Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Project Eternity Kickstarter Update #68: New Art

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Tags: Brandon Adler; Obsidian Entertainment; Pillars of Eternity

Bad news: Project Eternity backer portal launch is delayed until after Thanksgiving. Good news: there's been a new art update in the meantime. Here it is:

Areas

Last week on the forums Sensuki, Tagomika, and coffeetable brought up questions about areas we were outsourcing. I figured it would be better to show you the areas instead of talking about them. Take a look.

A shrine to the goddess of the hunt. (Click to enlarge.)

A drake skeleton amid thick overgrowth. (Click to enlarge.)

Both of these images come from the same wilderness area. While this area appears thick with foliage now, it was previously the site to horrific fires caused by drakes. Large swaths of ground were burned and only now has the land started to recover.

Concepts

Kaz and Polina have been hard at work getting concepts prepared for our current milestone and the next.

Polina has been focusing on creating the look and feel for our next big city - Twin Elms. Twin Elms is a unique mixture of ruined architecture from an ancient civilization with a layer of Viking-inspired Glanfathan buildings built into it.

Glanfathan buildings built into ancient ruins.

So I take it the second city is more like a village, right? ; )

To read the update in full, click here.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Should have posted the trolls:

pe-troll-580x326.jpg

Why aren't they red and wearing gray shirts? :rpgcodex:

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Yeah, I call bullshit on that... and no one even tried to take a bone or something, to make dragon armor/weapon and stuffies?

AN4RCHID

Arcane
Maybe drake's are just really common in this part of the world... You don't see people scavenging deer skulls from the side of the road.

Ramireza

Savant
Maybe drake's are just really common in this part of the world... You don't see people scavenging deer skulls from the side of the road.

Or maybe "our" group "recently" killed a Dragon! In Skyrim i learnt that Dragons skeletize within seconds and games always telling the truth!

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I am extremely excited by this new and unexpected development. Seeing pictures of some trees with bone and rock sprinkled in makes me want to burst out in song and dance.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
That clean and assembled dragon skeleton in the middle of nowhere is p. weird but it looks cool.

Maybe it's an undead dragon just chillin'.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
I'd love to see animated dead things that aren't human skeletons or zombies.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
skeletons on the open don't remain perfectly aligned or even with all the small bones

can't expect artists to think too hard

Last edited:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
New Qintarra.

The "we don't have enough people to maintain the site because of the holiday" is totally spin/bullshit. They knew well in-advance who wasn't going to be available and they suddenly realize a day or days before update time that it's a bad idea and they don't want anyone making any cracks about "Obsidicare roll-out problems"? That would be absurd, so obvs. the backer portal isn't finished. Good thing that's not the game itself or I'd be concerned about that milestone slippage.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
New Qintarra.

The "we don't have enough people to maintain the site because of the holiday" is totally spin/bullshit. They knew well in-advance who wasn't going to be available and they suddenly realize a day or days before update time that it's a bad idea and they don't want anyone making any cracks about "Obsidicare roll-out problems"? That would be absurd, so obvs. the backer portal isn't finished. Good thing that's not the game itself or I'd be concerned about that milestone slippage.
They could have shown the video regardless, it must not be ready either :M

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
They could have shown the video regardless, it must not be ready either :M
That's a strategic decision I mentioned in the megathread. They want a bunch of new people to watch the video and think "Hey I have to pre-order this" and well they can't do that all too well if there's no backer portal.

Gord

Arcane
[Roguey] Outsourcing area design? It's pretty clear the whole project is way over their head. Sawyer obiously totally underestimated the necessary amount of time and manpower to pull it off. Wouldn't be surprised if they will run out of money well before they reach the Beta stage and have to come crawling to InXile to beg for some more. [/Roguey]

:troll:

Nah, looking great. But I would love to see another video!

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
[Roguey] Outsourcing area design? It's pretty clear the whole project is way over their head. Sawyer obiously totally underestimated the necessary amount of time and manpower to pull it off. Wouldn't be surprised if they will run out of money well before they reach the Beta stage and have to come crawling to InXile to beg for some more. [/Roguey]

:troll:

Nah, looking great. But I would love to see another video!

:lol: Come on Roguey, admit it. You totally would have said this for any other Kickstarter.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
:lol: Come on Roguey, admit it. You totally would have said this for any other Kickstarter.
No...? Developers outsource art all the time. New Vegas had outsourced art.

They're outsourcing entire maps, not just piecemeal assets like Wasteland 2 has done with the Unity Store.

Come on, think about it.

Roguey said:
Larian outsourcing map design to China due to the massive amount of new content required for NPC schedules. :lol:

Cosmo

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Yeah, just imagine we're talking about Larian Roguey...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom