Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Development Info Project Eternity Kickstarter Update #32: Meet the Devs - Steve Weatherly

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Tags: Obsidian Entertainment; Pillars of Eternity

Obsidian Entertainment has posted a Q&A with Steve Weatherly, a programmer on Project Eternity.
Here's a couple of the questions they asked Steve:

Q: Steve, can you tell us what you do on Project Eternity?

A: I'm a gameplay programmer primarily responsible for making combat happen. What that means is that I look at what Josh and Tim design for the game, and tell them it can never be done. After that, they tell me it has to get done, so then I figure out a way to make it happen. I spend most of my day writing code, either for AI (to make the enemies act like they know what they're doing), or the underlying code that makes characters fight and take damage, etc. I'm also our chief Reddit ambassador, which I sort of fell into but it has been a lot of fun.

Q: What are you currently working on today?

A: Today I'm actually working on building our equipment system. When I'm done, designers will be able to take a weapon that an artist models and drag it onto a character. The character will then hold it in their hand, swing it, and cause damage to their enemies. My weapon of choice is currently the flail, which Unity made surprisingly easy to create.

Adam encourages you to further waste Steve's time by going here and ask him anything that's on your mind.

Adam also promises that from now on we'll be getting an update every Tuesday. Until the end of time.

Gurkog

Erudite
Project: Eternity
Steve is the greatest.
Give us an anecdote!

Q: Who's your favorite programmer?

A:
Well, I would say Adam Brennecke, but he's a producer now and is dead to me. So it's going to have to be Tim Cain. I definitely envy his ability to design, code, and bake well. He's a triple threat and that's also earned him a spot on my list of most job threatening co-workers. Fortunately I know his weakness...

Anthony Davis

Blizzard Entertainment
Developer
Steve is the greatest.
Give us an anecdote!

Q: Who's your favorite programmer?

A:
Well, I would say Adam Brennecke, but he's a producer now and is dead to me. So it's going to have to be Tim Cain. I definitely envy his ability to design, code, and bake well. He's a triple threat and that's also earned him a spot on my list of most job threatening co-workers. Fortunately I know his weakness...

I knew that Jabby was filling the lead or project director role along with Josh, but I assumed he was still programming. To learn that he is now a producer is hilarious. I'm sure he is good at it, but it reminds me of the movie 'The Untouchables' where Kevin Costner delivers that ridiculous line, "I have become what I have beheld and I am content I have done right." Or something like that. Programmers and Producers frequently do not get along well.

I was one of the interviewers for Steve when he applied and he was really impressive. Actually everyone recognized that he was pretty great and his hiring was a real boon for Obsidian, both from a technical/engineering and personality perspective/company culture perspective. He is a great team player and he works real hard. He does have the soul of a cranky old man sometimes and it's pretty funny to get that cranky old man worked up. Watch, I'll do it right now.

His favorite invention he worked on is what he calls the 'Combat Spider' - and it was used in DS3. Steve used to go on an on about the Combat Spider. Combat Spider. Combat Spider. Combat Spider. Combat Spider. Combat Spider. Combat Spider. Combat Spider. Combat Spider. Combat Spider. Combat Spider. Combat Spider. Combat Spider. Combat Spider. Combat Spider. Combat Spider. Combat Spider. Combat Spider. Combat Spider. Combat Spider. Combat Spider. Combat Spider. Combat Spider. Combat Spider. Combat Spider. Combat Spider. Combat Spider. Combat Spider. Combat Spider. Combat Spider. Combat Spider. Combat Spider. Combat Spider. Combat Spider. Combat Spider. Combat Spider. Combat Spider. Combat Spider. Combat Spider. Combat Spider. Combat Spider. Combat Spider. Combat Spider. Combat Spider.

Actually he hates the term Combat Spider with a hot burning passion, but I know that he will read this and it will push his buttons. LOL.

Ah Steve, I hope things are going well for you and you should keep the beard.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
At this point they're just playing with the Codex Avellone cult.

And I like it.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
It's funny to see him talk so much about AI now when he initially made that reddit post about how AI in Dullsville won't be all that important.
I definitely envy his ability to design, code, and bake well. He's a triple threat and that's also earned him a spot on my list of most job threatening co-workers. Fortunately I know his weakness...
Bears and bear claws?
That's easy, my favorite game of all time is Baldur's Gate. It was the first RPG I played and the first time I felt like I was in another world that I could explore.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Hey Roguey, I herd Josh doesn't like it when you call his game "Dullsville"

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
That's not what the notes in his dumpster say.
11975.jpg

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Where'dja hear that? I'm just repeating what he said in his own words.
http://www.formspring.me/JESawyer/q/1159998032
"If the premise is that it's a traditional fantasy setting TURNED ON ITS HEAD / WITH EDGE!! then you've just booked a one-way ticked to Dullsville."

Not quite. I'm sure Josh Sawyer thinks his game has more of a premise than that.

Josh Sawyer said:
Finally, I'd say that the setting is just that: a place where things happen. A compelling story within that setting is necessary for the player to retain long term interest in what's happening outside of the moment to moment game play.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Not quite. I'm sure Josh Sawyer thinks his game has more of a premise than that.
Well I don't.

Josh Sawyer said:
Finally, I'd say that the setting is just that: a place where things happen. A compelling story within that setting is necessary for the player to retain long term interest in what's happening outside of the moment to moment game play.
I'm reasonably confident it'll be a decent story that unfortunately takes place in bsb Western Europelandia because of the market appeal and justifiable aversion to risk.

evdk

Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I'm reasonably confident it'll be a decent story that unfortunately takes place in bsb Western Europelandia because of the market appeal and justifiable aversion to risk.

Since people who complain about Western Europelandia the loudest usually make the biggest stink about cultural appropriation when a game is set anyplace different I don't see what setting you would like him to use.

LeStryfe79

President Spartacus
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Well I don't.

Josh Sawyer said:
Yeah, good luck finding a quality medieval fantasy setting that doesn't take place in Europelandia. I've never seen one. Got any good ideas? I'm all ears you stupid bitch. :)

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite

Since people who complain about Western Europelandia the loudest usually make the biggest stink about cultural appropriation when a game is set anyplace different I don't see what setting you would like him to use.
Write whatcha know. An urban fantasy or sci-fi game that takes place in southern California and/or any nearby areas would be nice. If it must resemble medieval fantasy in any way I'd prefer it have nothing in common with anything by Tolkien or anyone inspired by him.

evdk

Patron
When you mention urban fantasy, are we talking "New Crobuzon" fantasy set mostly in a city or "I'm a half succubus and my life sucks" contemporary paranormal romance novels? Because I have seen the term used to describe both.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
When you mention urban fantasy, are we talking "New Crobuzon" fantasy set mostly in a city or "I'm a half succubus and my life sucks" contemporary paranormal romance novels? Because I have seen the term used to describe both.
Both. But with the latter, I was thinking more like World of Darkness (which Obsidian could have possibly maybe done if not for fucking CCP) or that "Hidden" pitch Avellone came up with (fucking publishers).

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
Don't you think MCA will try to go for it if this "safer" game ends up a success, though?

evdk

Patron
They have already mentioned that if PE is a success they would like to use the money to self publish PE2. Another KS for MCA's mystery game is a possibility, but I don't think they actaully have enough manpower for 2 simultaneous self funded games being developed.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
It depends on how much they make from Dullsville. If they get large multi-million profits, it's sensible enough for them to have two 20-30 person teams devoted to crpgs while one 50-60 perso team works on whatever console thing they have going on.

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
Did they really specifically say "We're going to do PE2 right away with this money if successful"? I thought it was more along the lines of "Shit yeah we'll do a part two if this is successful, why wouldn't we?"

hiver

Combat spiders with beards?

huh? huh? cmonn... lets make it happen.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
It's funny to see him talk so much about AI now when he initially made that reddit post about how AI in Dullsville won't be all that important.
I definitely envy his ability to design, code, and bake well. He's a triple threat and that's also earned him a spot on my list of most job threatening co-workers. Fortunately I know his weakness...
Bears and bear claws?
That's easy, my favorite game of all time is Baldur's Gate. It was the first RPG I played and the first time I felt like I was in another world that I could explore.
IIRC, he said it doesn't have to complex, not that it doesn't matter.

And he's right, IE style games don't need complex AI.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom