Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Development Info Project Eternity Kickstarter Update #32: Meet the Devs - Steve Weatherly

Discussion in 'News & Content Feedback' started by Zed, Nov 21, 2012.

1. Zed Codex Staff Patron

Zed
    Codex USB, 2014
    Tags: Obsidian Entertainment; Pillars of Eternity

Obsidian Entertainment has posted a Q&A with Steve Weatherly, a programmer on Project Eternity.
    Here's a couple of the questions they asked Steve:

Q: Steve, can you tell us what you do on Project Eternity?

A: I'm a gameplay programmer primarily responsible for making combat happen. What that means is that I look at what Josh and Tim design for the game, and tell them it can never be done. After that, they tell me it has to get done, so then I figure out a way to make it happen. I spend most of my day writing code, either for AI (to make the enemies act like they know what they're doing), or the underlying code that makes characters fight and take damage, etc. I'm also our chief Reddit ambassador, which I sort of fell into but it has been a lot of fun.

Q: What are you currently working on today?

A: Today I'm actually working on building our equipment system. When I'm done, designers will be able to take a weapon that an artist models and drag it onto a character. The character will then hold it in their hand, swing it, and cause damage to their enemies. My weapon of choice is currently the flail, which Unity made surprisingly easy to create.

Adam encourages you to further waste Steve's time by going here and ask him anything that's on your mind.

Adam also promises that from now on we'll be getting an update every Tuesday. Until the end of time.

• Brofist Brofist x 6
    ^ Top  
  2. Anthony Davis Blizzard Entertainment Developer

Anthony Davis
    Steve is the greatest.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Zed Codex Staff Patron

Zed
    Codex USB, 2014
    Give us an anecdote!

^ Top  
  4. Gurkog Erudite

Gurkog
    Project: Eternity

Q: Who's your favorite programmer?

A:
    Well, I would say Adam Brennecke, but he's a producer now and is dead to me. So it's going to have to be Tim Cain. I definitely envy his ability to design, code, and bake well. He's a triple threat and that's also earned him a spot on my list of most job threatening co-workers. Fortunately I know his weakness...

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  5. Anthony Davis Blizzard Entertainment Developer

Anthony Davis
    I knew that Jabby was filling the lead or project director role along with Josh, but I assumed he was still programming. To learn that he is now a producer is hilarious. I'm sure he is good at it, but it reminds me of the movie 'The Untouchables' where Kevin Costner delivers that ridiculous line, "I have become what I have beheld and I am content I have done right." Or something like that. Programmers and Producers frequently do not get along well.

I was one of the interviewers for Steve when he applied and he was really impressive. Actually everyone recognized that he was pretty great and his hiring was a real boon for Obsidian, both from a technical/engineering and personality perspective/company culture perspective. He is a great team player and he works real hard. He does have the soul of a cranky old man sometimes and it's pretty funny to get that cranky old man worked up. Watch, I'll do it right now.

His favorite invention he worked on is what he calls the 'Combat Spider' - and it was used in DS3. Steve used to go on an on about the Combat Spider. Combat Spider. Combat Spider. Combat Spider. Combat Spider. Combat Spider. Combat Spider. Combat Spider. Combat Spider. Combat Spider. Combat Spider. Combat Spider. Combat Spider. Combat Spider. Combat Spider. Combat Spider. Combat Spider. Combat Spider. Combat Spider. Combat Spider. Combat Spider. Combat Spider. Combat Spider. Combat Spider. Combat Spider. Combat Spider. Combat Spider. Combat Spider. Combat Spider. Combat Spider. Combat Spider. Combat Spider. Combat Spider. Combat Spider. Combat Spider. Combat Spider. Combat Spider. Combat Spider. Combat Spider. Combat Spider. Combat Spider. Combat Spider. Combat Spider. Combat Spider.

Actually he hates the term Combat Spider with a hot burning passion, but I know that he will read this and it will push his buttons. LOL.

Ah Steve, I hope things are going well for you and you should keep the beard.

• Brofist Brofist x 10
    ^ Top  
  6. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker

:mca:

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    ^ Top  
  7. Jasede Prestigious Gentleman Arcane Patron Sad Loser

Jasede
    At this point they're just playing with the Codex Avellone cult.

And I like it.

• Brofist Brofist x 5
    ^ Top  
  8. Roguey Codex Staff Sawyerite

Roguey
    It's funny to see him talk so much about AI now when he initially made that reddit post about how AI in Dullsville won't be all that important.
    Bears and bear claws?

^ Top  
  9. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Hey Roguey, I herd Josh doesn't like it when you call his game "Dullsville"

^ Top  
  10. evdk comrade troglodyte :M Patron

evdk
    Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
    That's not what the notes in his dumpster say.
    [​IMG]

^ Top  
  11. Roguey Codex Staff Sawyerite

Roguey
    Where'dja hear that? I'm just repeating what he said in his own words.
    http://www.formspring.me/JESawyer/q/1159998032
    "If the premise is that it's a traditional fantasy setting TURNED ON ITS HEAD / WITH EDGE!! then you've just booked a one-way ticked to Dullsville."

^ Top  
  12. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Not quite. I'm sure Josh Sawyer thinks his game has more of a premise than that.

^ Top  
  13. LeStryfe79 President Spartacus Patron

LeStryfe79
    Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    [​IMG]

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  14. Roguey Codex Staff Sawyerite

Roguey
    Well I don't.

I'm reasonably confident it'll be a decent story that unfortunately takes place in bsb Western Europelandia because of the market appeal and justifiable aversion to risk.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. evdk comrade troglodyte :M Patron

evdk
    Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
    Since people who complain about Western Europelandia the loudest usually make the biggest stink about cultural appropriation when a game is set anyplace different I don't see what setting you would like him to use.

• Brofist Brofist x 5
    ^ Top  
  16. LeStryfe79 President Spartacus Patron

LeStryfe79
    Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    Yeah, good luck finding a quality medieval fantasy setting that doesn't take place in Europelandia. I've never seen one. Got any good ideas? I'm all ears you stupid bitch. :)

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Roguey Codex Staff Sawyerite

Roguey
    Write whatcha know. An urban fantasy or sci-fi game that takes place in southern California and/or any nearby areas would be nice. If it must resemble medieval fantasy in any way I'd prefer it have nothing in common with anything by Tolkien or anyone inspired by him.

^ Top  
  18. evdk comrade troglodyte :M Patron

evdk
    When you mention urban fantasy, are we talking "New Crobuzon" fantasy set mostly in a city or "I'm a half succubus and my life sucks" contemporary paranormal romance novels? Because I have seen the term used to describe both.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Roguey Codex Staff Sawyerite

Roguey
    Both. But with the latter, I was thinking more like World of Darkness (which Obsidian could have possibly maybe done if not for fucking CCP) or that "Hidden" pitch Avellone came up with (fucking publishers).

^ Top  
  20. TwinkieGorilla does a good job. Patron

TwinkieGorilla
    Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Don't you think MCA will try to go for it if this "safer" game ends up a success, though?

^ Top  
  21. evdk comrade troglodyte :M Patron

evdk
    They have already mentioned that if PE is a success they would like to use the money to self publish PE2. Another KS for MCA's mystery game is a possibility, but I don't think they actaully have enough manpower for 2 simultaneous self funded games being developed.

^ Top  
  22. Roguey Codex Staff Sawyerite

Roguey
    It depends on how much they make from Dullsville. If they get large multi-million profits, it's sensible enough for them to have two 20-30 person teams devoted to crpgs while one 50-60 perso team works on whatever console thing they have going on.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. TwinkieGorilla does a good job. Patron

TwinkieGorilla
    Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Did they really specifically say "We're going to do PE2 right away with this money if successful"? I thought it was more along the lines of "Shit yeah we'll do a part two if this is successful, why wouldn't we?"

^ Top  
  24. hiver Guest

hiver
    Combat spiders with beards?

huh? huh? cmonn... lets make it happen.

^ Top  
  25. tuluse Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

tuluse
    Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    IIRC, he said it doesn't have to complex, not that it doesn't matter.

And he's right, IE style games don't need complex AI.

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.