Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News First Legend of Grimrock 2 screenshot is outdoors and pretty

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Almost Human Games; Legend of Grimrock 2

Last week, Almost Human's development blog had a post about two potential designs for Legend of Grimrock 2 that had been scrapped. It caused some disappointment on the Codex, as you will see:

Grimrogue

Everybody loves a good roguelike, right? Antti and I are big fans of roguelike games here at the office, so it was only natural that this idea, the amalgamation of a roguelike game with Grimrock, has popped up every now and then in our discussions. After all, the tile-based nature of Grimrock seems to be a perfect match with roguelike game design.​

With this design levels would be procedurally generated, with some custom made levels here and there. Turn-based combat would probably work better than pure realtime. We even made a quick prototype entitled Grimrogue with turn-based combat and a minimap in one corner of the screen.​

One problem we quickly realized was that the player would be focused on the minimap when exploring the randomly generated dungeon and all the gorgeous 3D graphics would be almost like a gimmick. We also had our doubts about turn-based combat. Turn based combat works really well from a topdown perspective where you can see all the units and can think about the best tactics. In first person view where you can only see in one direction, turn-based combat takes away tactical movement and reduces combat to a locked in place affair.​

In the end, we felt that with this design we would lose lots of the appeal of Grimrock, the puzzles and the chaotic nature of realtime combat, so the design was scrapped. It would certainly be possible to make this sort of game but it wouldn’t have been Grimrock.​

Travel around the Northern Realms in 30 days

Another concept which we tried to make work really hard was travelling in many locations around the Northern Realms, the world of Grimrock. We were initially really excited about this idea, and we made a prototype of the world map, with towns, villages and adventuring locations. There would have been a storyline that ties the main locations together much like the main quest in many RPGs.​

In the prototype, the party could travel between the map nodes and choose where to go next. Towns and other encounters were menu based “resource management nodes” and adventuring locations were dungeons with puzzles and monsters. We were so happy about this design that we were about to write a lengthy blog post about it, when doubts began to haunt our heads.​

[...] The problem with this design is the lack of focus. We believe that the charm of Grimrock is compactness, tight focus and emphasis on fun core gameplay. In Grimrock 1, the environment, the dungeon itself has personality and the quest was personal to the characters. Having multiple locations with different atmospheres and multiple linked goals would take some of that charm away.​

A game of this sort could surely be made, but, again, it would not be a Grimrock game.​

It was assumed that since Legend of Grimrock 2 would not be an open world game, it would therefore be set entirely within a dungeon like its predecessor. The latest blog post, however, has revealed that assumption to be unfounded. Check out that screenshot:

Pretty! Now, if they can do something about that combat mambo, maybe we'll have a worthwhile real-time competitor to Might & Magic X.

Stabwound

Arcane
In this case, the outdoor maps are probably the exact same as outdoor maps, but with an outdoor tileset. The blog post just before releasing this shot talked about how the game will be compact and without an open world, so it's probably just tunnels of trees.

Luzur

Good Sir
eh? so the whole "derp we scrapped going outdoors so you can go even deeper into the caves!!11" stuff was just lies?

Snikt

Novice
I don't see how outdoor maps don't fit with a dungeon crawler, in fact I would find a dark shadowy forest maze much more spooky than another rectangular underground dungeon.

Snikt

Novice
A dungeon is just a maze with combat and loot, there's nothing stopping a dev from subverting the underground trope and making a "dungeon crawler" entirely outdoors/wilderness, just using trees, rocks, hills or whatever as the "walls". Where's the rule that says a dungeon crawler needs to be indoors?

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
There's no such rule, Lands of Lore is outdoors plenty and DM 2 - while unloved - is still a fun game.

Snikt

Novice
Lands of Lore, I need to play that game, I got it all set up in ScummVM with Roland roms too.

Snikt

Novice
Thanks for the info, yep starting it again now the I remember the reason I got turned off was because you couldn't create a character or anything, but the "Virgin Interactive presents" by Picard sure is cool;)

Crispy

I feel... young!
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
I can see how an open world design for Grimrock 2 would be a bad idea. I mean you're pretty much forced to pixel hunt (exaggerating here a little) almost every wall in the first game looking for those buttons, switches and so forth -- I can only imagine how much time would be wasted trying to find 'clickable' tree roots, protuberances, etc. in an open forest environment. No thanks.

Broseph

Dangerous JB
Patron
Screenshot looks gorgeous, but MMX will be the better game because turn-based. Even well executed real time is inferior.

Snikt

Novice
I don't think it's possible to have real-time, blob combat in big open maps which isn't exploitable, or at least I've never seen it done. Dungeon Master and Eye of the Beholder would of had the same problems Grimrock did, if they evolved to the point of having more 'open' areas than just linear corridors. Grimrock combat is completely unexploitable in a narrow one-way corridor, it's when you lure the undead spearmen into an are with a single pillar in the middle, then you can just let them follow you around it, and when they move to the corner square but aren't facing you, you quickly attack them from the side, then move to the next corner and keep doing it till their all dead. Of course if the Grimrock enemies had decent AI they would probably stop following your party around and just surround you in an instant, but that's another story.

Broseph

Dangerous JB
Patron
I liked the MM games of the MM6 engine, I also liked Ravenloft and Ravenloft 2, but it's a crime how exploitable the combat is with the smooth-movement, you just move around, back and foward, clicking at enemies until they drop dead, Ravenloft even had keyboard shortcuts for party member attacks, so you just kept your fingers on the keys and tapped away while moving in FPS style near enemies.

Except in MM you will quickly get slaughtered at higher levels if you're fighting enemies that way. I can't imagine the Tomb of VARN being possible to clear in real time mode without some serious power gaming.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I will only be interested in this if I manage to finish LoG1 first, and the odds of that are not huge.

Minttunator

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Wrath
Looks great! I'm still hoping they do something different with the combat, though - the square dancing in the first game was fun for a while, but not exactly challenging and it got old fairly quickly.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom