Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Torment Kickstarter Update #9: Chris Avellone!

Doma

Augur
Aaw, I have my doubts about the kickstarter actually reaching that goal.

Still, I want Avellone to join, so I guess I am upgrading my pledge and hoping for the best.

Gakkone

pretty cool guy eh
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Aaw, I have my doubts about the kickstarter actually reaching that goal.

Still, I want Avellone to join, so I guess I am upgrading my pledge and hoping for the best.

It's going to make it without a doubt.

Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming!
Yep, as with most kickstarters, there's gonna be a major spike at the end of the campaign. They will propably reach that goal even earlier though.

WetWorks

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014
Hopefully you are right, getting Avellone onboard would up my hopes for this at least resembling the writing and depth of the original.

Lancehead

Liturgist
2D stretch goal will be the final major trick up their sleeves, methinks.

Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming!
Yep, if considering doing 2d backgrounds, they're propably keeping this stretch goal for the grand finale of the campaign.

Minttunator

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Wrath
RPS has already covered this as well: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/03/22/man-for-sale-chris-avellone-on-torment-kickstarter/

Roll up roll up! We have one man for auction! Cofounder of Obsidian Entertainment, lead designer for a thing called Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic 2, lead designer on a thing called Planescape TM: Torment. Anyone? Anyone for a designer man? You sir? You ma’am? You look a likely sort for a single player, story-driven, isometric role-playing game. Come on lady, do you like complex and nuanced morality, deep and reactive choice and consequence, and immersion into a new and strange vision? Sounds sexy doesn’t it sir. LOOK AT HIS CRANIUM. Looooooook at those sexy hands of design-orientated development skills! Well give us $3.5M and you can have him you cheeky buggers.
:incline:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I'm concerned Avellone's going to be stretched thin by all the writing he's doing. Like how Marvel and DC put their best-selling writers on half a dozen books or more and all of them suffer as a result.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
http://www.vg247.com/2013/03/22/chris-avellone-joins-torment-tides-of-numenera-dev-team/

Brian Fargo said:
“We never stopped pursuing having Chris involved,” Fargo explained. “There was always a chance, but we never dared to hint that that was even a possibility. So we’ve stayed pretty straight-forward saying ‘It’s not going to happen’, but meanwhile I was working behind the scenes, as was Colin [McComb] and Kevin [Saunders].

“Chris always had a desire,” Fargo stressed, but said that it all fell down to Obsidian head Fergas Urquhart, who needed Avellone’s expertise on Project Eternity. inXile had to work out what the scope of his role would be, and how he’d fit into the Torment production cycle. Eventually terms were met and joint custody of Avellone was agreed upon.

Lancehead

Liturgist
I'm concerned Avellone's going to be stretched thin by all the writing he's doing. Like how Marvel and DC put their best-selling writers on half a dozen books or more and all of them suffer as a result.
Why are you worried? I get the impression you don't like his writing to begin with.

DeepOcean

Arcane
I guess his design duties on Wasteland 2 are over, as the full production started. So he is going to work on Project Eternity and Torment only, and Torment is going to have a long pre-production.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Why are you worried? I get the impression you don't like his writing to begin with.
I'm a concern troll dont'cha know?

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
It was already quoted in the main TToN thread that he's only going to write one companion himself, and do only consulting work on other content, so we're talking about a cherry topping, not the main cake.

Stilll nice, though.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

I think he can handle Eternity and Torment. He already finished Wasteland 2.

Syl

Cipher
They kind of blew it up with a stretch goal of only 3.5M, which they will reach anyway. Should have make it 5, for a truly awesome finish.

jewboy

Arbiter
Well it's not a cherry topping if he convinces Colin to make important changes to the entire game. So, yeah he is mostly a consultant / adviser, but it could have important effects on the overall game. MCA could prevent various retardations for one thing.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
avellone.jpg

Avantre

Educated
I guess his design duties on Wasteland 2 are over, as the full production started. .

Yes, he's done on that. It's been confirmed by a few InXile/Obsidian people before, most recently Kevin Saunders in the update reply area where he said "Chris's completed his work on Wasteland 2 late last year."

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom