Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review Dishonored: A Taffing Codexian Review

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Tags: Arkane Studios; Bethesda Softworks; Dishonored

While it's technically not an RPG, I've written a review for it anyway. Read all about being invisible while leaning and levels that look like rectangles here!

Overall, the AI seemed a bit more aware to me than it was in Thief, but it's roughly the same in capabilities: it can see and hear the player, but it doesn't react to any environmental manipulations. Some Thief Fan Missions and The Dark Mod have an AI capable of noticing open doors or switched off light sources, so it's slightly disappointing to see that Dishonored doesn't incorporate any such more advanced AI behaviours. One positive surprise the AI gave me was that sometimes, guards would notice that a comrade is missing and would take over his patrol route, if it was a more important route than the one they currently had. In one of the later levels, I took out a guard who held a position that overlooked the entire area, only to see another guard take his place a few minutes later. One slightly silly feature of this game’s stealth system, however, is that you cannot be seen when leaning as long as your body is behind cover. So you can stand at a corner, lean to your right to check out the hallway – and nobody will detect you even if you lean right into somebody’s face.

The levels are not only very vertical, they are also pretty open. There are always two or more ways to approach your objectives, and there’s ample opportunity for exploration. However, some of the levels do feel slightly linear despite being open and offering multiple paths to your goal. It is most apparent in the mission where you have to kidnap the Royal Physician Sokolov: you need to cross Kaldwin’s Bridge in order to get to his residence, and, due to it being a bridge, it is rather linear. It does offer you several paths to cross it, but they’re all more or less parallel. It’s similar in most missions: the levels are usually roughly rectangular and you start at one end of the rectangle, while your target is at the other end. The levels are very open, yet there’s still a pretty set path. It’s hard to describe, but I think the rectangle analogy fits very well here.

P.S.: I forgot/was too lazy to take screenshots myself. Thanks to Multi-headed Cow and Raghar, who have contributed the screens I used for this review!

Read the full article: Dishonored: A Taffing Review

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Whenever someone on the Codex makes fun of you for liking shit games you spam the link to this review until he remembers where he is.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Nazi said:
Dishonored, the new first person stealth/action game by Arkane, famous for their Ultima Underworld clone Arx Fatalis and their kicking-simulator Dark Messiah of Might and Magic, is by no means an RPG
Nazi said:
But our beloved little Crooked Bee considers it enough of one to be worthy of a Codex review
1237318-ZXXEY9S.jpg

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Thief/Deus Ex-like games seem to have gained an "honorary RPG" status over the years.

Captain Shrek

Turns out that Codex is now popamole.

*Race Traitor*

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Thief/Deus Ex-like games seem to have gained an "honorary RPG" status over the years.

Have they?

No, they fucking haven't. I remember the last Thief thread, some guy got ridiculed for calling Thief an rpg, and for good goddamn reason. "Deus Ex-like games" are the ones dubbed as honorary RPGs because they are shooters with stats - Desu Ex, System Shock 2, etc.

Just because something is a sneaker game with many approaches doesn't make it an honorary fucking rpg YOU LARPER STORYFAG CUNTS HOPE YOU LIKE YER C&C UP YOUR ARSES FFSSADFAHSGFAGGHJADG

LundB

Mistakes were made.
Nazi said:
But our beloved little Crooked Bee considers it enough of one to be worthy of a Codex review

Not so beloved, if this is the sort of thing Codex does thanks to her influence.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Yeah, it's not an RPG. I've actually stated that fact in the very first sentence of my review.

Now, can we stop yelling about how it's not an RPG and start actually discussing the review/game?

Hoaxmetal

Arcane
Nobody cares about Dishonored, let's discuss how women are ruining Codex.

Well I don't know about that, but you've certainly gained an "honorary Retard" status over a single post.

godsend1989

Scholar
Divinity: Original Sin
Yeah, it's not an RPG. I've actually stated that fact in the very first sentence of my review.

Now, can we stop yelling about how it's not and RPG and start actually discussing the review/game?

There is a lack of RPG games lately so we discuss every type of game gets released, i start with FIFA 2013 i think Messi nose is bigger then in FIFA 2012, discuss.

suejak

Arbiter
Patron
Village Idiot
Yeah, it's not really an RPG! But this isn't really an RPG website either, so no big. :codexisfor:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
As usual, Codex cannot into nuance.

Just because something is a sneaker game with many approaches doesn't make it an honorary fucking rpg YOU LARPER STORYFAG CUNTS HOPE YOU LIKE YER C&C UP YOUR ARSES FFSSADFAHSGFAGGHJADG

No, Thief-like games are obviously not RPGs, but they do seem to have attained "honorary RPG" status (notice the quotes) in terms of the prestige and admiration they get from typical RPG fans.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
It's not an RPG, but it does have "honorary RPG" status (notice the quotes) in terms of prestige and admiration from typical RPG fans.

The Monkey Island games, among others, are also p. good honorary rpgs then.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
The Monkey Island games, among others, are also p. good honorary rpgs then.

Arguably, yes. Adventure games are also quite popular here and there have been recent news posts about them also. But I don't think they possess quite as many features that appeal to RPG fans as Thief-likes do.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom