Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

People News The Decline of Origin Systems, as seen through the eyes of artist Denis Loubet

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Origin Systems; Ultima

One of the iconic figures of Origin Systems, developers of the Ultima series and countless other famous games, was the artist Denis Loubet. Denis was responsible for much of the artwork of Origin's games, going back to the box art of 1979's Akalabeth, and all the way up to Ultima IX: Ascension's admittedly impressive introduction movie.

Last month, the Ultima Codex reported that Denis was launching a new initiative, Drawmycharacter. Drawmycharacter will be "your one-stop site to get your RPG character, or anything you can imagine, drawn by hand-picked professional artists". It hasn't actually launched yet, and apparently a Kickstarter fundraiser may be in the cards.

But that's not what this newspost is about. Denis Loubet has been telling the world the story of his career on Drawmycharacter's Facebook page, and there are some interesting details to be gleaned there. Since this is the RPG Codex, I'll quote his post about the decline of Origin and the end of his long tenure there in 1997.

Later Origin was not as fun for me. The company filled several floors of office building, and the different projects were totally insulated from each other. You could no longer know everything that was going on because everyone was in one tight clique or another and jealously guarded their turf. We still had fun, and I even got a trip to Jamaica out of the Ultima project group. When EA bought the company we knew our days were numbered. So I took advantage of the EA sabbatical policy and went on a trip around the world! That was cool! :) I visited EA sites in Japan, Australia, England, and Canada, on my trip. I'd do it again in a heartbeat!​

But the advancement structure was not for me. The only way I could advance at Origin was to go into management, and I hated that idea. At this point I was just another artist. I had not been invited to work on Wing Commander III, and felt unappreciated. So when Ellen and Stephan Beeman invited me to join them at Illusion Machines Inc, I jumped at the chance to be a big fish in a small pond again.​

This negative opinion of Origin in its later years has also been shared by other former employees, such as designer Harvey Smith and writer Sheri Graner Ray. These comments by Kenneth Kully of the Ultima Codex are particularly instructive:

What’s interesting about the above is that the decline that Loubet perceived at Origin predated the EA buyout, and I would think it roughly corresponded with the company hitting its zenith during the production of games like Ultima 7 and (as Loubet mentions) Wing Commander 3.​

(I’ve been told by a few people that it was highly unusual for teams working on different projects at Origin Systems to closely associate both at or outside of work; the marriage of someone from the Ultima team to someone from the Wing Commander team was almost viewed as a Romeo and Juliet story.)​

Insane stuff. It seems to me that the people at Origin gradually became so obsessed with living up to their slogan "We Create Worlds" that they forgot that their actual job was to create games.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I guess every company that becomes too large for its own purpose has to decline in time. I wonder if Larian and CD Project end up in a similar fashion sometime in the future.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
No need to worry about that Larian is sure to be out of business in a few months /roguey'd

Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
I guess every company that becomes too large for its own purpose has to decline in time. I wonder if Larian and CD Project end up in a similar fashion sometime in the future.

It is interesting. The whole you're growing or you're dying mentality seems to lead smaller companies to either flameout or get aquired (and then flameout, or get subsumed into the parent entity). Of course the other issue is that when the company is very dependent on the personality of the founder(s), when they get sick of the grind and want to cash-out, it could cause the same problem regardless of the size.

@someone_more_knowledgeable_than_me - What are the longest operating studios that have some kind of continuity (as in people leave and get replaced, but not all at once) and maintain their identity?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
What are the longest operating studios that have some kind of continuity (as in people leave and get replaced, but not all at once) and maintain their identity?

Hah, you know that's a difficult question, because not everybody will agree whether a particular company has in fact "maintained their identity". I think people can agree that some companies have maintained their identity to a greater degree than other companies, though.

Infinitron - Yeah, that's a bit of a loaded question. Maybe I should narrow that to has autonomy (i.e. is not a just division of a larger company) and is still making roughly the same kind of games. They could still be part of the decline, but as long as they haven't shifted over to facebook/mobile I'd let them slide.

I'm as curious about the organizations as I am about the output. Basically, I wonder if there are any studios that have been able to avoid total dysfunction and become the kind of business that will survive for decades. Or is the lifetime basically 5-10 years, then it all goes to hell.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Infinitron - Yeah, that's a bit of a loaded question. Maybe I should narrow that to has autonomy (i.e. is not a just division of a larger company) and is still making roughly the same kind of games. They could still be part of the decline, but as long as they haven't shifted over to facebook/mobile I'd let them slide.

I'm as curious about the organizations as I am about the output. Basically, I wonder if there are any studios that have been able to avoid total dysfunction and become the kind of business that will survive for decades. Or is the lifetime basically 5-10 years, then it all goes to hell.

Well, the folks at Bethesda have been remarkably successful in keeping their Tamriel setting alive for almost 20 years. It's been massively dumbed down of course, but the same basic idea of a first person open world action-RPG is still strong, and it's still the mainstay of their company.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
id software has to be the longest one. Valve is going pretty strong, but they have Steam money supporting them.

Well depending how you define these things, Nintendo seems to fit what you're asking for.

AC Sleighter

Novice
Nintendo too big and diversified to count? Not exactly Codex style, but Miyamoto has been a pretty consistent presence for 30 years

True, I hadn't thought of Bethesda (at this point I think I've mentally filed them in the EA/Activision/large publisher category). I'll actually say Blizzard has maintained its identity pretty well up until the last year or two. Starcraft 2 hasn't taken off and Diablo 3 was kind of a fiasco, but I think part of the magnitude of the blowback is because they are sequels to two of the defining juggernauts of their respective subgenres.

Both of those companies have gone full-on corporate behemoth. Are there any smaller companies that have done it? Or is the only viable path to go big or go home?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I would add Remedy Entertainement to that list.

What the hell were those guys doing between 2003 and 2010, anyway?
They were making Alan Wake, starting over a couple of times, if I'm not mistaken.

And who funded this? They must have been doing other things as well. 7 years!
Microsoft gave them a lot of cash, as Alan Wake was supposed to be one of the big XBOX360 exclusives. They kind of missed the console launch window. :D

tuluse

Arcane
I don't think any companies from the 90s tried to stay small. They all expanded once they had the cash. So I don't know if it's something that couldn't be done, or something that just no one even tried.

Fargo wants to stay small with InXile though, so I guess we'll see how that goes.

I would add Remedy Entertainement to that list.

What the hell were those guys doing between 2003 and 2010, anyway?
They were making Alan Wake, starting over a couple of times, if I'm not mistaken.

And who funded this? They must have been doing other things as well. 7 years!
Microsoft gave them a lot of cash, as Alan Wake was supposed to be one of the big XBOX360 exclusives. They kind of missed the console launch window. :D

Well there you go, that's the business model:
1. Live in Finland
2. Have major hit
3. Milk Microsoft

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
I don't think any companies from the 90s tried to stay small. They all expanded once they had the cash. So I don't know if it's something that couldn't be done, or something that just no one even tried.

Fargo wants to stay small with InXile though, so I guess we'll see how that goes.

Brian has said that back in the 80s and 90s, it was very difficult to survive in the development business without becoming a publisher yourself.

Scruffy

Ex-janitor
Patron
Codex 2012 Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014
True, I hadn't thought of Bethesda (at this point I think I've mentally filed them in the EA/Activision/large publisher category). I'll actually say Blizzard has maintained its identity pretty well up until the last year or two. Starcraft 2 hasn't taken off and Diablo 3 was kind of a fiasco, but I think part of the magnitude of the blowback is because they are sequels to two of the defining juggernauts of their respective subgenres.

Both of those companies have gone full-on corporate behemoth. Are there any smaller companies that have done it? Or is the only viable path to go big or go home?

i honestly believe that SC2 is better than SC1 and Brood War in every aspect though, i enjoy it immensely and bought a lifetime bnet subscription for it. Then i tried D3 and wanted to cry out of my asshole.

But D3 clearly suffers from sucktivision syndrome and is just a huge attempt at scamming people imo.

Viperswhip

Novice
I really, really liked Wing Commander 4 and 5 and Privateer 2. I know Privateer 2 was a little buggy, but I don't remember them, which means I loved the gameplay enough that the annoyances were considered minor. I never played the Ultima games.

Zeriel

Arcane

This is what I was thinking too. You can see the decline start to set in now (though it probably had its roots as soon as WoW came out and was absurdly successful), but until very recently it still seemed very contiguous with their early work, and certainly they had a reputation that was kind of unrivalled in the industry as a PC exclusive developer who refused to put out bad games.

Firaxis is another good name. They definitely don't extend much beyond the 5-10 year timeline, though.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom