Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Codex Interview AdventureDex: A Conversation about the State of the Adventure Genre

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Infamous Quests; Mark Yohalem; Steven Alexander; Wormwood Studios

I still remember the day I played my first adventure game. I must have been around 11 years old then, a lonely kid in a new country. I came back from school that day to find my father and a friend of his messing around with our mighty 386DX family computer. My father's friend had brought with him a housewarming gift, in the form of several boxes of 1.44MB floppy disks filled with pirated games. One of those games was a monster that took up an entire box of floppies all by itself. Its name was King's Quest VI: Heir Today, Gone Tomorrow.

I was blown away. Never before had I seen a game with such production qualities and such depth. It made my small collection of NES games look like pathetic toys. From that day onward, I was a PC gamer and an adventure game fanatic. I got more adventure games wherever I could find them, pirating some, buying others. I played through all of the LucasArts and Sierra classics, from The Secret of Monkey Island to Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers. I also dabbled in less mainstream titles, like Revolution Software's Beneath a Steel Sky, Adventure Soft's Simon the Sorcerer and Legend Entertainment's Eric the Unready, all of which also turned out to be excellent. Life was good. But all good things come to an end.

My gradual estrangement from the adventure genre actually began not due to anything in the games themselves, but because of my computer. My once mighty machine was becoming long in the tooth, and newer games were becoming unplayable. Nevertheless, when visiting my wealthy, Pentium-owning friends, I couldn't help but notice that my beloved genre was changing. Classic point-and-clicks were dying off and being replaced with Myst clones and FMV games. Was I simply bitter that my computer was unable to run these newer titles, or did I truly dislike them for what they were? I'm actually not sure about that myself, nor does it really matter.

Whatever the case, it was around that time that I received a free CD-ROM with a gaming magazine, which contained a game called Ultima VIII: Pagan. It wasn't a very good game, but somehow it was intriguing enough for me to become further interested in the genre it represented. I used my modem to log onto to that new thing called "The Internet" that everybody was talking about back then, and I began to read. A couple of years after that, I learned about a game called Baldur's Gate that was supposed to be the next best thing in that genre. I bought it when it came out, and from that day onward my path towards becoming a Codexer was set.

But what about my old passion for adventure games? To be honest, after I got into RPGs, I didn't pay much attention to them. I was vaguely aware of a game called Grim Fandango that had turned out to be a commercial disappointment, that there had been some kind of awful action-adventure King's Quest sequel that nobody wanted to talk about, and that the genre was now considered "dead". But I didn't care, because by God, I had Baldur's Gate 2 and Planescape: Torment. Life was good.

Yeah. You all know what happened after that.

Over the course of the past decade of decline and genre rape, I became aware that the adventure genre was experiencing some sort of resurgence. European developers, with their lower operating costs, were continuing to release new adventure games, and over in the United States, a company by the name of Telltale Games had received the license to produce sequels to some of the old LucasArts properties. Had the genre been resurrected? I'm not sure. Much like in the RPG world, it seems few people took those European developers very seriously, and as for Telltale, in the dark corners of the Internet, certain fans whispered that their games were but shallow imitations of a glorious past.

Perhaps that's why it was no surprise that in February 2012, when legendary LucasArts veteran Tim Schafer launched a Kickstarter campaign to fund a new adventure game, he received over 3.3 million dollars from over 87,000 backers. It was an incredible success, that launched a new age of crowdfunding-supported game development that has benefited RPG fans greatly. At that point, I fully anticipated a glorious future for both genres, old-school adventure games and old-school RPGs marching side by side. Unfortunately, it didn't quite work out that way.

One by one, spurred on by Tim Schafer's success, various Sierra veterans made their way onto Kickstarter to fund spiritual successors to their old titles. And...they didn't do so well. Scott Murphy and Mark Crowe, creators of Space Quest? $539,767. Jane Jensen, creator of Gabriel Knight? $435,316. Corey and Lori Cole, creators of Quest for Glory? $409,150. And then there was the downright humiliating failure of Jim Walls' Kickstarter for a Police Quest spiritual successor.

Crowdfunding campaigns for newer franchises have fared a bit better. Revolution Software's Broken Sword sequel got $771,560 on Kickstarter, while Ragnar Tornquist's Dreamfall Chapters achieved a respectable $1,538,425. But none of them have gotten anywhere near Double Fine's number of backers. Tim Schafer's army of 87,000 seems to have dissipated just as quickly as it materialized.

In short: what the hell, adventure game fans, what the hell?

In all seriousness, I know I can't be the only confused by these events. Just what is going on with adventure games? Not being part of the contemporary adventure gaming "scene", I really had no idea where to start looking for answers.

Luckily for us, we just happen to have two commercial adventure game developers who post regularly on the Codex. Mark Yohalem, also known as MRY, is the lead designer of the incredible Primordia, a classic adventure game inspired by Planescape: Torment (read our interview with him here). Steven Alexander, also known as Blackthorne, is the lead writer and director of the upcoming Quest for Infamy, a Kickstarter-funded RPG/adventure inspired by the Quest for Glory series.

Time and time again, I've been impressed by Mark and Steven's thoughtful and knowledgeable posts in our Adventure Gaming subforum. These two know the score about adventure games, which is why I decided to write down some questions and have a bit of a chat with them, not just about the state of adventure games today, but also about the genre in general. The conversation you're about to read took place over the course of almost an entire month, and it may be the biggest wall of text the Codex has ever produced.

I'm pleased to present...

10200.png

Read the full article: AdventureDex: A Conversation about the State of the Adventure Genre

Last edited by a moderator:

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Looks like it's gonna be a fun read, even if it's gonna take me half a day to get through it :lol:
I will schedule time to read it tonight.

Ogg

Prophet
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
For those interested, Primordia is on sale on gog.com. It's a "buy 5, get 80% discount" offer.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
líberal
lìberal
Iiberal
L183r4L

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Also, if anyone actually reads this gigantic interview, I'll be astonished!

:rpgcodex:

Well, this was a pretty cool read mostly because all the rambling by Steven and Mark is very honest and informative. It also goes into just about every possible place, which is good because I thought the questions were kind of crap.

But still, article is shit and all participants are faggots for never naming Coktel's Goblins games :x:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Well, this was a pretty cool read mostly because all the rambling by Steven and Mark is very honest and informative. It also goes into just about every possible place, which is good because I thought the questions were kind of crap.

american-psycho-axe-scene-o.gif

But still, article is shit and all participants are faggots for never naming Coktel's Goblins games :x:

Well, I don't want to speak for them, but yeah, those are European and Euro adventure games seem to be their blind spot.

Monty

Arcane
Wow, that wall-o-text was almost Grunkeresque in length.

But an interesting read, :salute:to all involved.

Zeriel

Arcane
I have to agree with them where they tagged the presentation of old-school adventure games as a huge part of the charm. I loved the adventure games that focused on the wonderful art & writing over the puzzles. The switch from 2D to 3D was the most painful era of my entire fucking lifetime. It's especially sad in light of games like Chains of Satinav that show that 2D still looks and works wonderfully in its proper place.

Blackthorne

Infamous Quests
Patron
Developer
Codex 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Crap! How the FUCK could I fucking forget Goblins! Shit, you have no idea how many cigarettes I put out in an old ashtray next to a battered PC because of that goddamn game. Yeah, I feel like I should be slamming my balls in a refrigerator door for that, but you gotta admit - we talked about a fuckload of stuff in there... plus, my head-space was in my game, cause in-between answering questions, I was coding like a bastard for Quest For Infamy.

Anyway, thanks to anyone who read that - it was a hefty article!

Bt

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
They are a bit too rose-tinted about the puzzle quality in the old games and the quality of many of the games of ye olde era in general. There have been many stinkers made by Sierra, full of the most bullshit unfair puzzles the world has ever seen. Codename Iceman is a particular 'favorite', as is the "I have to replay 7 hours of the game to pick up some item that will save me, and do it again and again" type puzzle, made infamous in Leisure Suit Larry 2 when you're on the raft and die from one thing after another cause you failed to pick up the correct items much earlier. While dying every 20 seconds in games like SQ or KQ may have provided an element of direct feedback that what the player was doing was wrong;in contrast the Lucasfilm/Arts lack of 'dying' in many games could result in quite a bit of aimless wandering and clicking, trying to move the story along); it also was extremely frustrating at times where ordinary actions could have fatal consequences for no real reason.

Blackthorne

Infamous Quests
Patron
Developer
Codex 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
You'll get no argument from me about Codename: ICEMAN and the puzzles in LSL2! Let me tell you friends, I've played Codename ICEMAN and I've had a colonoscopy, and I'll take the colonoscopy again over having to play ICEMAN.

Bt

Monty

Arcane
BTW, why is "inclined Primordia" used instead of "included Primordia" on a couple of occasions? (eg: "Moreover, and I inclined Primordia in this criticism, they seem to lack the vibrancy")

Is this another Codex word replace of some sort?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom