Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Matt Chat 188: Joel Billings on the Collapse of SSI

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Tags: Electronic Arts; Joel Billings; Matt Barton; Mindscape; Panzer General; Strategic Simulations, Inc.

Matt Barton offers the final part of his interview with Joel Billings, discussing the company's troubles and eventual collapse:

In the final part of my interview with SSI president Joel Billings, we chat about how his company collapsed despite the success of Panzer General. Joel recounts the troubles he had with Electronic Arts, and why the decision to sell out to Mindscape ultimately proved his undoing.​

Sad stuff.

tindrli

Arcane
for some reason i thought that it would be a 10+ mins video.. hell.i even preparead a coffie and shit but.. everything was said in a 30 sec

:hmmm:

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
I was naive enough back then to think that, they are going to save them and bring to their former glory.
Heh, i was such a positive lad those days :/

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
That was pretty good. I didn't know that EA's cancerous tentacles had touched SSI (the partnership program with them).

But he still didn't ask the question about the right's of the old SSI Gold Box Games!

:x

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
That partnership program sounded as if it hurt them way more than it helped. I can't help but think that it might be better for game companies to have some cash reserves, keep the ownership of the company private, and build up slowly. But have any game companies succeeded and thrived when taking their time and following such a model? Blizzard or Valve, perhaps? So many others seem to just peak and crash.

Wizfall

Cipher
Good interview again.
Fantasy General was my personal favorite and i still think it's one of the best in his category if you can stand the graphics.
Some eastern developers tried to copy FG formula some years ago but the result, while entertaining, was far from being as good.

Monkeyfinger

Cipher
That partnership program sounded as if it hurt them way more than it helped. I can't help but think that it might be better for game companies to have some cash reserves, keep the ownership of the company private, and build up slowly. But have any game companies succeeded and thrived when taking their time and following such a model? Blizzard or Valve, perhaps? So many others seem to just peak and crash.

Larian have been carrying out this plan. Original Sin and Dragon Commander are kind of the culmination of it, and are likely to make or break the company

xilo3z

Educated
"Do you remember that company Microprose?"

Oh Joel...Must not know the target market for these videos ;)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom