Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Torment Kickstarter Update #9: Chris Avellone!

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Chris Avellone; InXile Entertainment; Kevin Saunders; Torment: Tides of Numenera

Today's Torment: Tides of Numenera Kickstarter update brings surprising news. Despite claiming earlier that it was not possible, inXile have found a way to bring Chris Avellone(!) onboard the project, albeit in a mainly supervisory role. It's a stretch goal, of course. I quote:

At $3.5M, Chris will be joining our design team. He’ll have two primary roles. First, he will be reviewing and providing feedback on all creative elements of the game, including the story, characters, and areas. His input will be invaluable as a resource to Colin in further detailing the creative vision for the game. Second, he’ll be designing and writing an eighth companion for the game, working with Colin and Monte to craft a companion ideal for both Torment and the Ninth World.​

There's also another new stretch goal, at 3.35 million dollars, which will add yet another feature to Castoff's Labyrinth:

Not everyone in the Labyrinth has a living counterpart. Lacunae are figments of your mind that represent parts of yourself (or do they?). Through conversing with a Lacuna, you'll discover puzzles and quests, and might even enhance your own abilities. As we delve to deeper fathoms, you’ll be able to find more Lacunae with whom to interact. (The Fourth Fathom is less than 2000 backers away!)​

The update also addresses the concerns that some people have had over the game having too many writers (ie, "too many cooks spoil the broth"). I'll quote it in full:

A few of you have asked whether we're bringing too many writers on the project. Will it be difficult to manage? How will they all agree? Rest assured that more writers only helps us. Colin is in charge of the overall story, and will define the constraints required for each area to connect with the larger story. Each writer will then have one or more specific areas (and/or companions in some cases) to flesh out. There will be considerable creative freedom, especially for areas that are less central to the core storyline, but the result will be a cohesive whole.​

We’re also developing conventions that all writers will follow, ensuring consistency in design and also how the Ninth World setting is conveyed. These will include writing style conventions, though not any so rigid as to constrain each writer’s talents.​

The result is a very modular design, with a single creative lead to make sure everything ties together (and having Chris Avellone review the creative elements will only strengthen the vision). Managing a team of writers is how many story-driven RPGs are made, including Planescape™: Torment. Chris Avellone was the lead on PS:T, but there were seven designers working with him to make the game as deep and rich as it was. We’ll be following the same approach on Torment, as well as having Ray Vallese as a dedicated editor to further bolster consistency.​

Lastly, the update promises that the issue of graphics (prerendered vs non-prerendered) will be addressed next week.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Great news about Avellone, not so great news about one more companion... i'm of the opinion less is more concerning companions.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
In before Vault Dweller upgrading his pledge to $2000? :)

jewboy

Arbiter
This is the mother of all stretch goals. As poor as I am I will definitely up my pledge if things look like they are getting close. Hell, this really could be a worthy PS:T replacement. It may be time for me to open that underage whorehouse I've been considering.

HanoverF

Arcane
Patron
MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
I just recently backed as an earlybird spot opened up, now I might have to consider upping my pledge and lose it,

I wonder what this will do to pledges, iirc Wasteland 2 surged quite a bit when MCA was added, frankly I'm not sure why they acquired the rights to the Torment name and are using it without any of the elements (DnD I can understand) or MCA's involvement so I hope it hits 3.5 soon.

jewboy

Arbiter
It's a traditional kickstarter lull period. Seems like a strange time to announce this. I wonder if Fargo is trying to change the nature of a kickstarter.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
It's a traditional kickstarter lull period. Seems like a strange time to announce this. I wonder if Fargo is trying to change the nature of a kickstarter.

He already did it once before, when he announced MCA for Wasteland 2.

http://ruinedkingdoms.com/wasteland2/

currentdiff.png

Lancehead

Liturgist
So now the "vomits of text" will be approved by the God Emperor himself.

:drink:

Capitalism

Educated
Avellone and Mitsoda on the same team... :smug:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom