Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Codex Interview AdventureDex: A Conversation about the State of the Adventure Genre

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Holy cow what a great round table discussion (and what great length too ;)). I have so many thoughts going around I can't keep them straight now, but I do have one question I want to make sure I get out.

MRY, mentioned that you need to have the proper kind of protagonist for a point and click adventure game. Specifically that it would need to be the kind of person who would pick up random junk and try to use it solve problems. Well, one huge exception to this trope of adventure games is Loom. You have no inventory, only pick up a single object ever (the distaff). Essentially you are an extremely powerful mage, who learns more spells as you explore the world.

So my questions are these. Why don't more adventure games follow this pattern? You gain new abilities as you progress and those abilities can be used at any time? What's interesting is that despite the total lack of item manipulation, no one would ever suggest Loom wasn't a proper pnc adventure game. I think it's because of the puzzles and environmental interaction is still very similar. It seems to me you could take the same basic mechanics of Loom and apply them to a variety of settings. In sci-fi you could gain augmentations or gadgets, you could have spy-thriller setting where you gain gadgets, etc and so forth. It seems like no one really followed up on this idea.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Holy cow what a great round table discussion (and what great length too ;)). I have so many thoughts going around I can't keep them straight now, but I do have one question I want to make sure I get out.

MRY, mentioned that you need to have the proper kind of protagonist for a point and click adventure game. Specifically that it would need to be the kind of person who would pick up random junk and try to use it solve problems. Well, one huge exception to this trope of adventure games is Loom. You have no inventory, only pick up a single object ever (the distaff). Essentially you are an extremely powerful mage, who learns more spells as you explore the world.

So my questions are these. Why don't more adventure games follow this pattern? You gain new abilities as you progress and those abilities can be used at any time? What's interesting is that despite the total lack of item manipulation, no one would ever suggest Loom wasn't a proper pnc adventure game. I think it's because of the puzzles and environmental interaction is still very similar. It seems to me you could take the same basic mechanics of Loom and apply them to a variety of settings. In sci-fi you could gain augmentations or gadgets, you could have spy-thriller setting where you gain gadgets, etc and so forth. It seems like no one really followed up on this idea.

My guess is that designers would find that sort of thing too limiting.

Actually though, the third season of Telltale's Sam & Max series sort of did this with the Devil's Toybox (a collection of toys conferring various psychic/magical powers), although they were supplemented with regular item usage.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
My guess is that designers would find that sort of thing too limiting.

Actually though, the third season of Telltale's Sam & Max series sort of did this with the Devil's Toybox (a collection of toys conferring various psychic/magical powers), although they were supplemented with regular item usage.
I thought a little more and realized the evolution of these mechanics was the Metroidvania style games. Those also featured dexterity challenges, and backtracking was seen as a feature not a bug like Mark thinks.

It's odd to me that you see it as limiting, when it seems like it's freeing to me as you can support many more kinds of stories and protagonists.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
It's odd to me that you see it as limiting, when it seems like it's freeing to me as you can support many more kinds of stories and protagonists.

That's assuming you're the kind of person who even cares about (dare I say it) ludonarrative dissonance. Like MRY said, it sure didn't hurt Gemini Rue's sales.

Maiandros

Learned
Possibly Retarded
For those interested, Primordia is on sale on gog.com. It's a "buy 5, get 80% discount" offer.

Go Go :hero:

Few days ago, Mark Kern wrote a similar article regarding his own genre, within which not surprisingly, he makes his potato. The indirect hint/self-reference being self evident. Now of course the site he hosted it on is a shitty b-rate ex-forum neo-shill site, which further provoked them certain arguments. Reasonable arguments. Blurring the line between posting and making money and all that. Arguments -shared- from Codexers. Those few that post in the decline mmorpg section anyway.

You may be a member from 2008, but you sure have shit for brains. Cause while i would have made the above association in any case (call me a cynic), you sure helped others get to it as well. All i am uncertain of, is which is worse. Being a moron, or a fanboy typing before you can think.

(that was a rhetorical tautology btw, don't start tiring yourself thiking)

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
For those interested, Primordia is on sale on gog.com. It's a "buy 5, get 80% discount" offer.

Go Go :hero:

Few days ago, Mark Kern wrote a similar article regarding his own genre, within which not surprisingly, he makes his potato. The indirect hint/self-reference being self evident. Now of course the site he hosted it on is a shitty b-rate ex-forum neo-shill site, which further provoked them certain arguments. Reasonable arguments. Blurring the line between posting and making money and all that. Arguments -shared- from Codexers. Those few that post in the decline mmorpg section anyway.

You may be a member from 2008, but you sure have shit for brains. Cause while i would have made the above association in any case (call me a cynic), you sure helped others get to it as well. All i am uncertain of, is which is worse. Being a moron, or a fanboy typing before you can think.

(that was a rhetorical tautology btw, don't start tiring yourself thiking)

I got a headache from reading this

Wizfall

Cipher
A great interview for those liking adventure games.
That makes 2 really great interviews coming from the adventure games genre after the one about Tex Murphy (which unlike this one only focus on Tex Murphy and FMV though)
http://www.adventuregamers.com/articles/view/25126
I'm more interested by the setting/dialogues/graphix than puzzles (but i do like puzzle, especially well integrated ones) in adventure games so "modern" games like the Runaway series, Syberia series or TLJ series are the one i like the most along some older games like Broken Sword 1, Beneath a Steel Sky and Geminie Rue.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Infinitron, I appreciate such content. Well done. That game -KQ6- was also one of my first - and I am still proud for beating it as a little kid, when we had no guides, no helplines and no internet.
Well done, well done!

Karellen

Arcane
This is a pretty awesome article. I've been thinking a lot about the basic gameplay design of adventure games lately, and it seems to me that the gameplay in these games is a topic which often gets shafted in favour of discussions about the art and the narrative. I find really frustrating, since in a lot of ways this reinforces the idea that adventure games are only about the story, and leads to a lot of people not having adequate language to express what it is that they do like about the gameplay. As a result, a lot of players might even verbalize that they don't care about the gameplay in adventure games, even when this may not be strictly true. So we get to this:

People who are mostly into look-and-plot -- which I'm positing describes more classic adventure game fans than classic RPG fans -- are actually quite well served by the current market. Games have gotten much more story-driven, the stories are much richer, and graphics and art design have gotten better and better. The only adventure game fans who are shafted by the current market are those who miss classic adventure game gameplay; but my experience with Primordia suggests this is actually a relatively small demographic even among those who loved classic adventure games.

I'm not really in any position to say for sure, but I think this is another case of people having a hard time articulating what they actually want, as opposed to what they think they want. Sure, the interactive movie genre with Walking Dead and Heavy Rain does get a lot of attention, but I think a lot of the hype surrounding them has to do with the game journalism's inferiority complex towards "respectable" media of storytelling, which leads them to hype up anything that has an "emotional" plot. On the other hand, while a good chunk of players do care a lot about narrative in games, I think it's an increasingly common sentiment that narrative in a game is empty if it doesn't happen in the context of real gameplay, particularly in the post-Dark Souls world. A "simulacrum" of gameplay along the lines of Walking Dead doesn't really cut it.

A major issue here, though, is that the format and game mechanics normally associated with "classic" adventure games don't easily lend themselves to a wide variety of narrative genres. It's not easy to build a "serious" narrative when the actual game is about the main character leisurely loitering about, picking up everything not nailed to the ground, repeatedly bothering strangers and constructing more or less Rube Goldberg-ish devices to deal with the fact that the universe arbitrarily obstructs his every move. It's not that you can't do it - Primordia for instance has a very sober mood, while still having its comedic bits - but given the basic gameplay preimse, a lot of adventure games end up being some variety of surrealist comedy, comedy-drama or black comedy (depending on how frequent and amusing character deaths are), and so people - not entirely without justification - tend to associate the basic mechanics of adventure games with dream logic and absurdity.

Here at Codex, too, it's not uncommon to have threads asking for "serious" adventure games. I think it's kind of telling; silly as they often are, in an RPG it's much easier to construct obstacles that feel consistent with the setting, as well as to give the narrative a sense of danger and weight, which lends a darker feel for the game. So you end up with substantial cognitive dissonance between admiring adventure games for their hand-crafted artistry, cerebrality and emphasis on narrative, while at the same time desiring a type of story and ambience that the basic adventure game format is often an uneasy match for. I think this is why people give games like Dreamfall a break - it's far from ideal, but at the same time they don't really know what it is they want, exactly.

In any case, I really enjoyed the interview. When I'm plodding away at my pet project (the base concept of which could be described as Loom-type adventure with a Metroidvania-ish structure), I frequently end up ruminating on some very fundamental issues like pacing, structuring of the game, the dichtomy between player agency and character motivation, and that sort of thing. When it comes to adventure games, and especially when you compare it to the exhaustive detail which some people apply to RPG design at places like this, it feels like there's a profound lack of theory on how those elements work and how they can be manipulated. It's nice to see other people talk about things like that, if only to feel less like a lunatic while you're procrastinating about them.

Murk

Arcane
This was a great article -- reminds me of some of the more interesting and nuanced threads found in Project Monkey.

Zeriel

Arcane
Karellen,

Good post, well written, but I for one know exactly what I want. I want more of the sorts of games we used to get. I want more modern-day Memorias. I want another 2D Simon the Sorcerer. I want--well, I guess, things I am unlikely to get. Disappointment is a reliable mistress.

And the idiots who think The Walking Dead is a legitimate adventure game?

day1peasant5.png

(Incidentally, Infinitron, get DU to make that an avatar. Robin's face is trolly as fuck.)

Tigranes

Arcane
I never had exposure to many adventure games when I was growing up, and discovered a few retroactively once their golden age was over. I've never been good with puzzles, though, and classic adventure games have their own peculiar form of puzzle-solving that used to get me stuck a lot. Myst series without a walkthrough was very difficult, and I think I got into the genre with TLJ which is comparatively a cakewalk. I've enjoyed the Gabriel Knight trilogy and the Robin Hood game (above), and I loved Grim Fandango and Sanitarium to bits, but I would normally have to rely on the internet for a solution every few puzzles, telling myself I'll look if I can't solve it within 15, 20 minutes or something. (E.g. the forest in Robin Hood where you keep getting lost). From that, I feel like adventure puzzle stuff just isn't my thing - I hate puzzles in RPGs, but I always thought that's because those puzzles are usually terribly terrible. Even then, I can see how the availability of walkthroughs really hurts these games, because (1) it really feels much better when you solve it yourself, and really changes how they stick in your head, these games; (2) some of the puzzles really are really obscurely designed that even after looking at the walkthrough I proceed with a vague sense of "how the hell was I meant to know that".

And then there's Psychonauts, which was awesome but I gave up halfway because of the terrible, terrible platform gameplay.

Still, this article made me start setting up Quest for Glory on the tablet. I'll try and resist all handholding.

kaizoku

Arcane
Infinitron finally deserves to be brofisted :smug:

Article saved into my phone and will be reading it soon.

Last edited:

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
@ Darth Roxor -- If it makes you feel better, I praised Gobliiins in a prior thread, but it almost seems more of a puzzle game than an adventure game. It's certainly a genre straddler. And shame on you for getting the name wrong! That said, I concede that I'm not that knowledgeable about European adventure games. Heck, I'm not even that knowledgeable about adventure games at all compared to someone like Steven!

@ commie -- Agreed, mostly, that Sierra's puzzles were flawed. (I thought that came through a bit in my answers; perhaps not.) Even still, though, I would submit that Sierra games had a much greater diversity of puzzle design than contemporary games do. Think about all the different things in Space Quest IV, from the catching the bunny to revealing the lasers. That game is full of outrageous unfairness, but that doesn't mean it didn't also have clever puzzles.

@ monty -- I was convinced it was something the site had done, but I went back and checked and somehow I typed it that way. No idea. I don't even use the term while posting on the Codex!

@ tuluse -- A couple of things. First, I think there's a concern that power-based puzzling will be too easy (as was arguably the case in Loom). Second, I think it's just hard to come up with enough puzzles that use the powers in distinctive ways. Third, I think some people would not consider the games true adventures. Fourth, I think people tend to like inventories for their own sakes, which is why, for example, Kyrandia has both powers and inventory puzzles.

For what it's worth, I mulled designs for two power-based adventure games over the years. One was a magic-based one, like Loom. You played as the long-lost prince of a kingdom that had been sacked by monsters; alas, you died in your infantile escape, and a necromancer Dr. Frankenstein type resurrected you. Double alas, when you hit your teenage years, the villagers decide to burn down Frankenstein's castle. Anyway, you'd have a variety of spells that you could use as you went, and a very small inventory. Maybe someday I'll come back to it. The other one was a superhero game, where you'd have at squad you controlled, so a decent diversity of powers, but one that would be static, more or less, throughout the game. In any case, it may also be that powers-based games would themselves only allow for so many types of characters (wizards, superheroes, perhaps spies).

As for Metroidvanias, I think backtracking works a little differently in them than it does in adventure games. To begin with, moving around is a lot more fun in a Metroidvania. Also, much of the backtracking is optional. Finally, the backtracking is always done in the form of "see a door, now find the key" rather than "fetch me an item." And it's usually at least roundtrip backtracking at worst, not ping-pong. Still, good point!

@ Maiandos -- Actually, the sale (handled by WEG) and the interview (about which WEG didn't know) weren't coordinated at all. Certainly part of my incentive in doing the interview is to raise the profile of Primordia and Wormwood Studios. But trying to squeeze a few $2 sales out of the Codex wouldn't really be a cost-effective use of my time, since even if 20 people from here bought the game, that would net me somethign like $7 total. That's a lot of interviewing to do for seven bucks! (Perhaps I misunderstood your post, though, and you weren't suggesting nefariousness!)

@ Karellen -- Your project sounds really neat (in fact, it's similar to an idea I was pitching for Wormwood's next project, though I was thwarted by Vic's love of inventories). I hope it makes its way out into the world sooner rather than later.

I think you're partly right about people being unable to articulate what they liked about adventure gameplay. But I guess what I'm talking about is not the positive reviews that other games got, but the negative commentary Primordia got even within the classic-adventure-game-fan community. Now, I'll be the first to admit (1) that the game is riddled with flaws and (2) that, despite my best efforts to suppress it, I have a defensive streak when people criticize it. So my reaction might be all wrong. But it seemed to me a large amount of people who grew up playing adventure games and say they loved them nevertheless said, for example, that Primordia had too many puzzles or too many inventory items or that it was grossly unjust that you could fail puzzles in Primordia (never mind that there were no deaths or dead ends) or that the puzzles required you to remember too many obscure details (never mind that the datapouch stored every necessary number or factoid and there was a built-in hint system).

If those criticisms had come exclusively from an 18-year-old reviewer at IGN, I would've been inclined to dismiss them as a result of genre ignorance or ambivalence, but we got those criticisms from all over the place: an old-timer pro-adventure-game review on GameSpy, folks on Rock Paper Shotgun, message board posts on AdventureGamers.com, etc. Now maybe there's something else about the gameplay they really didn't like, and they were all misarticulating it, but I'm not sure. A lot of them seemed to just want more dialogue and visuals, and less puzzling.

Another random data point. Primordia was set up so that Crispin would automatically supply a context-appropriate hint if you'd been stuck for five minutes. Now, the hint system was imperfect. But mention of this feature was very, very rare in reviews or posts about the game. What was very, very common was complaints about Crispin demanding that you wait (around 60 seconds) before soliciting another hint from him. In other words, it strongly appears that the number of people who spammed Crispin asking for hints was many orders of magnitude greater than the number of people who allowed themselves to be stuck for more than five minutes. And even with the Crispin hint system, even people who really liked the game reported using walkthroughs.

That also suggests to something to me.

For what it's worth, I have some thoughts about how to address this issue, but I want to save them for another time (put otherwise, I need to recuperate from that epic interview). The basic gist is going even farther in the multiple-solution direction we took and basically stopping thinking of puzzles as gameplay-stopping obstacles and reconceiving of them as recurrent choice-and-consequence opportunities in which certain choices are only available if you're clever or neurotic enough to figure them out. To use a metaphor, puzzles would be less like locked doors and more like hurdles. You can run a 400-meter hurdle race, knock over every hurdle, and still make it to the finish line: you just look ridiculous and are unlikely to win the race. By contrast, if you're walking down a 400-meter hallway of locked doors, either you have the necessary keys/strong shoulder/lockpick to get through the doors or you don't. If you don't, you never make it to the end of the hall. Part of what seemed to bother players about the puzzles in Primordia is that so many of them were effectively locked doors; even when they weren't literally locked doors (which they often were!), they functioned that way.

Err, well, so much for saving my thoughts for another time. That's pretty much all I've got. :/

Sorry for the slow replies -- I can't really answer during the day.

Hormalakh

Magister
Rock on Infinitron :salute:. Reading the rest tomorrow.

so many games I haven't played in this interview....

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
MRY Reading your reply to Karellen, a timeless aphorism comes to mind: Everything Is Shit.

:rage:

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Going back to power-based puzzles, I think there are two very good recent examples how to do it and how not to.

The negative example is Gray Matter. Who the hell thought that magic trick interface was a good idea, I don't know. Mind you, it's not particularly offensive per se, but it's ultimately such a useless gimmick that doesn't really add anything to the game. I mean, what's the point? It's hardly a "puzzle" when you've got a manual open that describes each action step-by-step, you sometimes got to repeat already used formulas and you can't fail.

The good one, however, is definitely Memoria. You've got up to three spells that have to be used in various puzzles, often need to interact in combos, and every once in a while you're put into a scenario where you pretty much have nothing other to use than said spells. That was very neat and well thought through, and the multi-spell interactions gave them an illusion of having more uses than just three, especially considering that most of them worked on a turn on/turn off basis.

And shame on you for getting the name wrong!

Well, there's Gobliiins, Gobliins 2 and Goblins 3, so I figured the collective title for it would be just "Goblins games" :smug:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Going back to power-based puzzles, I think there are two very good recent examples how to do it and how not to.

The negative example is Gray Matter. Who the hell thought that magic trick interface was a good idea, I don't know. Mind you, it's not particularly offensive per se, but it's ultimately such a useless gimmick that doesn't really add anything to the game. I mean, what's the point? It's hardly a "puzzle" when you've got a manual open that describes each action step-by-step, you sometimes got to repeat already used formulas and you can't fail.

The good one, however, is definitely Memoria. You've got up to three spells that have to be used in various puzzles, often need to interact in combos, and every once in a while you're put into a scenario where you pretty much have nothing other to use than said spells. That was very neat and well thought through, and the multi-spell interactions gave them an illusion o

Ah yes, there have actually been a bunch of adventure games with spellcasting:

gate.jpg

And if you can deal with text adventures:

455-1.jpg

Great games, all.

Lancehead

Liturgist
The interview was nice read. Kudos to everyone involved.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom