Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Chris Avellone on being a Creative Director at Obsidian

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Chris Avellone; Obsidian Entertainment

In an interview for GamesIndustry, Chris Avellone describes his work at Obsidian Entertainment. It's pretty interesting stuff, giving us a glimpse into a day in the life of MCA, and also showing how Obsidian differs from other game developers in key ways. Check it out:

When most people think of a creative director, they picture the singular auteur behind a game's overall vision. Creative directors can frequently have their names become synonymous with the projects they work on. Examples include Ken Levine's BioShock Infinite, Warren Spector's Deus Ex, and American McGee's Alice, the latter of which actually included the creative director's name in the official title. Avellone holds the title of creative director, but he said that at Obsidian his title means something slightly different.​

"I suspect that what Levine and Spector do is more akin to what a project director at Obsidian does; they're the visionary responsible for the guiding of a project and everyone else on the team looks to them to set the tone and the goals of the project. Since we have multiple projects going on at once, having someone dedicated to each rather than overseeing both is ideal," he explained. "In my role as a creative director at Obsidian, my goal is to help project directors, designers, and other studio owners design and make 'fun' better at the company. I give advice and critiques when I can to help the process."​

[...] Avellone has three tools that he finds indispensable to his work. The first is the combination of Microsoft Word and Microsoft Outlook, a tool Avellone said is one of "boring necessity." Together, he uses the Office products to correspond with others within Obsidian, critique design tests and documents, and write pitch documents. The second tool is his sketchbook, which goes everywhere he goes.​

"I love my sketchbook," said Avellone. "If things are quiet and I don't feel like reading, then I'll just sit down and start drawing, usually stick figures. If beer is present, then stick figures are more likely to result. I did most of the RPG Codex stick figures for the Wasteland 2 Kickstarter while sitting in a dive bar on the beach a block away from inXile, and I was able to do a whole bunch beyond the requested number due to the... helpful power of alcohol."​

[...] Avellone believes the most important part of being a creative director is "taking in the big picture." He prefers to shepherd his team towards finding great execution in their own ideas, instead of driving his own vision forward by doing everything himself.​

"I don't like being the 'no' guy, I'd prefer to be the 'yes, and...' guy. I believe a lot of good game ideas are in the execution, not the original premise," he said. "Being aware of execution and trusting your designers to execute properly, and if not, trying to guide them towards reaching their ideas. Reminding them of priorities and what's important versus trying to do everything all at once, or worse, trying to do everything yourself. It only took one project 14 years ago to cure me of both. Planescape: Torment was my first lead designer role where it sunk in that trying to do everything yourself will drive you insane and likely do permanent damage to your health."​

Alcohol is indeed helpful for all matters related to the Codex.

Deleted member 7219

Some of the best times I've had on the Codex were while I was drunk.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
How do you grow up in Wisconsin without getting drunk once? No wonder he played RPGs, a person needs some kind of escape.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
No wonder he doesn't like alcohol, who in their right mind would drink Guiness...

EDIT:

untitled1j5ujz.png

:lol:

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
He should drink some when doing the Arcanum LP I guess.

Anthony Davis

Blizzard Entertainment
Developer
You know how some people make notes to remind themselves of important things?

During Fallout New Vegas, developers hung up captioned pictures of Chris Avellone that said something to the effect of, "Would it be fun to do a skill check here?"

There were other captioned notes too that developers made I think, but that was the one I remembered.

I personally think they made the notes as a reason to stare into his eyes...

Anthony Davis

Blizzard Entertainment
Developer
Oh man, he's not kidding about reading. He never stops.

One thing that was awesome, I let Obsidian have my extra copy of Legend by David Gemmell and reading through it AFTER Chris did and reading his copious notes everywhere through the book was an amazing experience.

Mother Russia

Andhaira
Andhaira
Dumbfuck Queued
Codex 2013
Oh man, he's not kidding about reading. He never stops.

One thing that was awesome, I let Obsidian have my extra copy of Legend by David Gemmell and reading through it AFTER Chris did and reading his copious notes everywhere through the book was an amazing experience.

David Gemmel created such amazing, bad ass characters. Druss and Waylander (Dakeras) were awesome.

Druss w. Snagga the Demon Axe vs Conan: Who would win and why?

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
anyway, how does that make you feel Roguey?
I think it's swell their relationship has lasted for nearly a decade.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom