Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Ars Magica CRPG Kickstarter Postmortem Podcast at PodOmatic

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Tags: Ars Magica; Ars Magica: Years of Conquest

PodOmatic has an audio interview with Larry Sawh, President of Black Chicken Studios (the studio that made Academagia). The first half of the interview (starts at about 4:00) is devoted to the failed Ars Magica CRPG Kickstarter, which you may remember since we posted about that Kickstarter and even did an interview about it together with Obsidian's Josh Sawyer. After that, the interview turns to the new, small-scope Kickstarter they have launched for an adventure gamebook about a Dwarven tale, Holdfast.

In this special episode of Arcane Connection CJ is joined by the President of Black Chicken Studios, Larry Sawh. We discuss our mutual love of Ars Magica, the Ars Magica computer game Kickstarter (and will it ever happen again?) and whether we will ever learn the secrets of House Diedne. CJ runs a IRC chat Ars Magica saga based on Black Chickens forums that began during the Kickstarter, and we mention that, as well as exciting projects coming our of Black Chicken Games in the near future and of special interest to rpg fans the new Holdfast gamebook Kickstarter.

You can find the Kickstarter for Holdfast at http://www.kickstarter.com/projects...-a-gamebook-of-dwarven-vengeance?ref=category

Black Chicken Studios are at http://www.blackchickengames.com/

In particular, Larry says (at about 7:30) that they wanted to make a series of Ars Magica CRPGs, telling the story of one covenant from 1066 to 1966. Damn.

Black

Arcane
Oh yes, go ahead, rub even more salt into those fresh wounds, woman.

Turjan

Arcane
In particular, Larry says (at about 7:30) that they wanted to make a series of Ars Magica CRPGs, telling the story of one covenant from 1066 to 1966. Damn.
Sigh. That would have been awesome. Oh well.

grdja

Augur
Ars Magica? As in "This is how entire World of Darkness ball started rolling" Ars Magica? As in "prelude to Mage The Ascension" Ars Magica?

:( A sad loss indeed.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I missed this Kickstarter back in 2012, which is a pity, but ultimately irrelevant, as I wouldn't be able to pledge the remaining 200K anyway.

Diablo169

Arcane
I was rooting for this but it was doomed to failure. The pitch was weak and the IP is relatively obscure. To pull something like this off as a kickstarter you need well known developers and plenty of press coverage.

This had neither.

grdja

Augur
Though they were more connected, I think names of most Hermetic houses appear in Ars Magica or stg like that.

Also since its mentioned that much. How playable and fun is Academagia? For non OCD people.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
I've never played Ars Magica and their kickstarter did a shit job explaining what the fuck it was. Add to that the involvement of a third party.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
I never met an Ars Magica player who didn't scoff at cRPGs.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
I really wish this would have been made, both the setting and theme could have made for a unique CRPG.

-Spectacle

clemens

Cipher
Patron
Codex 2014 Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
I never met an Ars Magica player who didn't scoff at cRPGs.

Here I am. But you're not wrong, people on the Ars Magica boards were not that excited about the video game (50/50 maybe).

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
:rage:

Almost as cool as the story of one man who saved the galaxy over the course of several years.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom