Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Editorial The New Age: Reflections on the 'Dragon Age' Series

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: BioWare; Dragon Age; Dragon Age 2

While the New Shit gets newer, Dragon Age and Dragon Age 2 are now old-school enough for retrospective articles. That's why Popmatters did one.
Every location visited, every sidequest undertaken, and every conversation carried out would somehow inch the Warden closer to her unambiguous goal. Still, even with the Blight’s inevitable end, there was an overarching sense that the world of Thedas was going through a permanent change. Everything the warden went through would have an impact on the world even after the Blight ended. Where Lord of the Rings ends with a new age ruled by the rightful king, Ferelden would bear the scars of the Blight forever. Origin’s journey was wide in scope and the consequences of victory were unpredictable and far reaching. There never seemed to be a “right” way to play it. Bioware’s other major release of the decade, Mass Effect, always gave the player a way out. Until the third and final game, the player almost always got what they wanted and Sheperd was always given a chance to be the uncompromising hero or the lone gunslinger willing to do the right thing no matter the cost. There is a romance to Mass Effect that doesn’t exist in its fantasy counterpart. Dragon Age was infinitely murkier, and the Warden never rose all the way to heroism or stooped all the way to villainy to stop the Blight.

The morality system of Dragon Age was probably the best of any Bioware game to that point. Instead of building points in either a paladin or badass category, the warden had to earn the admiration of each individual teammate. The warden had to learn the moral and philosophical code that each of her companions lived by and act—whether genuinely or not—according to each ally’s relative morality. The warden could agree with an ally’s outlook, defy it, try to change it, or ignore it, but she was always being judged by the fallible people closest to her, not by a cold and objective “light/dark” side. If a friend had a problem with the warden, she could prevaricate to earn their cooperation or insult their sensibilities and hope that they would get over it later on. This forced the player to create a character based not on what they thought the good guy or bad guy would do but based on how the game’s cast might react. And the widely different personalities of the varied characters ensured that somebody would always eventually take issue with the Warden.

Instead of building points in either a paladin or badass category, the warden had to earn the admiration of each individual teammate. - with gifts, fucking ingenious. Best morality system, like, ever.

Stinger

Arcane
Can I do a retrospective on Modern Warfare 3?

That game is such a classic, old school shooter.

CrustyBot

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Is this one of those articles in which the author tries to justify their love of popamole to the point that they attribute way too much depth and deliberate thought into what is essentially pulp shlock (pulpamole)?

Like those Avatards who praise the movie for being DEEP. Or the people who delude themselves into thinking games like Gears of War and Call of Duty have good stories.

(yes they are out there, and more numerous than you'd hope/expect.)

Cynic

Arcane
I am pretty fucking ripped right now and that headline made me fucking laugh so hard

:bro:

Mother Russia

Andhaira
Andhaira
Dumbfuck Queued
Codex 2013
'unambiguous goal'

This is like that thing Dicksmoker was talking about

The Bishop

Cipher
Instead of building points in either a paladin or badass category, the warden had to earn the admiration of each individual teammate. - with gifts, fucking ingenious. Best morality system, like, ever.
With all that free swag and lunches from the publishers, isn't it exactly the moral system most game journalists live by? That's realism for you, right there.

Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
The morality system of Dragon Age was probably the best of any Bioware game to that point.

This might actually be true. Sure it was total shit, but every preceding moral system was even shittier. Although it was kind of amusing on a conceptual level that you could get someone to have sex with you by giving them a hundred pairs of rotten pantaloons.

Actually, if it weren't for the stupid gifts mini-game, and if you were gaining influence with characters who weren't terrible, it might actually have been a promising system.

kris

Arcane
The morality system of Dragon Age was probably the best of any Bioware game to that point.

This might actually be true. Sure it was total shit, but every preceding moral system was even shittier. Although it was kind of amusing on a conceptual level that you could get someone to have sex with you by giving them a hundred pairs of rotten pantaloons.

Actually, if it weren't for the stupid gifts mini-game, and if you were gaining influence with characters who weren't terrible, it might actually have been a promising system.

But you just didn't say anything, except possibly just shitting on their earlier systems without motivating it.

In fact, this system wasn't actually a moral system, it was a influence system.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Yeah and influence systems go back to at least KOTOR 2, so it's not even anything new.

waywardOne

Arcane
I can't wait for the review from the next site called shitisimportant.com.

4too

Arcane
Win Friends And Influence AI

WeierstraB said:
Influence systems go way back to The Sims.

And,

Shogun (1986) for C-64 and DOS, by Mastertronic.

DOS was CGA with farting audio. C-64 had it's color palette and effective ambient sound now and then.

shogun_08.gif

Combat or gifts to influence the bouncy little sprites. Figured out what didn't need and used surplus to buy love.

Don't remember much more, except had to hang on to the Shogun artifacts, not store them,

Near end of game time limit, game would move your stash!

Had to go race around looking for what wasn't already in inventory.

Even killing your 'allies' if you thought they had the required artifact!

All on an 8-bit floppy.

4too

Ffordesoon

Novice
I like Bioware's games, and that site still makes me want to stick my head in an oven. :what:

But you just didn't say anything, except possibly just shitting on their earlier systems without motivating it.

It wasn't unintentional, more incidental to my point. I didn't like their earlier systems or DA:O's, but I thought DA:O's could have been interesting if it hadn't been so easy to game. And if it hadn't been used primarily for the loyalty/romance quests.

Not sure I understand the purpose of distinguishing between moral and influence systems. Both have similar results on NPC reactions; if you do nice things "good" people will like you and if you twirl your mustache "evil" people will respect you. The only difference is that the game judges you for your choices. Alignment systems in D&Desque universes where good and evil have metaphysical qualities are slightly different in that they add extra effects, but they don't fundamentally alter the NPC reaction dynamic.

I think a more substantial difference is between faction and individual influence, as they require you to consider the results of your actions in different ways. Actually I think you could make an argument that alignment is kind of like a faction reputation on the cosmic scale.

Yeah and influence systems go back to at least KOTOR 2, so it's not even anything new.

Shit, the cats out of the bag. I never played KOTOR II :oops:

But even if its derivative, it was still an improvement for Bioware, amirite?

kris

Arcane

Not sure I understand the purpose of distinguishing between moral and influence systems. Both have similar results on NPC reactions; if you do nice things "good" people will like you and if you twirl your mustache "evil" people will respect you. The only difference is that the game judges you for your choices. Alignment systems in D&Desque universes where good and evil have metaphysical qualities are slightly different in that they add extra effects, but they don't fundamentally alter the NPC reaction dynamic.

I think a more substantial difference is between faction and individual influence, as they require you to consider the results of your actions in different ways. Actually I think you could make an argument that alignment is kind of like a faction reputation on the cosmic scale.

moral system is one that track your actions towards NPCs and the enviroment. A influence system tracks your actions towards your companion. (even if there can be overalpping)

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Those article makes me wonder why I even liked Bioware games in the past... got it nobody then pretended they were tools of LGBT liberation or philosophical herp derp thesis on XXI librul morality in pseudo medieval/Futuristic worlds.

Lord Andre

Arcane
"Release the DA3 hype machine. Our bullshit will blot out the sun !"
"Then we will vomit...in the shade" vomit
cue epic music

I still remember when they compared Sokrates to Dragon Age 2.

Sophocles, as in Hawke's personal story was like Sophocles.

Kotaku are the worst.
Ugh. There aren't enough gifs in the world to express the appropriate level of contempt for that comparison.

It's funny how the harder you try to "prove" a game is art, the stupider you make it look.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom