasting mages around in the historical medieval age. There are four forces basically: magic, fairy magic, faith in god and infernal. Faith in god creates a mundane domain in most villages which restricts the magic of spellcasters. It's a bit more complex though. I recommend to dl somewhere an p&p Ars Magica sourcebook.

Basically this game should be more than interesting for all people who liked the world of Darklands and the King of Dragon Pass gameworld and gamestyle.

And now excuse me.... AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member

The world is historical dark age except with magicians. But the world logic is created in such a way that it's not getting ridiculous having fireblasting mages around in the historical medieval age. There are four forces basically: magic, fairy magic, faith in god and infernal. Faith in god creates a mundane domain in most villages which restricts the magic of spellcasters. It's a bit more complex though. I recommend to dl somewhere an p&p Ars Magica sourcebook.

Basically this game should be more than interesting for all people who liked the world of Darklands and the King of Dragon Pass gameworld and gamestyle.

And now excuse me.... AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It feels like the devs read my review or something :troll:

Gonna watch this unfold. Academagia was sorta fun, despite getting boring in the long run.

Vulcris

Novice
I've played the pnp game for like 10 years and I used to imagine how many différent type of vidéo games one could do with the pnp rules. Let's hope this one succeed to show other developpers the goodness of Ars Magica.

Morkar there is a fifth power in Reason with the rise of the first universities in Europe at the time.

Morkar Left

The Ars Magica gamesystem has a very important aging system and when they implement all corerules it will never get boring because your mage will always have something to do. And that's only regarding to his/her studies and not counting the adventure/interaction parts that happens in and around your covenant.

Vulcris

Novice
Yes. Politics, wether in the Hermetic realm (the magi) or in the mundane realm (nobles, merchants...) are very important and it is totaly possible to play a noncombattant like an old historian, an healer using the arab discoveries in medecine, or another on using the old folks remedies. In its firsts editions, Ars Magica was linked to Mage the ascension from WoD (some of their houses had the same name).

Morkar Left

Because it's well explained I just quote a post from the developers in the kickstarter comments what you can expect from ars magica in a nutshell:

"In your typical Ars Magica game, a significant portion of your campaign is spent doing what is usually behind the scenes in other role-playing games: your mages research, ponder philosophical questions and write and read books; your companions are politicking with nobles, running your estates and/or going abroad for various reasons; and your peasants are living, working and getting into all kinds of trouble on the front lines. What's more, all the people in your Covenant have their own personalities (and usually mages get pretty eccentric), which leads to all kinds of craziness.

This portion, referred to as the 'Long-Term Event' or 'Laboratory' gameplay of Ars Magica, is already set up like a turn-based simulation game in the rpg. So, over the course of the years, you'll be directing all these activities, with some...interesting consequences depending on the personalities involved, and what it is you've decided to do.

The role-playing game is the quests, adventures, judgments and narrative arcs that figure into the overall destiny of the Covenant. In the tabletop game, this is usually when the dice come out, foes are battled, and treasures are won. It's not exactly D&D- in Ars Magica, adventures can range from the consequences of an unsavory deal to problems arising an over-potent brew, and don't necessarily involve dungeons and the like...but you probably get the gist.

Overall, the simulation and the role-playing game experience are probably going to be unlike *anything* you've ever seen or played, if you've never experienced the tabletop game. :)"

Morkar Left

In its firsts editions, Ars Magica was linked to Mage the ascension from WoD (some of their houses had the same name).

As far as I know it was only the 3rd edition and interwoven with the WoD Dark Ages setting, too (and nearly ruining my favourite house Tremere). I'm glad it's separated again but you can still use some WoD things as inspiration for Ars Magica.

Morkar there is a fifth power in Reason with the rise of the first universities in Europe at the time.

New in 5th edition? I only played 2nd and 4th, the only translated to German.

Diablo169

Arcane
I hope they do some more updates talking about the game itself, I love the setting having read some more about it.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Never got into Ars Magica but it has a special place in my heart for inspiring Mage the Ascension. :love:

Will keep an eye on this one.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom