Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News The Age of Decadence Christmas Update

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Tags: Age of Decadence; Iron Tower Studios; Vault Dweller

Iron Tower's Vince D. Weller has posted another monthly development update for the turn-based single player RPG The Age of Decadence (which is, as it is my duty to remind you, on Steam Greenlight in case you haven't yet upvoted it there).

Well, it's been a busy year. We've finally released the fully playable demo (after all these years), discovered that it's not what most people wanted and that it's exactly what 545 people wanted, and then tweaked it a few times. While the game is not a dream come true, it's not half bad and that's something.

The last release was very well received, so it does look like we're on the right track and we'd like to thank everyone for helping and supporting us - from people who spent so much time testing the demo to people who were open-minded enough to download the demo and give it a try, and, of course to those who pre-ordered the game to show their support. Thanks, guys.

Other than tweaking the game systems, we did a lot of work on the rest of the game as well, improving it, evolving it, and applying what we learned from the demo release, so the game is shaping up to be better and better. I know that these words can sound hollow, but it's true nonetheless. I wish I could explain what we changed, how, and why, but I can't do it without spoiling the rest of the game significantly.

The Abyss was the last Maadoran area to be tweaked. Those who played the demo know what it was supposed to be originally - a destroyed area of the city. Its original purpose was merely to illustrate the nature of magic (i.e. THIS is what it does when applied liberally) and to give the player a chance to gain a few artefacts, provided he/she has the skills. Then I had an idea... Now, sometimes good ideas come right away and sometimes they don't, coming only after months or even years of staring at something thinking that it can be more, but the trick is that it has to fit everything else, almost like the last piece of the puzzle, so it takes a while to find the perfect fit. After all, what the hell can you find at the bottom of a crater? But then it hit me and it was beautiful (in a fucked up way) and I wrote ten pages worth of text, showed it to Gareth who loved it and had a strong opinion that there should be a lot more and was kind enough to offer his help.

So, can't tell you more than that, but take my word for it, it's quite something. So, that's about it. We tinker with the game one day at a time and so far it looks like it will be released next year. We have several good announcements to make and I'm sure that many people (well, 545 at least) will be pleasantly surprised, but we do appreciate the patronage and would surely like to show our appreciation with more than mere words.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!​

The update also includes some new screenshots; check them out by going to the game's official forums. You can also download the latest revision of the demo here.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
VD, why don't you have a blog feed for these updates or something? Expecting us to actually check your forum periodically, how quaint. :eek:

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Hurr dats cuz mainstream faggots don't understand the true underground genius of VD

No, it's because the target audience for this:

worst+FoD+cover.jpg

has moved on.

MetalCraze

Arcane
It's no one's fault Forest of Doom features teleporting into ambushes, "fuck" in place of commas, dialogues that just skip whole chunks of a game instead of offering alternative paths and a combat where you must spend a minute waiting after you swinged your sword once even though it's not a party RPG and that's the whole depth of it.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Then we can get it on steam sale 2015

suejak

Arbiter
Patron
Village Idiot
Whether you think Vault Dweller is a crackpot and his awkward game is bad is a matter of your IQ (and maybe tastes), but it's hard not to buy something that has so much of a man's soul in it.

2013 really is, appropriately, the year of the CRPG renaissance. Hope this game makes it to the water chip in time.

Alex

Arcane
Hurr dats cuz mainstream faggots don't understand the true underground genius of VD

No, it's because the target audience for this:

worst+FoD+cover.jpg

has moved on.

I beg to disagree. I was actually holding a FF book while reading your post. That said, I won't vote because I don't really see the point of "buying" single player games on Steam. I would much rather see people stop getting limited rights for the stuff they paid money for. Still, if this means that AoD will make more money, I guess it is a good consolation prize.

ColCol

Arcane
God, the way some codexers act you would think AOD murdered their mother and raped their father . Regardless, I'm looking forward to it. :takemymoney:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Whether you think Vault Dweller is a crackpot and his awkward game is bad is a matter of your IQ (and maybe tastes), but it's hard not to buy something that has so much of a man's soul in it.
A lot of bad artists put their soul into their work; I'm still going to crush them mercilessly.

EG

Nullified
A lot of bad artists put their soul into their work; I'm still going to crush them mercilessly.

Could even sell the resulting mash as official Codex snake oil.

mbpopolano24

Arbiter

2013 really is, appropriately, the year of the CRPG renaissance. Hope this game makes it to the water chip in time.

Sure. Your IQ is already evident by virtue of your post. The soul of a middle-aged, disgradced, delusional man? No Thanks.

mbpopolano24

Arbiter
God, the way some codexers act you would think AOD murdered their mother and raped their father . Regardless, I'm looking forward to it.

Sure. And not because of the game per se, which may or may not be turn out to be a good one (if ever, mostly will be just irrelevant). It is because VD and some of his 'Followers' shit all over us. Which in itself would be still OK - but then keeping begging for the approval of a-cerebral masses (in their view). Case in point: in response to the criticism that combat was too obtuse, boring, and difficult, some of the Followers proposed to let people play at a lower difficult setting BUT with constant reminders of how stupid they were to play at the 'popamole' level. What a gem! Because people love to be insulted for paying for your product. So this fucking car not only has no doors, you cannot control the speed, or adjust any of the settings to accommodate your needs, BUT even will insult you for any turns you make at less than optimal speed. Priceless... :)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom