Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Matt Chat 187: Lord British on Shroud of the Avatar

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Matt Barton; Portalarium; Richard Garriott; Shrouds of the Avatar: Forsaken Virtues; Ultima

The latest episode of Matt Barton's show is a one hour interview with Richard Garriott, mostly about his Shroud of the Avatar Kickstarter. I haven't watched the entire interview yet, but one thing I caught while skimming it is a candid admission by Garriott that he was a poor storyteller back in the day without Warren Spector's help. He hopes his recent acquisition, Dragonlance co-author Tracy Hickman, will help with that in SotA. Here's the video of the interview, together with Matt's comments:

This week, I'm pleased to present a very special guest: Richard "Lord British" Garriott, the father of computer role-playing games. I'm sure this man needs no introduction with you guys. We talk mostly here about his Shroud of the Avatar kickstarter, which you definitely don't want to miss if you're a fan of Ultima and Ultima Online. The game will offer some really neat innovations, including a scalable multiplayer option and tons more interactivity than we've grown accustomed to. I'm in at the $125 tier for the box and cloth map.​

Ahem! So much for big promises.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
LB looks like a man that realised he was way smarter than those around him, and decided to just do whatever he wants, whenever he wants... and scary enough, he's easily doing it.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
The scary thing is, what LB says in the interview makes a lot of sense. He almost convinced me to pledge to his game.
Luckily, I'm out of money at the moment.

4too

Arcane
SCIENCE!1! Evocation

While waiting for a SFF audio Podcast to down load, http://www.sffaudio.com/?p=13472 , I am delaying the implied gratification of " 'the glory of the coming of the lord' ",

in this MUST EXPERIENCE Matt Chat.

Yes I am sweetly mocking any deification of Ricky Garriott.

Matt I know who my father is … ;)

Your personal revelation, is not my revelation.

In this expansive subset of agreement I will witness - A - 'father' of the computer RPG.

This particular Kickstarter. No plan to buy in, AND I will enjoy reading the collective experience at this esteemed virtual cull de sac.

Brief back story.

The only Ultima's in my inventory were impulse buys from the bargain bin or GOG, and never installed, one Ultima Underworld and the pulp fiction Sci Fi titles.

Is this behavior of a shrewd hunter gatherer or a compulsive pack rat, world opinion need not reply, I may just have 'better' or higher priorities for my time,

… or life is too short. ;)

Once again I sing, I only care, because YOU care!

I will derive many shades of entertainment, and yet my experience as a whole will not be influenced or tainted by hours of play time with an Ultima Lord B. title.

I willfully volunteer to join the blind test faction that must suffer a cure through a drug free positive world view.

In the name of almighty SCIENCE!1! I evoke THE POWER OF PLACEBO!

(Pause for effect and/or affectation.)

My opinion shall be hence forth grounded in not knowing, and (not?) knowing that I don't know!

Don't know.

Who?

O.K. Matt who is this Richard Garriott.

4too

4too

Arcane
" ' Dust Be Diamonds, Water Be Wine, Happy, Happy, Happy, All The Time, Time! ' "

Effective sales presentation, Matt Chat has facilitated.

A definite win for Matt.

First time I sat through a Richard Garriott sales pitch, count that as a win.

(Insert snarky special olympics reference ...)

So little here invested, (time and text), and, would prefer this to succeed, not by how it is like other MMO's / micro 'truncations', by how it might be different.

Back handed enthusiasm, can SotA stir the pot / turn the compost?

4too

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
What can change the nature of shitty copy pasta MMO's? I'm however not putting my money on Gariott. Nothing he has said has won me 100% over.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
That's the first interview where he doesn't look like a pimp. Nearly comes off like a human being with a vested interest in making a good game. SotA sounds still like shit thought

I don't expect it to be anything in the RPG department but based on that interview and the reddit one, it sounds like it is on track to be an entertaining game in the UO kind of way - leaky and annoying mechanics but the right basis for an entertaining multiplayer experience.

Micmu

Magister
Yeah, there's absolutely no reason to pledge to this richass. None.
Even if you're interested in the game and it will be good (ROFL) ... you can "pledge" the classic way and just buy it when it's out.

BobtheTree

Savant
Listening to this interview I think highlights that Garriott actually has some great ideas for a MMO experience as well as RPGs in general that we haven't seen for Ultima. It also seems like he's taking the fans seriously and hearing people's concerns which means over time the game should shape itself into something much better than what we're seeing now.

Still, not giving money to it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom