Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Ultima VIII: The Lost Vale and Arthurian Legends Interview at GameBanshee

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Tags: Arthurian Legends; Origin Systems; Sheri Graner Ray; Ultima VIII: Pagan; Ultima VIII: The Lost Vale

Gamebanshee has interviewed ex-Origin Systems' Sheri Graner Ray, writer on Ultima 7 and 8, about two canceled RPGs she worked on while at Origin, Ultima VIII: The Lost Vale, an expansion for Ultima VIII: Pagan, and Arthurian Legends, "a traditional isometric Ultima style game" set in the world of King Arthur. Have a snippet:

GB: What circumstances led to Ultima VIII: The Lost Vale being cancelled despite the fact that the expansion pack had actually gone gold? While Ultima VIII hadn't met sales expectations, couldn't it have been packaged in the eventual Gold Edition to make that bundle pack more enticing?

Sheri: Honestly, it was directly due to a lack of sales. Back then you couldn't do anything as DLC, it had to have a box and go on a shelf with all the commensurate marketing dollars added to it. It came down to straight numbers. If the same percentage of U8 players bought the add-on as U7 and U7.5 players bought THOSE add-ons, it simply didn't justify the cost of manufacturing and distributing the U8 add on.

Also at that time Ultima 9 was beginning, as was "behind closed doors" discussions for Ultima Online. Crusader was in full production and so was Wing Commander 3 - complete with live action. On top of all that EA was starting to make noise about a cut back in headcount for ORIGIN.

So it's just safe to say the company's attention had already moved on from Ultima 8, which was seen as a less than successful chapter in Ultima history. Thus, there was no enthusiasm for Lost Vale.

GB: Is it possible that anyone out there still has a gold copy of Ultima VIII: The Lost Vale? With the popularity of digital download services and classic RPGs, wouldn't it be feasible that a working, "as is" copy could be released and even reasonably profitable in today's market?

Sheri: I know that every Ultima fan out there desperately wants there to be a copy of Lost Vale somewhere, but honestly there just isn't. It was in the early days of the ORIGIN/EA merger and ORIGIN still wasn't doing much archiving. Frankly, I don't even think U8 was archived, so there's no way Lost Vale was. It was a small project with a small team, for a project that was kind of... well... a disappointment for the company. Add to that, the fact the company's attention was on the much bigger and brighter Crusader and Wing 3 titles. Plus the looming overhead cuts that were coming. There just wasn’t thought enough of doing an archive.

GB: Let's switch gears to the Arthurian legend RPG. Based on what we could dig up, it's unclear as to whether or not it was supposed to be an Ultima game. Did ORIGIN have the intention of creating more games in the "Worlds of Ultima" series? Or was there just an idea for an independent Arthurian RPG? In essence, how did the game evolve into and out of the "Worlds of Ultima" spin-off series?

Sheri: The most interesting thing about Arthurian Legends is it was a completely employee driven idea. It was the brainchild of Brian Martin, a designer on several of the Ultimas and a major player in the Brittania Manor haunted houses. He came up with the initial idea and sold it “upstairs” as a way to reuse the Ultima engine. He convinced Richard that it could be made with fewer people than a traditional Ultima, faster than a traditional Ultima and that it would be different enough from Ultimas to not compete with them. At the same time it could still draw on the popularity of the “ORIGIN” name.

Although “Worlds of Ultima” was mentioned a time or two in the early phases of the game, I don’t think it was ever intended to be a “Worlds of Ultima.” It was always an independent, stand-alone, idea.​

Read the interview in full here.

(Why, yes, Infinitron is out for a bit.)

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Whatever they say, that no one bothers to archive their goddamn games in a company like EA is a complete wonder to me, who is paranoid about backing up every goddamn thing.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
GameBanshee doing retrospective stuff now?
Cool. Probably that popamoler Beeker who held them back.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
It is such a fucking shame there is no archive of this. I SO hoped that the Origin Museum would possibly find it when they went through all the older stuff back a while. :(

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Think about it... the lost valley... in a dumpster somewhere.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Like I told Bee, I can't help but feel disappointed by how clueless Sheri is about the design aspects of Arthurian Legends. I wonder if somebody else might know about such things.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
I wonder if it had any new music (and also composed by Neno Vugrinec)? Because Pagan's soundtrack was fucking amazing.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Good thing that they never released the ultima viii expansion, once around in pagan was enough, fucking game managed to destroy an entire franchise... not by itself mind you, 9 more than helped in that regard.

Alex

Arcane
I can understand EA not keeping a copy of it around. But really, I can't help but imagine someone must have kept a copy to himself. An employee, a distribution manager. Someone must have a copy somewhere, right?

I would say there's many a copy out there.

If a team like Stones of Arnhem could keep all of that stuff preserved 20 years then surely big ol' EA had people doing the same for a game that was already finished and ready to go.

Officially or unofficially, someone has it. I'd very much like to see it.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I would say there's many a copy out there.

If a team like Stones of Arnhem could keep all of that stuff preserved 20 years then surely big ol' EA had people doing the same for a game that was already finished and ready to go.

Officially or unofficially, someone has it. I'd very much like to see it.

Don't be so sure. The industry was less standardized back then, and it could be that Origin were just less professional about these things. They also lost the source code to Ultima VII a year or two after Serpent Isle's release.

Mother Russia

Andhaira
Andhaira
Dumbfuck Queued
Codex 2013
So Arthurian Legend became Crusader No Remorse + No Regret then?

Quite the paradigm shift.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom